The Rumour Commode XXVIII: Stai Calma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Risky coach, could have been more prepared, with a bunch of players who needed to be handled with care, surely you see why I am frustrated with their decision.

I don't think there's a single Milan fan out there who isn't frustrated with this decision. But I agree with Balo45, he failed miserably at adapting to his squad. To such an extent that I doubt that having signed a better treq would have done much difference. Surely Stefano Sensi wouldn't have been the difference between success and the bitter failing we have behind us.

What I meant by handling those three player with care wasn't in regards to the coach. I meant in terms of man management/asset management. Without clear suitors and without clear instructions from the coach that he wanted them gone, how to handle those three? Put them all on the transfer market immediately and show our desperation?

The mercato is very much a many layered, complex undertaking with plenty of potential pitfalls. Not only do you have to get your goals ready before it happens, you also have to bob and weave through the negotiations and fleeting opportunities coming up here and there. In spite of all this I'm happy with what we did and I think the signings Maldini and Boban did last summer will help us out in the long run in a completely different way than the Mirabelli 2017 window.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Best discussion here in a while :thumbsup:

=====

Manchester United show interest in Vecino along with AC Milan [GdS]

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
It wasn't an immediate need but I have no problem with upgrading RRod. Sure, nothing wrong with this signing if you examine it alone.

But Leao? Over 20mil on an unproven player who can't be expected to immediately improve?

10m on Leo Duarte? Kjaer was available for the low-low 6 months ago too and was last minute alternative to Skrtel for Atalanta. Our last center back purchase from South America did much better there and didn't perform here (Gustavo Gomez), was this a reasonable bet to take when money needed to be spent either strengthening our squad for tactics last year or adding pieces that fit new tactics.

Had we allocated our funds intelligently, Theo would have been a brilliant cherry-on the top. My point of bringing him up was that he was our FIRST signing, while other things were still in questions while we left signing midfielders like Bennacer and Krunic after other purchases and our budget were confined.

I think you're being picky about weird things now. So what if Theo was the first signing? He was a target of opportunity.

The Duarte signing is the only one I'm completely at a loss to explain. Very weird, maybe he turns up as something in the end but it seems highly doubtful.

Other than that I don't understand which great midfielders we missed out on last summer. Maybe Tonali? But maybe not viable in terms of price and players desidre.I understand frustration at not prioritizing this area(I share it) because we had that problem with Galliani as well, but many were happy with the Bennacer move at the time. Considering the development he's shown already I think it's safe to say this was smart in hindsight as well.

Last edited:

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Antonio Vitiello
@AntoVitiello
1m
#Suso has arrived at Casa Milan for a confrontation with the management.

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
It wasn't an immediate need but I have no problem with upgrading RRod. Sure, nothing wrong with this signing if you examine it alone.

But Leao? Over 20mil on an unproven player who can't be expected to immediately improve?

10m on Leo Duarte? Kjaer was available for the low-low 6 months ago too and was last minute alternative to Skrtel for Atalanta. Our last center back purchase from South America did much better there and didn't perform here (Gustavo Gomez), was this a reasonable bet to take when money needed to be spent either strengthening our squad for tactics last year or adding pieces that fit new tactics.

Had we allocated our funds intelligently, Theo would have been a brilliant cherry-on the top. My point of bringing him up was that he was our FIRST signing, while other things were still in questions while we left signing midfielders like Bennacer and Krunic after other purchases and our budget were confined.

I agree on Duarte, not on Leao.

Leao might not have been an immediate need but you take a chance on what you believe to be an unbelievable talent. If you're wrong, then yes, it is really a bad move and that is why it is a gamble.

However, the benefits are astronomical if it hits, both on the pitch and in the event of an eventual sale.

I also disagree on Theo. RRod sucked and still sucks. You have to recognize when you're wrong and move on from certain players also. Theo was a very affordable purchase and has already doubled in price, easily.

I don't see it as a mistake that this was our first purchase. When you see an opportunity, you take it, you cannot always plan the market move by move, position by position. You have a list of goals and you cross them off as efficiently as possible, otherwise you end up wasting the entire market chasing the guys on the top of your list.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Arrived #Suso at Casa Milan for a confrontation with the management.
@MilanNewsit
@TRolfi

:O

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A solution is sought. The #Milan want to put it in exchange with #Under (which remains the Rossoneri's favorite)
@MilanNewsit

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I can imagine a Suso-Maldini confrontation, then Ibra steps in as Suso asks for 6m/year to renew and slaps him so far out of Casa Milan he will never return.

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
Call me naïve but I don't see a Croatian team, with strong ties to Boban just using him to escalate a bidding war.

I expect that our advances are legitimate, the team around Olmo may be using the interest in order to improve the contract terms, as well as their commissions but I don't see Dinamo dicking around with one of their biggest legends and a much larger club.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think there's a single Milan fan out there who isn't frustrated with this decision. But I agree with Balo45, he failed miserably at adapting to his squad. To such an extent that I doubt that having signed a better treq would have done much difference. Surely Stefano Sensi wouldn't have been the difference between success and the bitter failing we have behind us.

We will never know, but you can't dismiss inadequacy on the parts of Maldini and Boban.

"Well Giampaolo sucks, so what's the point of giving him what he needs when he will fail anyways" - surely that can't be the thought process when hiring someone.

What I meant by handling those three player with care wasn't in regards to the coach. I meant in terms of man management/asset management. Without clear suitors and without clear instructions from the coach that he wanted them gone, how to handle those three? Put them all on the transfer market immediately and show our desperation?

Are suitors going to line up now that we show what much crappier they are in a formation they've never played? Hakan is the exception here and GP is definitely the number 1 blame there, but the point still stands.

The mercato is very much a many layered, complex undertaking with plenty of potential pitfalls. Not only do you have to get your goals ready before it happens, you also have to bob and weave through the negotiations and fleeting opportunities coming up here and there. In spite of all this I'm happy with what we did and I think the signings Maldini and Boban did last summer will help us out in the long run in a completely different way than the Mirabelli 2017 window.

I agree with you for the most part. I just fault Maldini and Boban a lot more for our mess.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Under at all due to his injuries and lack of development despite of a lot of talent + promise, I just always thought he'd be one of those that's not intelligent enough to make it but I honestly haven't seen that much other than maybe a handful of Roma games where he has started. That being said he's clearly talented and has a deadly left foot

But if it means its the only way we can get rid of Suso then go for it... With Samu and Under we'd have two fast paced wingers for the right who can create something out of nothing really on a good day

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
We will never know, but you can't dismiss inadequacy on the parts of Maldini and Boban.

Not completely, no. But we can assign weight to factors differently.

In any case I salute you, and bid you thanks for our discussion so far.

We should pick it up again in the summer when we have more data.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
no Vecino plz, no matter how much local interista crowd may be pleased, just no.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree on Duarte, not on Leao.

Leao might not have been an immediate need but you take a chance on what you believe to be an unbelievable talent. If you're wrong, then yes, it is really a bad move and that is why it is a gamble.

However, the benefits are astronomical if it hits, both on the pitch and in the event of an eventual sale.

I also disagree on Theo. RRod sucked and still sucks. You have to recognize when you're wrong and move on from certain players also. Theo was a very affordable purchase and has already doubled in price, easily.

I don't see it as a mistake that this was our first purchase. When you see an opportunity, you take it, you cannot always plan the market move by move, position by position. You have a list of goals and you cross them off as efficiently as possible, otherwise you end up wasting the entire market chasing the guys on the top of your list.

I disagree with this sentiment. This sentiment was what got us Bonucci and messed up that market which started this entire cycle of mess.

We are not in a position right now to be gambling. Missing CL again was huge last year, even if we are just a point off. Inter was in the same mess not long ago and getting there (albeit lucky) they have been able to build off of that.

Again, I am not criticizing just those moves, or the order of the moves. I am criticizing the strategy. If you plan on moving in the market with the "When you see an opportunity, you take it, you cannot always plan the market move by move, position by position" then your choice in managers should reflect that as well.

And I reiterate, I fucking hate Giampaolo, but he's never been known as the guy who can be given good players in random positions and make it work or as a great mentor. His previous players has mentioned that about him (Quagliarella).

I think you're being picky about weird things now. So what if Theo was the first signing? He was a target of opportunity.

The Duarte signing is the only one I'm completely at a loss to explain. Very weird, maybe he turns up as something in the end but it seems highly doubtful.

Other than that I don't understand which great midfielders we missed out on last summer. Maybe Tonali? But maybe not viable in terms of price and players desidre.I understand frustration at not prioritizing this area(I share it) because we had that problem with Galliani as well, but many were happy with the Bennacer move at the time. Considering the development he's shown already I think it's safe to say this was smart in hindsight as well.

Bennacer has been a decent player. He's being hyped because he came relatively low-cost. I think he could be better utilized in a different position and is capable of being a good player but he definitely have major flaws.

And again, you are picking out just one position. We needed several more players with tool set that fit Giampaolo's style.

Once again, I am criticizing overall strategy. If you wanted to gamble on someone like Giampaolo, then you'd have to have a specific mercato around his needs. If you are just going to take best deals at the time (which I agree, everyone except for Duarte were "best deals" and in that sense they did well), then you need to get a more experienced manager. But instead, we gambled on both issues that it woudl work and failed miserably. Then when it came to salvaging this season we chose Pioli with the reasoning being "he saves money" when we could have avoided this whole mess in the first mess last summer. To me, this is a strike against them no matter what angle it's looked at.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
In the end this is a matter of a chosen perspective, and there's plenty of things in here that don't sit right with me.

First of all, this "we had a couple of easy moves to make" approach re: the summer mercato is ridiculous. Gattuso chose to leave and half (+++) the supporters wanted him out because although he made the team almost qualify for CL he showed simplicity and lack of imagination in his management and therefore belonged elsewhere.

Giampaolo was given a CM(Bennacer), a MF/treq(Krunic) and two SS(Leao, Rebic). I think it's faulty hindsight stuff to claim that Giampaolo wasn't given the tools to succeed when he inherited a squad strengthened from last year(minus Bakayoko). Additionally he repeatedly said that he was happy with the players at his disposal(Suso as treq etc etc). As far as I'm concerned the theory that Giampaolo was really very unhappy with this situation and was hoping for a better player at treq is a conspiracy theory fronted by my friend necro and nothing else.

I'm not claiming redemption, not yet. I'm attempting to nuance the criticism directed at Maldini because from where I'm sitting he's doing plenty good and deserves to be given more time. As a lifelong fan of Maldini I'm a bit irritated at the way some people ridicule him with "Loved him as a player but what a flop director" with few actual arguments to back it up. He's our biggest legend and has a pile of dung to work with, at least support him. I want to see what he can do under LVMH as well.

Bennacer is clearly a talent, but the idea that two midfielders from a team that was relegated is great reenforcement is questionable.

Same thing with the SS position. Rebic was an end of transfer window panic move, who got no time to work with the team in preseason. Leao is also clearly a talent, but is also raw and not a clear example of how to improve your team.

The complaints about GP's Suso comments have never made any sense to me whatsoever... what was he supposed to do? Go to the media and say that management is screwing him by not buying him the players he needs, and that he has no use for Suso whatsoever, or should he talk him up and hope that Suso's market value doesnt decline and he can be moved? To me, that couldnt be more crystal clear which option makes the most sense.

The characteristics of players matter. When we decided on hiring GP, the commitment needed to be made to buy players that fit his scheme. That included a CAM, a SS, and an appropriate midfielder or two. We did not do that.

In hindsight (although it also made sense at the time) the logical course of action would have been to hire a 4-3-3 coach and get him a talented LW.

Hitchens I'll leave you in peace but you're being biased.

2017-2018 we qualified for Europa league.

The following season we missed on ucl by 1 point.

I dont see the overperforming point you're trying to prove.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yeah, we went from 64 points to 68 points. That difference can easily be explained by chance, there isn't much of a real difference over the course of a season.

You never know how players would have reacted a move. Someone like Praet or Veretout could have been much better for us than they have been since their moves. We just don't know.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Vito Angele: Rebic’s future decided; updates on Suso and Piatek; Roma winger, Juventus midfielder eyed

After the victory against Udinese on Sunday afternoon, Milan have returned to focusing on the transfer market once again.

In this regard, the definitive halt to the negotiation for the return of Ante Rebic to Frankfurt is now a formality: the Croatian has been able to wait for his moment and, thanks to yesterday’s brace, he could start in the next games. Rebic will therefore stay with Milan.

Those who remained on the bench without having been used at all were Suso, Krzysztof Piatek and Lucas Paqueta. At the moment there are no official offers that satisfy Milan, but in the next few hours anything can happen, especially on the Suso front where Mino Raiola is working to send an offer in Via Aldo Rossi.

In the last few hours, Valencia have made their interest in the Spaniard known. As for Piatek, however, there is a slight interest from Barcelona, ​​looking for a striker to replace Suarez, as Mundo Deportivo have mentioned.

Still on the exit front, Ricardo Rodriguez’s transfer to Turkey is blocked currently as Fenerbahce are not allowed to sign any players due to Financial Fair Play.

It will be necessary to understand the timing regarding the appeal of the decision, and if too long then Rodriguez will re-establish contacts with the PSV.

The Rossoneri are looking for a winger, but Suso must leave first. The arrival of Cengiz Under from Roma is complicated as the Giallorossi want to keep him, even if the Turk is pushing to leave. The priority is to sell Suso.

If there is an opportunity, Milan will also sign a central midfielder. In this regard, as reported exclusively by SempreMilan.com a while ago, the club are always monitoring the situation of Emre Can.

There is no update instead on the Dani Olmo front. Milan follows him and have made enquiries: but do not intend to participate in auctions with big agent commissions.

Told you guys about Emre Can being a potential midfield option.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
It's true.

https://sempremilan.com/gds-theo-he...-skyrocketed-after-good-start-to-milan-career

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport – as cited by Calciomercato.com – Hernandez has seen his market value increase drastically since his €20m arrival from Real Madrid in the summer.

The newspaper claims that Hernandez is worth at least double: a minimum of €40m.

:thumbsup:

Theo is the only sure fire hit from the last mercato who’s value has easily doubled. Bruh’s love to overrate the likes of Bennacer + Leao but I doubt they would fetch a penny more than what we paid for them on today’s market. Also, they are practically invisible on the world stage (ie no big clubs interested) whereas Theo will be difficult to keep hold of.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Where Giampaolo failed was in allowing the team to heavily regress.

Forget any transfers that came in or out. Piatek went from excellent to awful in months. Suso has always been flawed, but he always had enough good moments for about 3/4 years here where he won some games and had dominant stretches. Now he is awful, period. Hakan was useful to Gattuso, not so much now. Kessie was inconsistent but useful. Now he is terrible. The back line had a stretch last season with the least goals conceded in Europe for about two months. Now we are shaky at best. I remember a week last season where in a short span we beat or drew Atalanta, lazio, and Napoli, and we were in the top 4. We will not get close to that this season.

How can most of that be on maldini or Boban? If the team was in 8th place last season, and they failed to sign good players. Yes, their fault. If the team was competitive last season, and maldini sold our best players while failing to replace them, sure, their fault. But when a team retains its core group of players from one season to the next, how can the blame not be on the new manager? What other way is there to look at that?

We need to find a psychologically driven manager. Good ideas and tactics are what separate good from great teams, and they are important, especially in a league like serie a, where discipline is key. But when Milan has continuously tried different managers with the same results, and continuously falls lower than teams less talented than ours(yes we are far too low in the table), self belief and consistency need to be addressed. We have a young team, many players just need someone to believe in them to express their talents. Theo is thriving because maldini took a chance on him after he couldn’t get a look at Madrid. Environment is key. I hope they learn from the example of Zlatan and continue to look for veterans. Someone to settle the team and offer leadership, even if they can’t do it on the field week in week out.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Suarez, Rashford, Kane all out long term. You would think Barca, Man Utd or Tottenham are looking into Piatek.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
So we hired 2 ex-players as SDs with no relevant experience, a midtable manager who’s best finish was 10th and signed two thirds of a relegated team’s midfield and the Brazilian Gustavo Gomez and bruh’s are debating why we’re midtable...shocker...

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So we hired 2 ex-players as SDs with no relevant experience, a midtable manager who’s best finish was 10th and signed two thirds of a relegated team’s midfield and the Brazilian Gustavo Gomez and bruh’s are debating why we’re midtable...shocker...

Well if you put it like that :lol::lol:

and next to the tweet

(Maldini)You can criticise some of his work as a director (mainly Giampaolo) but all of the signings this season (even Rebic now) have turnt out well, best director we've had in years and it's his first year. He's reduced wages, brought in talents and made Milan feel like Milan again!

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Suarez, Rashford, Kane all out long term. You would think Barca, Man Utd or Tottenham are looking into Piatek.

This is looking like a typical Milan mercato where there is an abundance of players to be sold and rumours but nobody ends up leaving until their contracts expire :fp:

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
also how come no one brings up paqueta's name when we talk about the left side in the 442?

jack imo is not good enough to start there, hakan is on and off, rebic and leao are both better suited partnering Ibra

i dont see lucas in a two man mid as of now, but fairly sure hes played as a lm for flamengo and even under rino and done well. especially if we have a rw cutting in and crossing which we do, since hes quite good at running into the box

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Well if you put it like that :lol::lol:

and next to the tweet

Lol feel free to do it for me...promise I won’t sue you for copyright.

Seriously though, only Theo has been a brilliant signing whereas the jury’s still out on Bennacer + Leao (although the potentials there). However, Krunic, Duarte and Rebic (until recently) have been pointless signings. Mind you, that’s hardly surprising coming from the geniuses who thought midtable coaches like GP and Pioli would steer us into the CL :lol:

Having said that, I’ve been impressed with our targets this mercato (Todibo, Olmo, Under) in addition to the Ibra signing. However, if you can’t convince youngsters to join Milan over the likes of Schalke or Wolves then it’s clearly down to the inadequacies of the SDs and the project. E.g. Leo had no problem signing top players like Higuain and top youngsters like Caldara and Bakayoko because he’s a credible figure.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Looks like Allan is having issues with Gattuso. Would also be an ideal partner next to Bennacer, but probably too expensive.

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Suso unhappy with his role at the club, wants out.

Good. Let's go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule