CL Round of 16: AC Milan (2) vs Manchester United (3) - 16/02/10

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
so much unpredictability with this team jesus leo is good at coping with injuries but he sucks on squad rotation. may be if he can improve on later he wont need the former :p

Reaction score
I think with Flamini the reason he was so against it last season was because Milan were looking to make the switch more then just a temporary one - even considered not getting a full back because we could use him there. That probably scared Flamini and sparked that "I'm not a right back, I'm a midfielder" reaction from him.

But in this case it's a very different story. I think Flamini will understand the gravity of the situation and that it's only temporary, and he'll accept the role should Leonardo ask him to take it.

Has anyone considered using Jankulovski? Granted, defensively it could be disastrous, but if we're pressing hard and we can't get through their defense by the second half, he could be extremely usefull offensively. Good crossing, great off the ball movement, and he can even maybe take a shot or two on goal and make the United defenders come out. Ronaldinho is so much more effective when he's got an offensive full back to work with. Beats Favalli anyways ..

E

Esoteric

I think with Flamini the reason he was so against it last season was because Milan were looking to make the switch more then just a temporary one - even considered not getting a full back because we could use him there. That probably scared Flamini and sparked that "I'm not a right back, I'm a midfielder" reaction from him.

But in this case it's a very different story. I think Flamini will understand the gravity of the situation and that it's only temporary, and he'll accept the role should Leonardo ask him to take it.

Has anyone considered using Jankulovski? Granted, defensively it could be disastrous, but if we're pressing hard and we can't get through their defense by the second half, he could be extremely usefull offensively. Good crossing, great off the ball movement, and he can even maybe take a shot or two on goal and make the United defenders come out. Ronaldinho is so much more effective when he's got an offensive full back to work with. Beats Favalli anyways ..

If were going to play Seedorf, then playing Janku would be suicide, too much attack.

I really can't blame Leonardo for what he does in this match, whatever he does might seem vulnerable. I still think using Huntelaar/Inzaghi as a starter is one move he should boldly make even if Borrielo is ready, just so we can have more efficiency, but when it comes to how many DM's and who are the fullbacks, can't blame him.

Sandeep_bg14

Beginner
Reaction score
u guys r being real unfair....u know how media is nd they always twist nd turn things to make it sensational...Beckham has always spoken of Milan as highly as he speaks of Man U....he has always said how grateful he is to Milan nd the fans for acceptin him....nd m sure he vl give it all for Milan
As far as his performances on the pitch is concerned I dont think he has been as bad as ppl r makin it to b....First of all 1 needs to understand he is being played out of position...He is no Pato....His strengths are very different to him....He is know for his Crosses nd Free Kicks nd not for his speed nd dribbling...He should start is midfield nd thn his performances should be judged....I guess as of now jus 1 free kick...Pirlo nd ronnie been takin the others
And I believe players like Pirlo and Beckham r made to look gud....wen players aroun them do well...I mean Beckham though not consistently has been providing few awesome crosses which unfortunately havent been put to the back of the net....had they gone in...he would have seen a entirely different player nd m sure none of us would have criticised him....
Even in the last game he sent two gr8 balls to Pato....
But thn i too agree that his game at times has been single dimensional....he should work on it
And as far an starting against Man U in concerned I think he should only start if Coach believes he has a role to play.....Milan's win should be the priority nd not Beckham's appearence...
Milan to win nd Beckham with a trademark freekick to score.....Perfect :)

HeroMaldini

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Pato, Kaka(he'll be back!) Prince, Abate, Ibra, Robbie Keane
Park----Carrick--Fletcher---Nani

Scholes

J.Evans--Rafael

a team consisting of these players doesnt exactly send shivers down my spine.

and if rooney gets injured u are FUCKED

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
The first leg of their Champions League showdown is on Tuesday evening at San Siro, so Ferguson watched the Rossoneri beat Udinese 3-2, their first win since the derby.

“Kaka has left a huge void in the squad and his absence is really felt,” the manager told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“They have been forced to change system from the diamond midfield to a 4-3-3. It worked up until Milan lost the derby, now there are signs of recovery.”

Pato had been out for two months when he made his comeback on Friday and scored a goal, but former Old Trafford hero Beckham was on the bench.

“Milan desperately need Pato. He can make the difference, if he is 100 per cent fit, as shown against Udinese.

“If Pato plays, then Beckham won't. We know everything there is to know about David and he still puts in a great cross.”

Manchester United have never succeeded in knocking Milan out of the Champions League and were soundly defeated here in 2007, before Pato had arrived.

“It will be a totally different story,” assured Sir Alex. “At the time we played on Tuesday after a tiring Sunday when we fought back from 2-0 to beat Everton 4-2.

“Milan had rested many of their stars on Saturday. This time it's the other way round and a good time to be facing Milan.

“United didn't play this weekend, Kaka has gone, they have problems and injuries. My team, on the other hand, is in great shape.”

http://football-italia.net/feb14h.html

He knows us inside out. We will be raped.

punisher

God Bless Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
The first leg of their Champions League showdown is on Tuesday evening at San Siro, so Ferguson watched the Rossoneri beat Udinese 3-2, their first win since the derby.

“Kaka has left a huge void in the squad and his absence is really felt,” the manager told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“They have been forced to change system from the diamond midfield to a 4-3-3. It worked up until Milan lost the derby, now there are signs of recovery.”

Pato had been out for two months when he made his comeback on Friday and scored a goal, but former Old Trafford hero Beckham was on the bench.

“Milan desperately need Pato. He can make the difference, if he is 100 per cent fit, as shown against Udinese.

“If Pato plays, then Beckham won't. We know everything there is to know about David and he still puts in a great cross.”

Manchester United have never succeeded in knocking Milan out of the Champions League and were soundly defeated here in 2007, before Pato had arrived.

“It will be a totally different story,” assured Sir Alex. “At the time we played on Tuesday after a tiring Sunday when we fought back from 2-0 to beat Everton 4-2.

“Milan had rested many of their stars on Saturday. This time it's the other way round and a good time to be facing Milan.

“United didn't play this weekend, Kaka has gone, they have problems and injuries. My team, on the other hand, is in great shape.”

wtf jasper??

are you afraid of them??

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team

even a ****** could have gathered that much info on us. calm down.

also. acording to goal.com, silva is winning the race to be fit for tuesday, aswell as seedorf and antonini. borriello is doubtufl though.

there is a dilemma, if borri can't play, what do we do? do we;

play becks RW and pato CF,
play pato RW and hunt CF
play pato RW and pippo CF cause of his pedigree
or play verdi and adiyiah :D.

i would vote to play the 2nd option, as manutd will sit deep in their box and inzaghui can't do much in this situation. while both of hunt's goals came form udinese sitting deep in thier box at the time.

HeroMaldini

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Pato, Kaka(he'll be back!) Prince, Abate, Ibra, Robbie Keane
wtf jasper??

are you afraid of them??

Park----Carrick--Fletcher---Nani

Scholes

J.Evans--Rafael

a team consisting of these players doesnt exactly send shivers down my spine.

and if rooney gets injured u are FUCKED

incase u missed my earlier post jasper...

im flying over for the match on tuesday, cant wait :D

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
there is a dilemma, if borri can't play, what do we do? do we;

play becks RW and pato CF,
play pato RW and hunt CF
play pato RW and pippo CF cause of his pedigree
or play verdi and adiyiah :D.

i would vote to play the 2nd option, as manutd will sit deep in their box and inzaghui can't do much in this situation. while both of hunt's goals came form udinese sitting deep in thier box at the time.

I would go with Pato and Pippo if Borriello is out. UCL is Pippo's competition, and I would trust him much more than Hunt. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo agrees with you though.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Park does not scare you on the offensive end but his work rate and ability to cover for the FBs will make it more tough for Pato or Ronaldinho.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Were going to show them again ,that there just a poor imitation of devils :devilfir:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Djokovic, Diego Armando Maradona
I remember we beat them in 2005 and later when we should play against them in 2007 Ferguson said: "This will be a totally different game, we are far better now then in 2005", -we beat them again, and now I read it that he is saying that this will be a different game then in 2007. I hope that we beat them again cause I wouldn't like to see him get wrong :)

deepa_316

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Papa Slivio
the thing that scares me is their pace and workrate which will stop us from playing our game, if they run like they on drugs then cant see us gettin a hold of the ball without us gettin fouled or man marked out the game. also they will beat us to evry 2nd ball.
and rooney

sorry for not bein too optimistic but its gonna be tough imo i see conors point bout the players hes listed, yup they not thee most technically gifted like say roni or rooney but like i says above they're players who r fast with great workrate an can stop us from playin spesh our main threats/creative players, also they do the basics right.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
So Pippo playin like shit since long time while Hunt who played good during the last game is still not enough 4 some ppl 2 give a fair chance.
This shit attitude is in Milan's DNA , fans + club.

Hunt + Flams deserve 2 start over Pippo + Gatu.

---------------------------Abi

Abate---------------Nesta-------TS/Bonera-------------Anto/Janku

-----------------Ambro-----Flams----Pirlo

Pato--------------------------Hunt/Bori-----------------Dinho/Seedorf

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Ferguson should just mention "If they play Pezzo di Merda Dida, they are already prepared to lose the game. However, if Abbiatti starts, they probably want to win the game."

All the talk about Pato and Beckham are really redundant.

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
So Pippo playin like shit since long time while Hunt who played good during the last game is still not enough 4 some ppl 2 give a fair chance.

Pippo has an incredible CL record and huge experience, which in my opinion would give him the edge over Hunt in a game of this importance.
It's not really fair to say Pippo has been playing badly when he's been given so little time to do anything. You can't expect him to come on in the 80th minute and always turn the game around, it isn't fair. Until Udinese, what had Hunt done? A brace against Catania, and that's about it. It's not like he's in amazing form.
I think Leo would agree with you though, and I wouldn't be horrified to see Hunt start, but personally I would pick Pippo instead.

naive_harry

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato, Abate, Nocerino and in that order

I think its hunt + gattuso in first half, flamini in second half...

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2010/02/14/1790382/manchester-united-manager-sir-alex-ferguson-good-time-to-play-ac-

Manchester United Manager Sir Alex Ferguson: Good Time To Play AC Milan
Scot vows there will be no 3-0 San Siro repeat...

By Michael Landon
Feb 14, 2010 11:59:00 AM
Photo Gallery Zoom
Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United. (Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport)
Related Links
Teams
Man Utd.
Milan
Sir Alex Ferguson believes AC Milan are a different side since the departure of Kaka, and is in confident mood Manchester United can overcome the Italian giants in the Champions League.

The last meeting between the sides finished 3-0 in favour of the Rossoneri, with a Kaka inspired performance in the San Siro knocking the Red Devils out of the 2007 Champions League semi-final.

Kaka joined Real Madrid last summer, alongside former United forward Cristiano Ronaldo, and Ferguson is happy his side won't face the Brazilian maestro.

"It's a good time for us to be going to Milan," said Ferguson
"They played this weekend [beating Udinese 3-2 on Friday night], they've lost Kaka and have a few injuries, whereas we aren't playing this weekend and we have had a good rest."

Ferguson believes the loss of the Brazilian playmaker has forced Milan to change their tactical set-up, and is something his Red Devils are prepared for this time.

He added: "They have changed since they lost Kaka. They used Kaka at the head of a diamond and two front players, but they have changed that and gone 4-3-3 with two wide players and three centre-midfield players.

"You have to recognise they are not short of skill and experience. Ronaldinho, Pato all these players, but equally we have players who can win the match too.

"After the experience in the San Siro three years ago, where they dominated the game, I know that won't happen again."

Sir Alex will surprise when the clash begins !!!

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra

yeah, how can he so easily say that theres no way milan cant do what we did last time we played united? that man needs a slap, just hope we do play well, better not be another inter repeat performance against a good side, we can madrid their asses, pato to do the damage again with dinhos help.

E

Esoteric

Remember our defense was more stable back then. Just hoping Sylva will be there. HOPE! I know our midfield and forwards will outdo them just worried about defense and everyone can clearly see that's our weak spot. Hopefully Nani gets a red card early on to help our cause a little.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Let's be real here...we should get raped. We don't do shit to replenish our squad....still depending on the class of 2003 :proud: (Pato and Silva aside of course) But with Ronaldinho, we have a chance....there's always a chance...and if we beat a FAR superior Manure* side it will be sweeeeet :cool:

*i.e more complete

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ancelotti, who engineered three wins over Fergie during his time in charge of Milan, certainly has fond memories of his first meeting with the United boss.

He said: "He was always very kind. The first time he offered me a glass of wine after the match.

Advertisement

"It's good to maintain a good relationship with the other coaches. We are not used to doing this in Italy - we are more nervous after matches in Italy."

http://casino.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2718689/Fergie-is-soft-at-heart.html

Well whatever happened that was pretty classy. Hope leo does something similar:beer:

So whats with everyone excluding valencia from the formation? Is he injured or did he turn out crap? Didnt watch many manu games but from what ive seen hes pretty fast and would cause problems to abate.

Anyways I hope leo does the obvious and fields abbiati over dida. Flams as LB is also a decent idea since we need someone fast there and bonera aint that speddy but is probably way better @ tackling than flams. Just dont field favalli:o...........at least as FB anyways. Put him as CF for all i care just NOOOOOT FB:head:. Sanchez totally annihilated him and nani will also.......even if he aint no where near as good as sanchez:cool:

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
Let's be real here...we should get raped. We don't do shit to replenish our squad....still depending on the class of 2003 :proud: (Pato and Silva aside of course) But with Ronaldinho, we have a chance....there's always a chance...and if we beat a FAR superior Manure* side it will be sweeeeet :cool:

*i.e more complete

to be fair they couldnt be that much better, they have rooney and vidic as amazing players and then a couple of good players like valencia and sometimes nani. the rest arnt anything special, rio has been dipping in form for them and berba doesnt even play much for them anymore (i dont think)

but us, we have nesta, silva,dinho, pato who are amazing players, pirlo on his day aswell plus good players like borri, ambro and sometimes flams if he plays as well as hunt. to be fair our starting 11 is probably better than theres id think, plus we do have a decent bench most games with hunt, pippo, flams and players like zambro or bonera who isnt bad.

E

Esoteric

Well whatever happened that was pretty classy. Hope leo does something similar:beer:

So whats with everyone excluding valencia from the formation? Is he injured or did he turn out crap? Didnt watch many manu games but from what ive seen hes pretty fast and would cause problems to abate.

Anyways I hope leo does the obvious and fields abbiati over dida. Flams as LB is also a decent idea since we need someone fast there and bonera aint that speddy but is probably way better @ tackling than flams. Just dont field favalli:o...........at least as FB anyways. Put him as CF for all i care just NOOOOOT FB:head:. Sanchez totally annihilated him and nani will also.......even if he aint no where near as good as sanchez:cool:

Because Nani has been picked over Valencia recently. They can play both together but Ferguson wants to use Park most probably to help in defense and discipline.

Schedule