Mattia De Sciglio Thread

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
Really don't understand your hatred towards DES...it's totally irrational.

Firstly the goal, it's wasn't just Romagnoli's fault but also Montolivo's. Montolivo lost his man and allowed Guarin a free sprint towards our box where he turned Romagnoli. Unfortunately DES was only cm's away from succeeding with his last ditch tackle.

If you check whole action from begin (http://videa.hu/videok/sport/int2-gafns8TMxCatS6wc?start=758.59) you will see that monto was focusing on 2 players behind guarin with ball. Thats why its not his fault as guarin was left with #13 and des. DES was on left side and cover position but there was nobody, #13 lost his attacker (zapata and abate moved to CBs positions) but didnt move fast enough to block him (tbh dunno what he was trying to do).

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I mention Calabria because I prefer anything to De Sciglio. He's not just physically weak but psychologically also.

How long do you guys want to give the kid a chance? It's been 4 years where he's been given a starting berth without needing to compete with anyone.

When is he going to repay the faith back? While we are waiting for that to happen, he is dropping points for us, very valuable points that could be decisive in the long run.

Yes, I did tell you he did well against Inter for most of the game but as a defender all it takes is one mistake for you to ruin your performance and the game. The legends of the game always made mistakes, but none of them have ever made mistakes as frequent as De Sciglio. Each game he plays there has to be one blunder and that's not good enough... even if he plays well most of the game. He needs to stop making these mistakes. 1 mistake each game is already too much. You need to understand the difference between making a mistake as a defender, and as any other outfield player. Defenders cannot be allowed to make mistakes at all, let alone when you've been doing so on a consistent basis for 2 consecutive seasons.

He was just as bad for Italy by the way. I didn't think he had a good game for Italy. He was pretty solid through out BUT he still made those stupid mistakes that he cannot seem to stop making.

When he starts having consistent performance with no stupid mistakes, then I'll get off his back. When the kid plays well I'll be the first to compliment me (as I did versus Perugia) but having one good game (vs a Serie B team) a season is not good enough.

Just like how I spotted the trend early with Gilardino, Pato and Shaarawy, I've seen it in De Sciglio. They all have something in common and it is that they are bitches psychologically speaking. There is no room for players like that at great teams, they will always flush away. In a few years from now, you'll be remembering this post when De Sciglio is long gone.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If you check whole action from begin (http://videa.hu/videok/sport/int2-gafns8TMxCatS6wc?start=758.59) you will see that monto was focusing on 2 players behind guarin with ball. Thats why its not his fault as guarin was left with #13 and des. DES was on left side and cover position but there was nobody, #13 lost his attacker (zapata and abate moved to CBs positions) but didnt move fast enough to block him (tbh dunno what he was trying to do).

Is it taboo to mention #13 by name?

:eek::eek: Alessio Romagnoli :eek::eek:

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
I mention Calabria because I prefer anything to De Sciglio. He's not just physically weak but psychologically also.

How long do you guys want to give the kid a chance? It's been 4 years where he's been given a starting berth without needing to compete with anyone.

When is he going to repay the faith back? While we are waiting for that to happen, he is dropping points for us, very valuable points that could be decisive in the long run.

Yes, I did tell you he did well against Inter for most of the game but as a defender all it takes is one mistake for you to ruin your performance and the game. The legends of the game always made mistakes, but none of them have ever made mistakes as frequent as De Sciglio. Each game he plays there has to be one blunder and that's not good enough... even if he plays well most of the game. He needs to stop making these mistakes. 1 mistake each game is already too much. You need to understand the difference between making a mistake as a defender, and as any other outfield player. Defenders cannot be allowed to make mistakes at all, let alone when you've been doing so on a consistent basis for 2 consecutive seasons.

He was just as bad for Italy by the way. I didn't think he had a good game for Italy. He was pretty solid through out BUT he still made those stupid mistakes that he cannot seem to stop making.

When he starts having consistent performance with no stupid mistakes, then I'll get off his back. When the kid plays well I'll be the first to compliment me (as I did versus Perugia) but having one good game (vs a Serie B team) a season is not good enough.

Just like how I spotted the trend early with Gilardino, Pato and Shaarawy, I've seen it in De Sciglio. They all have something in common and it is that they are bitches psychologically speaking. There is no room for players like that at great teams, they will always flush away. In a few years from now, you'll be remembering this post when De Sciglio is long gone.

Really doubt this will happen unless DeS fucks it up big time. You are right- he has a lot of talent but also commits a lot of errors. Add that to his injury woes and he's been quite bad the last couple of years. It however doesn't change the fact that improvement for DeS is getting rid of errors & imoroving on basic things like the offside trap (which can be done with good coaching and a continuous run of games). Compare that to Abate who's average at best and will never get better than he is. Abate has stuck around for what 7 years now?

I think you're not supporting a young player who has talent because you for some reason believe doesnt have a champion mentality.
I really thought DeS had a really good game (barring the offside traps). The goal was absolutely not his fault.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Really doubt this will happen unless DeS fucks it up big time. You are right- he has a lot of talent but also commits a lot of errors. Add that to his injury woes and he's been quite bad the last couple of years. It however doesn't change the fact that improvement for DeS is getting rid of errors & imoroving on basic things like the offside trap (which can be done with good coaching and a continuous run of games). Compare that to Abate who's average at best and will never get better than he is. Abate has stuck around for what 7 years now?

I think you're not supporting a young player who has talent because you for some reason believe doesnt have a champion mentality.
I really thought DeS had a really good game (barring the offside traps). The goal was absolutely not his fault.

I never compared him to Abate.... Ignazio is even worse... but at least his speed and body balance make a big difference and he's successfully shut out many big players in the past.

Back to De Sciglio's performance in the derby... well those offside traps were two mistakes that gave the opponents clear 1on1 chances - both of which could've ended up as goals. Had those two went in you would be having a total different reaction to his performance... The goal wasn't entirely his fault, I'm not blaming there as much as I blame him for the offside traps - and the opponent who he space and time to jump in the edge of the 6 yard box. had that went in also, you would be asking for his head off... it was his luck that Inter didn't take their two chances and the referee stopped one for offside (probably incorrectly too).

the mistake happened, whether it ended up as a goal or not shouldn't matter. how can you have a good game when you make 3 major mistakes (even when you exclude the goal we conceded) like those? in the same game? he can pass and run up all the flank all he wants, but whether you like it or not, these mistakes can be very decisive and can affect the whole team's morale - especially if we concede.

i do want him to succeed, i would love it, but he isn't. face reality folks. pay attention to his every move in the game and you'll see he isn't no where near as good as you think he is. it's all fkn hype. hype for no fkn reason. i can't care less about mattia i have nothing against the bitch i just want milan to win and i don't see him making our chances of success any better by starting this season.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I've been very open in my criticism of De Sciglio in the past, but the bashing here is getting ridiculous.

A dose of reality doesn't hurt, it was DeS that was called in the National team and not Calabria. Heck Calabria doesn't even play in the U21. This is even more ridiculous than people claiming that Cristante needed to be a starter :fp:

Now claiming that DeS is shit where there are plenty of other italian fullbacks that don't get even close to the NT is just stupid.

Oh, and despite the fact that he could have done a better movement during the goal of Guarin, the biggest fault lies with Romagnoli.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
He made 2 mistakes. The offside trap fail and the one where guarin outjumped him (or he didn't even try to jump for what ever reason it was). Both were not goals.. It is just mistakes he made that he will learn from in the future. Everything else about his game other than being caught out position few times were good.
You my friend are just focusing on the negative aspect of his game, which was overshadowed by the positive things he contributed to the game.

DES is still only 22 years old and so far he had a good start to the season.. In no way should he be benched!!!

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy

Want a sig bet? How many years do you think "In a few years"?

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Want a sig bet? How many years do you think "In a few years"?

i'm not into that sig bet stuff.

i'd love to be proven wrong though. and when and if de sciglio does leave, you can guarantee that i won't be reminding anyone cause i'm not the one who's going to dig up posts from the past.

all in all, good luck to de sciglio, but i'm going to rate his performance as I see it... and by the way, I wasn't the only one who didn't rate him.. even Gazzetta gave him a 5.5. Only Honda was lower with a 5. I'm not saying Gazzetta's ratings should be treated as a bible but you're mistaken if you think I'm the only one who thinks he's doing bad consistently.

I implore you to watch his every touch next game, every movement off the ball too - particularly when we're defending. If you pay attention to the details, I won't need to convince you any further [if you do understand how to play football - technically & tactically].

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

i'd love to be proven wrong though. and when and if de sciglio does leave, you can guarantee that i won't be reminding anyone cause i'm not the one who's going to dig up posts from the past.

all in all, good luck to de sciglio, but i'm going to rate his performance as I see it... and by the way, I wasn't the only one who didn't rate him.. even Gazzetta gave him a 5.5. Only Honda was lower with a 5. I'm not saying Gazzetta's ratings should be treated as a bible but you're mistaken if you think I'm the only one who thinks he's doing bad consistently.

I implore you to watch his every touch next game, every movement off the ball too - particularly when we're defending. If you pay attention to the details, I won't need to convince you any further [if you do understand how to play football - technically & tactically].

And plenty of newspapers gave him better ratings than GDS. Btw GDS' highest rating for an Inter player was 7 (Guarin/Melo/Handanovic). In general, he's had good ratings from most papers all season for both Milan & NT. In fact there have been a few articles talking about his return to form.

Btw watching every touch is absolutely ridiculous. Messi had plenty of misplaced passes/wide shots against Roma yesterday. Does that make him fodder? No because it's totally different for a defender right?! If you watch any top player in any league you're bound to notice a couple mistakes per game. Nobody's perfect least not a 22yo kid playing in a shit team.

Anyway, something's wrong in the air at Milanello. There has to be a reason why virtually every player (Matri/Niang/Gabriel/Saponara) takes a massive leap in quality when they leave.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Btw watching every touch is absolutely ridiculous. Messi had plenty of misplaced passes/wide shots against Roma yesterday. Does that make him fodder? No because it's totally different for a defender right?! If you watch any top player in any league you're bound to notice a couple mistakes per game. Nobody's perfect least not a 22yo kid playing in a shit team.

Anyway, something's wrong in the air at Milanello. There has to be a reason why virtually every player (Matri/Niang/Gabriel/Saponara) takes a massive leap in quality when they leave.

When I rate a player's performance in a game, I always talk about their every touch, their every movement. I rate Messi as the greatest player ever because I rate him with every touch and movement. Of course he makes mistakes, a lot of them, but when you compare him to other players you'll see that his mistakes are often fewer and he's a genius at the game.

De Sciglio's case is a bit different because he's been here for 4 years doing the same thing. The first season I wasn't harsh at all, in fact after every mistake I continued to support him saying he's going to mature and grow.. he did it the following year, and then the following year again. This year is just 1 year too many for many if he flops again. I am all about being patient with you and developing them - if they have what it takes. For me, De Sciglio over 3 years has proven to me that he hasn't got what it takes - not just from the past game.

And yes, every time I rate De Sciglio's performance it is because I watch his every move. It wouldn't be fair to be as harsh and critical as I am about him if I didn't rate him fairly.

Bonera was a far worse player here but I didn't talk about him because it was clear as day that he was destroying Milan with almost every performance... I didn't talk because everyone saw it. With De Sciglio it's different... people are biased because he's our youth player and we've built our hopes on him -- exactly like the cases with Gila, Pato and SES. Unfortunately for many people they are unable to look at our players and rate them without the bias they have because they're our little treasures. De Sciglio consistently brings average performance and people just shockingly turn a blind eye to it - every time.

Seeing as we're not going to go any further with this conversation, how about you - for a change - watch De Sciglio's every move against Palermo and then we can come here after the game and rate him? You have to be fair though, you have to rate his overall performance over the 90 minutes. If he plays well for 80 minutes but makes one blunder - it counts as a fuck up and it can't be excused. His blunders do not have to end up as goals for him to be guilty of making a mistake.

I invite everyone else who disagrees with me with De Sciglio to rate his performance too, but like I said - you watch his every move including off-the-ball movements.

Then let's come back and discuss cool? :cool:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
When I rate a player's performance in a game, I always talk about their every touch, their every movement. I rate Messi as the greatest player ever because I rate him with every touch and movement. Of course he makes mistakes, a lot of them, but when you compare him to other players you'll see that his mistakes are often fewer and he's a genius at the game.

De Sciglio's case is a bit different because he's been here for 4 years doing the same thing. The first season I wasn't harsh at all, in fact after every mistake I continued to support him saying he's going to mature and grow.. he did it the following year, and then the following year again. This year is just 1 year too many for many if he flops again. I am all about being patient with you and developing them - if they have what it takes. For me, De Sciglio over 3 years has proven to me that he hasn't got what it takes - not just from the past game.

And yes, every time I rate De Sciglio's performance it is because I watch his every move. It wouldn't be fair to be as harsh and critical as I am about him if I didn't rate him fairly.

Bonera was a far worse player here but I didn't talk about him because it was clear as day that he was destroying Milan with almost every performance... I didn't talk because everyone saw it. With De Sciglio it's different... people are biased because he's our youth player and we've built our hopes on him -- exactly like the cases with Gila, Pato and SES. Unfortunately for many people they are unable to look at our players and rate them without the bias they have because they're our little treasures. De Sciglio consistently brings average performance and people just shockingly turn a blind eye to it - every time.

Seeing as we're not going to go any further with this conversation, how about you - for a change - watch De Sciglio's every move against Palermo and then we can come here after the game and rate him? You have to be fair though, you have to rate his overall performance over the 90 minutes. If he plays well for 80 minutes but makes one blunder - it counts as a fuck up and it can't be excused. His blunders do not have to end up as goals for him to be guilty of making a mistake.

I invite everyone else who disagrees with me with De Sciglio to rate his performance too, but like I said - you watch his every move including off-the-ball movements.

Then let's come back and discuss cool? :cool:

Lo no haven't got time to watch every touch/movement of every player. Instead I'll continue to follow the ball as always. I suggest you also watch every touch of your favourite Milan player. I'm sure you'll quickly realise they're far worse than DES.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
For me 3 jobs for FB:
- defense liability
- moving ball from defense to opposite half of pitch (working under pressure) - dribbling next to line and good passes
- crosses and work in attack
Then think about any of best players in that position... and judge him by that.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lo no haven't got time to watch every touch/movement of every player. Instead I'll continue to follow the ball as always. I suggest you also watch every touch of your favourite Milan player. I'm sure you'll quickly realise they're far worse than DES.

I never changed my ways to rate players. That's the only I have ever rated players.. whether it's players I watch on TV or players who play beside me in local divisions.

Maybe you need to start doing that. I don't know why you think it would be difficult, it doesn't take any more time. When you watch the game, just look at De Sciglio and see how he moves and what he does.

I haven't even begun to talk about his body language which is even more annoying, but you'll notice that and that tells you a lot about the players character and psyche.

Wait a sec, you keep referring to yourself as the member that watches the most youth football for players and your opinions on our youngsters can be either very harsh or generous I've noticed... you're telling me that you've never rated player's performances based on everything they do per game? So you just rate them based on their highlights in the game or what? That would pretty much disqualify every opinion you've had on every youth player for me. If you don't rate a player this way then your parameters of rating performances and players are just not good enough. They might be good if you want to create a fantasy football team, but definitely not a team that's built for success over the long term.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I never changed my ways to rate players. That's the only I have ever rated players.. whether it's players I watch on TV or players who play beside me in local divisions.

Maybe you need to start doing that. I don't know why you think it would be difficult, it doesn't take any more time. When you watch the game, just look at De Sciglio and see how he moves and what he does.

I haven't even begun to talk about his body language which is even more annoying, but you'll notice that and that tells you a lot about the players character and psyche.

Wait a sec, you keep referring to yourself as the member that watches the most youth football for players and your opinions on our youngsters can be either very harsh or generous I've noticed... you're telling me that you've never rated player's performances based on everything they do per game? So you just rate them based on their highlights in the game or what? That would pretty much disqualify every opinion you've had on every youth player for me. If you don't rate a player this way then your parameters of rating performances and players are just not good enough. They might be good if you want to create a fantasy football team, but definitely not a team that's built for success over the long term.

Think we're talking about two different things. You're telling everyone to watch EVERY on/off the ball movement DES has. That's how you judge him. I'm saying it's impossible to watch every single on/off the ball movement every player has to rate them. You'd need 20 pairs of eyes. Instead I focus on where the ball is (on the ball movement) and if it's near DES obviously I'll focus on him (off the ball movement). However, that's different from watching every single on/off the ball movement. That's how I judge every single player including youth team players.

Anyway, this is a pointless debate. You're not going to change my opinion about DES and vice-versa. Luckily the consensus (majority of Milan fans, coaches Miha/Conte and journalists) share my opinion ;)

PS: Lmao @ your 'body language analysis'.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah look at kaka and balo...they were brilliant after they left us. Shocking :eek:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Yeah look at kaka and balo...they were brilliant after they left us. Shocking :eek:

Yeah I was really talking about the glory days wasn't I? That's why I listed Matri/Niang/Gabriel/Saponara :lol::fp: Obviously I'm saying something's wrong in the atmosphere these days. The days of midtable Milan with shit players/shit coaches. Balotelli's an exception to the rule (headcase) but in general most players are performing way better elsewhere.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Meh, Balotelli was pretty shit even when he left us which is why we sold him at exactly the same price bought and even then it was considered a gamble by Liverpool.

As about Matri/Niang/Gabriel/Saponara, maybe a reason about the massive leap in quality is tied to the fact that they play a lot more frequently elsewhere ;)

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy

Dude GdS rating is shit and everybody knows that. Boli got 6.5 all the time without contributing anything valuable to the team

And I watch Sciglio very closely since his derby debut, you don't have to tell me that. He was one of the best FBs in Serie A in his debut season and one of the best Italian players at Confederation cup later that year. His development was suffered from injuries (esp. after the PSV game) and many coach changes. But I still believe he will be a great FB in the future

and how many minutes did you see Calabria? How many games did the kid play in Serie A? How do you know he's not physically & psychological weak?

P.S: I hope you'll also go into minute details when analyzing your boy Balp

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Meh, Balotelli was pretty shit even when he left us which is why we sold him at exactly the same price bought and even then it was considered a gamble by Liverpool.

As about Matri/Niang/Gabriel/Saponara, maybe a reason about the massive leap in quality is tied to the fact that they play a lot more frequently elsewhere ;)

Nope. Matri played here regularly for half a season but only scored once. Niang had a wonderful return of 0 goals/30 games before we got shot of him :lol:

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
first half for de sciglio..... it was okay overall... except that he lost his man who scored against us on a corner. and also his crosses were pretty awful when he got the chance to cross.

calabria's first cross into the box in his debut was better than de sciglio's crosses for the past 2 seasons... it even resulted in a bacca goal. calabria is exactly showing de sciglio why he should be starting above him, or at least getting equal chances.

let's see how he plays in the 2nd half

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
way too many brainfarts. Calabria on the left, Abate on the right next match

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He's obviously much better on the right. Better than Abate.

But till Antonelli is back, we have no other solution on the left except him.

But on the right, it's between Calabria and him now.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
This is exactly why I say that we need to be careful at overhyping Calabria... Italian coaches are ruthless at exploiting weaknesses. De Sciglio had a crappy game and it was due to two known weaknesses... the fact that he doesn't play the offside well and that he's not that good on headers...

I'm sure that Calabria also has weaknesses... Palermo kept knocking on that side but luckily for us, Calabria held well. The problem is that Miha knows fully well that Calabria has weaknesses and that once one player is able to find them, every single coach will try to exploit them.

I'm hoping that Abate is not serious and that Antonelli is back... De Sciglio has still a lot of work to do before becoming a starting fullback.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
I like him, and despite his mistake today, people are way too harsh on him forgetting he is still pretty young. One thing is he is very consistent in his shooting. Only problem is, his shooting is pretty bad.

Schedule