The Rumour Commode XXI

Who should lead Milan's attack in 17/18 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legio IV GrintaBoyz

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
So it seems like Montella finally figured out how to adapt his Fiorentina hybrid formation for this Milan squad. The key was deciding how to play Suso. Playing him up front in a 352 was a failure since he didn't have enough space and was crowded out from both sides. On the wing he only has to worry about his left, which makes him unstoppable.

The strategy for the hybrid requires one side to have a fullback that can transition to a wide midfielder, and the other side to have a center back transition to a fullback. The great thing is that we have several players that can play those roles, with one exception.

Left side:

CB to LB: Romagnoli, Rodriguez
LB to LM: Rodriguez, Antonelli, Calabria

Right side:

CB to RB: Musacchio, Zapata, Gomez
RB to RM: Conti, Borini, Calabria, Abate

So lets say we want our back three to be Romagnoli, Bonucci and Musacchio. Both Romagnoli and Musacchio can shift to being the fullback in a back four, obviously with Romagnoli much better at this since he's done it a lot before. Bonucci always plays in the middle.

Depending on the players who are at the WB positions, we can shift left or right, attacking whatever weakness presents itself, while the team shifts back into place when we lose the ball.

Example, if we're attacking from the left and we lose the ball with Rodriguez stranded high up, then we shift to a back four with Borini/Conti as the RB. Rodriguez doesn't have to sprint back to cover, and we don't need our midfield to shift either. We cover the spaces because of the inherent flexibility and versatility of the players in the squad.

This was the one unifying feature of the players that we bought this summer. Flexibility.

I think this is also a big reason why we haven't clicked, and why it will take a lot more time before we see a good Milan this season. These players, more than others that are less flexible but better at one thing, need maximize their talents with a system that exploits that flexibility.

Montella finally lost the stubborn insistence to keep a rigid formation during games. This was what made him special at Fiorentina and hopefully is what makes this Milan good again. We got the players we did for this reason. Flexible players that can shift into different positions at any moment.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I wouldn't read so much into one game if I were you. Your tactical analyses are appreciated but until I see several more promising performances, I'm going to err on the side of caution and refrain from feeling hopeful. I don't think last night's performance is indicative of any fundamental change but I do hope I'm wrong, of course.

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
sell andre silva to arsenal in january or next summer, sign back pato.

pls.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong but I wouldn't read so much into one game if I were you. Your tactical analyses are appreciated but until I see several more promising performances, I'm going to err on the side of caution and refrain from feeling hopeful. I don't think last night's performance is indicative of any fundamental change but I do hope I'm wrong, of course.

Sure, but I don’t think I’m basing this on one game. Late last season this is what Montella was doing, albeit with Vangioni and Gomez. It’s what he was doing for a few good seasons with Fiorentina. It was expected that he’d do the same based on this history and the type of players we bought more than just the last game.

Legio IV GrintaBoyz

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Probably fan made, but looks fucking dope!

22709507_1961061470630841_9010288482983084032_n.jpg

Astaghfirullah, the cross triggers me.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
So it seems like Montella finally figured out how to adapt his Fiorentina hybrid formation for this Milan squad. The key was deciding how to play Suso. Playing him up front in a 352 was a failure since he didn't have enough space and was crowded out from both sides. On the wing he only has to worry about his left, which makes him unstoppable.

The strategy for the hybrid requires one side to have a fullback that can transition to a wide midfielder, and the other side to have a center back transition to a fullback. The great thing is that we have several players that can play those roles, with one exception.

Left side:

CB to LB: Romagnoli, Rodriguez
LB to LM: Rodriguez, Antonelli, Calabria

Right side:

CB to RB: Musacchio, Zapata, Gomez
RB to RM: Conti, Borini, Calabria, Abate

So lets say we want our back three to be Romagnoli, Bonucci and Musacchio. Both Romagnoli and Musacchio can shift to being the fullback in a back four, obviously with Romagnoli much better at this since he's done it a lot before. Bonucci always plays in the middle.

Depending on the players who are at the WB positions, we can shift left or right, attacking whatever weakness presents itself, while the team shifts back into place when we lose the ball.

Example, if we're attacking from the left and we lose the ball with Rodriguez stranded high up, then we shift to a back four with Borini/Conti as the RB. Rodriguez doesn't have to sprint back to cover, and we don't need our midfield to shift either. We cover the spaces because of the inherent flexibility and versatility of the players in the squad.

This was the one unifying feature of the players that we bought this summer. Flexibility.

I think this is also a big reason why we haven't clicked, and why it will take a lot more time before we see a good Milan this season. These players, more than others that are less flexible but better at one thing, need maximize their talents with a system that exploits that flexibility.

Montella finally lost the stubborn insistence to keep a rigid formation during games. This was what made him special at Fiorentina and hopefully is what makes this Milan good again. We got the players we did for this reason. Flexible players that can shift into different positions at any moment.

Yes I agree with a lot of this.. Equally important to me is the way Hakan has improved tactically and Kalinic getting back to match-fitness/form.

For Suso to be free and to move into positions from where he's deadly, it's critical for these two to know how to move. Hakan struggled in the initial Serie A matches that he played, then he did pretty well in one match (can't recall which one), then he got a red card.. But yesterday was tactically his best outing yet. He seems to have figured out the right mix of pressing, moving away wide and forward movements needed with the ball, for his role to succeed.

Kalinic was not at his best in the last couple of outings but yesterday was a welcome return. This role comes naturally to him and unless he does it on a week-in week-out basis, we'll struggle to get the space needed in attack.

Lack of Bonucci and Biglia can be covered by other players. But Kalinic is the only one in the squad who can play the CF role well the way Montella wants it to be played. Hopefully he'll remain fit throughout.

Last edited:

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
According to research conducted by Nielsen Sport, AC Milan has 47 million fans outside Italy, Juventus has 23 million, Inter has 14 million.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Adidas' strategy is to manufacture kits for the worlds top clubs and they've been successful (RM/Bayern/Juve/Man Utd/Chelsea). The fact they dropped us after 20 years implies they don't believe we're a top club anymore nor in our project.

Of course they do! They're not giving us 20m a year for nothing. They're a business and expect to make a profit through kit sales. That's why they align themselves with top clubs as regular CL/trophies means increased exposure meaning more fans which equals more sales.

The only reason they sponsored us during our dark times is because we signed a 10 year extension in 2013. We qualified for CL that year which meant increased brand exposure. However, they exercised their exit clause at the first opportunity when we sold the club since we've been out of CL for years and they don't believe we'll be back anytime soon.

The reports haven't said how much Puma are paying us. Paying us 22m would still mean giving us more money but getting less than Juve. If they pay us more than Juve do you really think they'd accept that? They've won 6 scudetto and reached 2 CL finals whereas we've finished midtable so obviously they'd re-negotiate. The fact Adidas have dropped us would strengthen their case.

In theory yes although there's no guarantees of a cash influx. That's why Fassone's said we'd need to sell top players and have a small mercato.

We'll leave the adidas convo alone because it's not getting anywhere. However I still believe that the only thing that matters to both parties, Milan and Adidas is money. Nothing else.
It's more likely that they want to cancel the deal because we don't sell enough jerseys, than our actual performances. (Donnaruma sold the most jerseys last season?)

Juve's shirt deal and ours have nothing to do with one another. If we get more then them from Puma, they can't just go to Adidas and say "hey look MIlan is making more, give me more money" they're under a contract.

As for selling players, I think it's normal that maybe we'll have to sell a player on a profit because of all of the money we're missing out from CL. At the end of the day these new chinese owners are not like the good old italians that just kept throwing money into the team every year, and the team would be losing 100mil every year. (Example, Moratti)

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Suso doesn’t fear he’ll be sold if Milan need to meet Financial Fair Play - “if they wanted to sell me, they’d have told me before I signed my renewal”.

????

Sorriso Sempre

Milan Legend
Reaction score
According to research conducted by Nielsen Sport, AC Milan has 47 million fans outside Italy, Juventus has 23 million, Inter has 14 million.

but but but adidas should give more money to juventus than us regardless!

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Suso doesn’t fear he’ll be sold if Milan need to meet Financial Fair Play - “if they wanted to sell me, they’d have told me before I signed my renewal”.

????

That release clause will haunt us.

I think he's going to be worth a lot more than whatever they agreed to and we won't have a choice but to sell him to a Real or Barcelona, which he won't say no to.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Depends how far off we are of 4th by January if they want to add to the team buy purchases or loans, but we would need a winger, wingback and midfielder.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Commode and Andre Silva. Made for each other.
"Hey look at me I'm so much better than you plebs"
:rolleyes:

Like you and borini
No bro you got it all wrong. Fodder/Average/shit (sh)Italian players aren't actually fodder and if you call them such you're an Italian hater and should be shunned :cool:

Also Bonucci >>> Air and you're a tactical n00b &should be beheaded for blasphemy if you disagree.
It's inconceivable that ppl actually don't rate/like Matri, Montolivo, Borini etc.
sell andre silva to arsenal in january or next summer, sign back pato.

pls.
:eek:
#Wouldn'tMind :o

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Anti Italian bias has no place at rnb

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Good players are good players regardless of nationality and should be preferred to less good players regardless of nationality. Couldn't care less whether he's Trini or Tahiti
"Muh Italian identity" isn't going to win you any trophies if they don't have the best players.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Borini still has got haters? smh

guy gives it his all in each game, performs very well out of position, brings good positive attitude, celebrates every goal with his teammates, was the best player in the derby alongside suso

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Borini still has got haters? smh

guy gives it his all in each game, performs very well out of position, brings good positive attitude, celebrates every goal with his teammates, was the best player in the derby alongside suso

Borini is better at rwb than at his "position".

He's useless without the space suso creates for him.

I'm happy for him and glad that he's able to do well for the team but it is natural for anyone to want better players than Borini on the team.

The guys you criticize aren't shitting on Borini at all.

It's just that a lot of us here want to see more of Andre Silva...which necro thinks is a stupid idea and necro competes with you in his love for Borini.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Borini is better at rwb than at his "position".

He's useless without the space suso creates for him.

I'm happy for him and glad that he's able to do well for the team but it is natural for anyone to want better players than Borini on the team.

The guys you criticize aren't shitting on Borini at all.

It's just that a lot of us here want to see more of Andre Silva...which necro thinks is a stupid idea and necro competes with you in his love for Borini.

These guys know who they are, I don't have to address them everytime.

And I love ALL ac milan players.

Batman

Team Doctor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, T. Silva, Romagnoli, Maldini
Have you seen the AC Milan badge?

i swear some ppl dont think before they say things.

this is like saying "arabic words trigger me."

I'm pretty sure that was just a joke

Batman

Team Doctor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, T. Silva, Romagnoli, Maldini
These guys know who they are, I don't have to address them everytime.

And I love ALL ac milan players.

:star:

Forza Borini and Forza Milan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule