The Rumour Commode XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
It’s a fair point that we are spending money but we also lost Higuain remember. Really hoping we can get a good LW in before end of the window but starting to think we will need to wait until summer

Losing Higuain is a benefit in my book. We got rid of a player who didn't want to be here, was a demotivator on-field, AND cost us 9.5 million a year. Doing that and getting the league top-scorer to replace him was in itself an 8/10 mercato.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
Losing Higuain is a benefit in my book. We got rid of a player who didn't want to be here, was a demotivator on-field, AND cost us 9.5 million a year. Doing that and getting the league top-scorer to replace him was in itself an 8/10 mercato.

:thumbsup:

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We have not seen concrete links to any players since signing Piatek other than Duelofeu, who Watford refuses to sell. I am guessing at this point we will not see further purchases.

Leonardo deserve some criticism over the signings of Laxalt and Samu, but he was in a position where he essentially had to get every transfer 100% right... I still think he did very well to acquire Caldara, Paqueta already looks better than most of the players we've seen in Milan's shirt for the last decade, and Piatek is as good a replacement as we could have hoped for and will save us 15.4M/year in wages...

Unfortunately, with the shit squad Mirabelli, Fassone, and Galliani left behind, Leonardo had to be virtually perfect with the odds stacked against him in order for Milan to finish in the top 4... At this point, we are going to need some luck to get into the top 4, maybe this is the year when things break our way again.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I criticize Castillejo a lot, but I'm being too hasty to be honest. Any new player, particularly one new to the league, needs a season at least to be judged fairly. I'm sure Rino thinks that way also, going by his usual attitude towards players.

So even Castillejo and Laxalt need another half season. They probably won't succeed, but they deserve that chance.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
laxalt and moreso samu were praised at the time of signing by many, especially considering how fast the deals happened and the evident need for the positions they fill. No one thought they'd perform this poorly though.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I criticize Castillejo a lot, but I'm being too hasty to be honest. Any new player, particularly one new to the league, needs a season at least to be judged fairly. I'm sure Rino thinks that way also, going by his usual attitude towards players.

So even Castillejo and Laxalt need another half season. They probably won't succeed, but they deserve that chance.

Samu is a case where it's pretty obvious that he is not going to succeed in Italy because he is too weak and slow to get past Italian defenses. Slow AND weak is a tough thing to overcome in a league that places a high priority on defending. Laxalt is just not what anyone would consider "Milan quality" even in 2019.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Samu is a case where it's pretty obvious that he is not going to succeed in Italy because he is too weak and slow to get past Italian defenses. Slow AND weak is a tough thing to overcome in a league that places a high priority on defending. Laxalt is just not what anyone would consider "Milan quality" even in 2019.

Logically, I agree.. but sometimes logic doesn't work in football. Great case in point is Bakayoko. The man looked completely clueless tactically in the beginning.. and suddenly he's our best player. Sometimes, all it takes is something to click in the player's mind.

In Castillejo's case, his biggest weakness that I see is the way he reacts in the penalty box. He arches himself, looks down at the ball and doesn't see options available around him. Maybe, if he just receives that extra bit of confidence, he might stop doing that and look up and utilize his ability on the ball to pick out the right passes. You never know.

Laxalt is an unlikelier case, but who knows..

laxalt and moreso samu were praised at the time of signing by many, especially considering how fast the deals happened and the evident need for the positions they fill. No one thought they'd perform this poorly though.

Yes, Laxalt particularly because he had done very well for Genoa. The hindsight is really pointless. The Bergwijns, Groenevalds etc. have as much chance to fail as Castillejo and Laxalt.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We’re almost in the L zone

20110523221836.jpg
Loser zone?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
samu is slow? news to me

he's definitely weak, dude hasn't eaten a carb since 2002.

you'd think milan would put him on a new diet and jon jones vitamins.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
why would Kessie have to leave?

Money. He's one of our most valuable assets so I'd rather cash in now before his value drops warming the bench. Also, his 20m obligation fee is due this summer. However, I'd keep him as backup if we've got alternative funds.

rocknrolla1v1

FORZA MILAN
Reaction score
Yes, Laxalt particularly because he had done very well for Genoa. The hindsight is really pointless. The Bergwijns, Groenevalds etc. have as much chance to fail as Castillejo and Laxalt.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Laxalt is a good player, but our formation, shit tactics and his long adaptation period are making him look very shaky even mediocre. If we have Conte I bet Laxalt will be one of the best performers in our team along with Conti...

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Bacca WANTED out. Please get that through your heads.

He wanted out and absolutely no one was willing to pay anything for him, all the offers were loan with option to buy at 10m.

"Well we should have kept Bacca instead of signing Samu"

Say it again, BACCA FUCKING WANTED OUT!!! FFS. Some people use all kinds of nonsense to shit on whoever

Agreed but that doesn't mean we had to buy Samu as part of the deal. We could've just sold Bacca for 7m and saved 7m annually in gross wages instead of wasting 20m on Samu. Same goes for Laxalt. We should've just forced Genoa to pay up for Lapadula or threatened them with legal action. We're a football club not a charity. In hindsight, we could've already paid one third of Piatek's fee had we followed that path.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
I think Samu would work better as a false 9 or a second striker in Serie A. No winger that skinny is gonna do shit with closed up flanks. But the biggest issue I see with Samu is his off ball movement and cowardice. If he works on those two aspects I think he can be a good sub/rotation player for us.

Oedipus

Milan Icon
Reaction score
you don't think deulofeo is worth 20m?

you must not have a very good memory

I don't think we should invest a dime in players that were okay during the Banter era. All these babysteps players made that we got a roster full of herbs we cant get rid of.

milanista_

Milan Icon
Reaction score
If Leo comes out and talk after the game we can pretty sure know that the mercato is closed for this time.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I don't think the mercato is closed, but I don't think we'll buy players worth more than 15-20 million. The approach might basically be to loan a backup till the end of the season and then look for a starter for LW and maybe midfield.

iparrot

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Agreed but that doesn't mean we had to buy Samu as part of the deal. We could've just sold Bacca for 7m and saved 7m annually in gross wages instead of wasting 20m on Samu. Same goes for Laxalt. We should've just forced Genoa to pay up for Lapadula or threatened them with legal action. We're a football club not a charity. In hindsight, we could've already paid one third of Piatek's fee had we followed that path.

Not sure we would have had Piatek after that. He would have been reserved for probably Juve. Sometimes you need to develop this kind of friendship in football. We are no more on the level where we can just demand like before.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Not sure we would have had Piatek after that. He would have been reserved for probably Juve. Sometimes you need to develop this kind of friendship in football. We are no more on the level where we can just demand like before.

Given our history and all the favours we've done them honouring a 13m fee is the least they could do. Also, its not like they were about to go bankrupt. They sold Perin+Izzo for 20m last summer.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Genoa did us any favors with Piatek. Our clubs may have a solid relationship, but they cashed in a 6 month 33M profit. Wisely, I might add, after seeing how clubs like Torino have been burned by waiting and not selling their star players.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Still no winger??

#Foddernardo

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
I don't think Genoa did us any favors with Piatek. Our clubs may have a solid relationship, but they cashed in a 6 month 33M profit. Wisely, I might add, after seeing how clubs like Torino have been burned by waiting and not selling their star players.

fair play to them, but if he outperforms here then they cashed in too early. Could very well be a favor for us.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think the mercato is closed, but I don't think we'll buy players worth more than 15-20 million. The approach might basically be to loan a backup till the end of the season and then look for a starter for LW and maybe midfield.

High quality LW + Barella over summer please.

Rest of the summer needs to be spent purging this turd squad, and then allow Moncada and Leonardo to build depth through scouting and developing players.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
We’re actually not signing anyone wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule