Week 24: Roma - Milan 28/02/2021 20:45 CET

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
Not sure why he's training his back when he should be attending sprint training every day of the week.

As a slow defender himself Bonera may be missing the mark.

If Romagnoli can reinvent his contribution he should be given the benefit of the doubt, but I think Maldini has seen enough. He will target a CB this summer no matter how the contract situation works out.

Yes, and i also believe they just wait until the end of the season to strip him of the captaincy, so he can be benched

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
In my reality Pioli or Maldini shouldnt risk their career for Roma.
Who you think will get more heat if Roma continue to leak goals costing us games, Roma or Pioli ? Thats some real information right there.
Its not like he is an investment that needs to be kept happy before they sell him for a fortune.
And am not talking about banning him or mistreat him.
Just dont consider him as a definite starter.
As it is he should be the 3rd choice CD after Tomo & Kjaer & he will still have many games to play specially in EL.

the question is also: is it pioli asking roma to do zonal defense or is he just so bad at man-marking that it looks like it

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Roma squad:

There is still an injury crisis, ruling out among others Edin Dzeko, Roger Ibanez, Chris Smalling and Davide Santon, with Marash Kumbulla at best ready for the bench.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
I don't think we need to choose between the 2. No when we have zero contribution from Saele, Samu and Hakan at the moment.

I don't see why we can't start Rebic and Leao. I understand neither one of them dreams of playing on the right side...but such are the needs of the team right now. Also, maybe they don't have to play on the right. One can play as a LM/LW and one as a SS near Ibra. Of course, it means changing the formation slightly and moving to something closer to a 442...but really, it's not that different then what we are doing now. Especially as Hakan looks completely out of form and as crazy as it sounds, completely out of shape. The dude looks like he's running in sand. Trips on the ball half the time.

I think what separated us from the rest last summer and in the beginning of this season, was the conditioning. We looked more in shape then the rest. We were sharper on the ball. We were running more. And many games we separated ourselves in the last 15-20 mins because we were in great shape. At this point, this seems to have disappeared. We see players making simple technical mistakes on the ball. We see players being sloppy and 60mins in, look like they are carrying rocks on their back. The #1 thing Pioli and his team need to do is get the team back into shape. It's not easy in the middle of the season and with 7 games in 20 days or so....but it's necessary. Otherwise we'd be in big trouble.

And no....no need for stats saying how much our players have run in comparison to others. You can cover the same distance. Doesn't mean you did it efficiently and it doesn't mean that you were sharp on the ball. You can sprint 60 meters and so will the player next to you.....but how fresh are you at the end of those 60 meters to make the right decision on the ball and execute sharply. Stats will not show this part. And this is the par that to me at least, it's evident of our team lately.

I agree, I would like to see "those 4" start together at some point. But as for tomorrow, I don't think it would be a wise decision. We're playing a top side in Roma and the system would become too lopsided. Saele naturally has to do the defensive work on the right flank.

Eventually, it's an experiment worth trying against defensive teams like Udinese, Parma, etc.. I actually remember Pioli playing those 4 against Juventus last summer, which prompted our 4-2 comeback. Although he put Leao on the right in the 60th minute when we were down 0-2 and took Zlatan off 7 minutes later when the game was 2-2.

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
In my reality Pioli or Maldini shouldnt risk their career for Roma.
Who you think will get more heat if Roma continue to leak goals costing us games, Roma or Pioli ? Thats some real information right there.
Its not like he is an investment that needs to be kept happy before they sell him for a fortune.
And am not talking about banning him or mistreat him.
Just dont consider him as a definite starter.
As it is he should be the 3rd choice CD after Tomo & Kjaer & he will still have many games to play specially in EL.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think Pioli will start him tomorrow and that's why I had him in the formation.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I don't think we need to choose between the 2. No when we have zero contribution from Saele, Samu and Hakan at the moment.

I don't see why we can't start Rebic and Leao. I understand neither one of them dreams of playing on the right side...but such are the needs of the team right now. Also, maybe they don't have to play on the right. One can play as a LM/LW and one as a SS near Ibra. Of course, it means changing the formation slightly and moving to something closer to a 442...but really, it's not that different then what we are doing now. Especially as Hakan looks completely out of form and as crazy as it sounds, completely out of shape. The dude looks like he's running in sand. Trips on the ball half the time.

I think what separated us from the rest last summer and in the beginning of this season, was the conditioning. We looked more in shape then the rest. We were sharper on the ball. We were running more. And many games we separated ourselves in the last 15-20 mins because we were in great shape. At this point, this seems to have disappeared. We see players making simple technical mistakes on the ball. We see players being sloppy and 60mins in, look like they are carrying rocks on their back. The #1 thing Pioli and his team need to do is get the team back into shape. It's not easy in the middle of the season and with 7 games in 20 days or so....but it's necessary. Otherwise we'd be in big trouble.

And no....no need for stats saying how much our players have run in comparison to others. You can cover the same distance. Doesn't mean you did it efficiently and it doesn't mean that you were sharp on the ball. You can sprint 60 meters and so will the player next to you.....but how fresh are you at the end of those 60 meters to make the right decision on the ball and execute sharply. Stats will not show this part. And this is the par that to me at least, it's evident of our team lately.

:thumbsup:

Nonetheless I hope Saele regains form.

rocknrolla1v1

FORZA MILAN
Reaction score
Roma squad:

There is still an injury crisis, ruling out among others Edin Dzeko, Roger Ibanez, Chris Smalling and Davide Santon, with Marash Kumbulla at best ready for the bench.

If we lose this game or get outplayed by a depleted Roma, I will officially ascribe to the belief that we are in complete free-fall

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Probable lineup vs. Roma according to Sky:

Donnarumma; Calabria, Kjaer, Romagnoli, Theo Hernandez; Tonali, Kessi?: Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Rebic; Ibrahimovic.

nefremo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Probable lineup vs. Roma according to Sky:

Donnarumma; Calabria, Kjaer, Romagnoli, Theo Hernandez; Tonali, Kessi?: Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Rebic; Ibrahimovic.

If we hit a brick wall hard enough with our head over and over again....it will eventually fall down, right? Right?

Pioli: "Ok lads...now all together. Hit that brick wall with your heads!"
Everyone Watching: "Mister...you know we can just walk around it, right?"

Last edited:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I still don’t think Pioli needs to go for an overhaul or a big shift in approach. That kind of reactionary thinking has been a problem at this club for years, and honestly the fickle fans on here are annoying and part of the problem. Especially with a young team who the entire season the management has been claiming their goal is top 4. Sometimes you have to play your way back into form. Anyone who’s actually played real sports before knows that.

And before someone comes at me with some dumb shit, I am not saying Pioli would be stupid to make adjustments when necessary. I am not saying that certain players cannot or should not be benched either if their performances are bad, regardless of their status. They are in a rut, everybody knows it and they have to find a way out.

What I am saying is that a super knee jerk reaction to blow up the team and start from scratch, which a lot of you want, is not the right way to go. We have played the youngest line up in Europe multiple times in the past year, this team right now needs consistency and they need to play how they know. With the second half of last season and the first half of this one, Milan put together basically an entire season worth of good performances, enough that if the timeline was a bit different we could be champions. The players you all keep bitching about were on the field, playing well, beating big teams. They don’t have to prove themselves again after a few bad games. Tactics are one thing but execution is another. We have missed chances that for a good 12 months we were scoring. The chances haven’t entirely gone away, just the execution has. Every time a team loses it doesn’t mean the tactical approach was wrong, maybe the players missed shots they should have made or failed to press certain players according to the game plan.

Pioli and the players should relax and cut out the outside noise. Play their game and trust in themselves, play the lineup we saw decimate teams for a year. Mentality, fatigue and simple execution are the issues right now. Not the tactical approach or lineup.

nefremo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
A revolution is not needed. That much I can agree with. But changing a player or two in the line up or slightly tweaking tactics (remove the ACM and replace him with a slightly more advanced SS type player for a few games...not necessarily forever) is NOT an overhaul. You can give other reasons for not wanting that, but it's sure as heck not an overhaul. Also....most people have said in the past how this squad has the ability to change tactically when needed IF needed. We are yet to do that. There is nothing wrong in tweaking a few things. We have looked dull when attacking and exposed when defending. To carry on the same way when no improvements have been seen is not necessarily the right approach.

I agree with your last sentence. This is where we should attempt to restart from. We need to get back in good physical shape. Most of the "simple execution" issues you mentioned are due to this, imo.

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
EvQy0HDXMAEJgbv

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I still don?t think Pioli needs to go for an overhaul or a big shift in approach. That kind of reactionary thinking has been a problem at this club for years, and honestly the fickle fans on here are annoying and part of the problem. Especially with a young team who the entire season the management has been claiming their goal is top 4. Sometimes you have to play your way back into form. Anyone who?s actually played real sports before knows that.

And before someone comes at me with some dumb shit, I am not saying Pioli would be stupid to make adjustments when necessary. I am not saying that certain players cannot or should not be benched either if their performances are bad, regardless of their status. They are in a rut, everybody knows it and they have to find a way out.

What I am saying is that a super knee jerk reaction to blow up the team and start from scratch, which a lot of you want, is not the right way to go. We have played the youngest line up in Europe multiple times in the past year, this team right now needs consistency and they need to play how they know. With the second half of last season and the first half of this one, Milan put together basically an entire season worth of good performances, enough that if the timeline was a bit different we could be champions. The players you all keep bitching about were on the field, playing well, beating big teams. They don?t have to prove themselves again after a few bad games. Tactics are one thing but execution is another. We have missed chances that for a good 12 months we were scoring. The chances haven?t entirely gone away, just the execution has. Every time a team loses it doesn?t mean the tactical approach was wrong, maybe the players missed shots they should have made or failed to press certain players according to the game plan.

Pioli and the players should relax and cut out the outside noise. Play their game and trust in themselves, play the lineup we saw decimate teams for a year. Mentality, fatigue and simple execution are the issues right now. Not the tactical approach or lineup.

Balanced take.

Are anyone legally sane suggesting a huge upheaval?

I think people are just being people and taking their frustrations out on Romagnoli. Even with my statements on him, I'm not sure the right move is benching him. It's not like he's the player holding back our midfield and attack from owning and deciding games. As I said in the opening posts I'd like us to pick an XI and play it every game. Only Ibra needs to rest certain games, Kjaer is 31 years old ffs.

I think a misconception we've grown into is that this team will work like it did before Christmas whoever plays. This has not been the case, and the endless rotations are in my view at the root of our current issues.

Forza Padre.

BreadPitt

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori, Nesta, Maldini,Tassotti, Silva, Seedorf, Baresi, Totti, *Abate*,
Balanced take.

Are anyone legally sane suggesting a huge upheaval?

I think people are just being people and taking their frustrations out on Romagnoli. Even with my statements on him, I'm not sure the right move is benching him. It's not like he's the player holding back our midfield and attack from owning and deciding games. As I said in the opening posts I'd like us to pick an XI and play it every game. Only Ibra needs to rest certain games, Kjaer is 31 years old ffs.

I think a misconception we've grown into is that this team will work like it did before Christmas whoever plays. This has not been the case, and the endless rotations are in my view at the root of our current issues.

Forza Padre.

Well said :thumbsup:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The only real issue with benching Romagnoli is that it sends a signal to the team. After a long run of good forms and staying on top of the table, to cave in after a few bad games and bench the captain shows a lack of faith. That can be 100% true and it can also be 100% true that his last couple performances warrant a spot on the bench for now.

It’s a hard spot for Pioli to be in.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
I still don?t think Pioli needs to go for an overhaul or a big shift in approach. That kind of reactionary thinking has been a problem at this club for years, and honestly the fickle fans on here are annoying and part of the problem. Especially with a young team who the entire season the management has been claiming their goal is top 4. Sometimes you have to play your way back into form. Anyone who?s actually played real sports before knows that.

What I am saying is that a super knee jerk reaction to blow up the team and start from scratch, which a lot of you want, is not the right way to go. We have played the youngest line up in Europe multiple times in the past year, this team right now needs consistency and they need to play how they know. With the second half of last season and the first half of this one, Milan put together basically an entire season worth of good performances, enough that if the timeline was a bit different we could be champions. The players you all keep bitching about were on the field, playing well, beating big teams. They don?t have to prove themselves again after a few bad games. Tactics are one thing but execution is another. We have missed chances that for a good 12 months we were scoring. The chances haven?t entirely gone away, just the execution has. Every time a team loses it doesn?t mean the tactical approach was wrong, maybe the players missed shots they should have made or failed to press certain players according to the game plan.

Who suggested starting from scratch ?!!!
Everyone in the team are being rotated & its for their own good considering we are playing twice a week.
So Pioli have an option where we can bench Roma mostly in seriea while fielding him in EL hence keep him , the team & us happy.

voom

Banned
Reaction score
I hope Ronagnoli will have some motivation against his former club and as a Lazialo. Every team has scored on us, Roma can be make it or break it game. We need few hungry players ,who will give everything on the pitch, and i believe in good results.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Been too proudy... lost a big lead... just hoping for a good, clean, honest victory tomorrow.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
I hope Ronagnoli will have some motivation against his former club and as a Lazialo. Every team has scored on us, Roma can be make it or break it game. We need few hungry players ,who will give everything on the pitch, and i believe in good results.

Romagnoli is not playing tomorrow

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
We need to play a big match and take the 3 points.

A win here will give us a big edge over the two Roman clubs.

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
I’m confident that Even Pioli will coach circles around Fonseca and make him dizzy with his superior managerial talent.

Roma 0-3 Milan

Ibra to score a brace and Leao to score the 3rd

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
. This is a must win

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Romagnoli will be dropped against Roma. Tomori will start alongside Kj?r. [Sky]

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Big game day! I will show up to support Genoa at 15:00, hoping for a good result there so that we win and rejoin the title race this evening!

Forza Milan!

VillaiN

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Bad form cant go on forever. Lets make this game our turn around. Hoping Rebic wont come drunk for a game. He could have scored 3 against Red Star.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Took a couple games but Pioli has cojones. Maybe he thought Romagnoli in the EL game could get himself out of the rut after a few bad games where he was at fault for goals. My main hope of this is that Romagnoli as captain realizes finally he has to step up and perform. Lead the team.

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It sends a really great message to the team if Romagnoli is benched. It shows everyone that bad performances isn't accepted, not even from the captain.

That's the culture we should have.

Schedule