Week 19: Milan - Atalanta 23/01/2021 18:00 CET

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we got so utterly outplayed today that you can't but be worried. This was not an ordinary defeat by any means.

In general I'm getting worried by how much our intensity, in pressing and in attacking has been falling in the last 2 months or so. This is what made the team so dangerous and Serie A leader but it's not happening lately. Pioli adjusted to the missing players by sitting deeper and conceding possession and we still won most games but our performances have been falling. We used to outwork teams.

And today we faced a team that play with the intensity and grit that we used to play at the start of the season and it showed. They were two levels above us. That was a team on top of their game x a team in rythm of preseason. Although that one game was mostly a tactical win... There was one team with a game plan.

I'm hoping that things will somehow revert back to our average performance before the injuries did hit us in December. Once Rebic, Saele, Hakan and Bennacer get back in full fitness.

But for now I just really hope this defeat doesn't get into the players nerves. We have the worst possible next game in three days.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Almost missed this gem tonight. For having the most beta mindset even after Milan is on top of the league. I present you the winner of tonights *BIGGEST MATCHDAY LOSER AWARD*

Bye bye dreams of scudetto.

Congratulations!!!

Honorable mention for drucurl for being a beta going shopping with the misses instead of watching the game
:o:o

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
thats a good fucking suggestion mate... dru your defence?

The game was at 1:00 pm. Trinidad time
I left home at 11:30 thinking that at worst I would miss the first half
I through it myself at the mercy of the tribunal :o

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
This is on pioli.. rebic should have started.. samu shouldn’t have started/stayed on for past half time .. why the fuck start meite and in that position?! Why not diaz the obvious choice??!!! Fuck u coach

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Donnarumma: 6.0 (Alert, made a few good saves, perhaps unlucky on the PK. Conceded 3 goals)

Calabria: 5.5 (2019 Calabria)

Kjaer: 6.5 (Atalanta and his teammates gave him a difficult night but he bailed us out a few times)

Kalulu: 5.0 (Had a great start, saving the team on a few occasions until he got bullied by Romero. Should've been subbed earlier, the injury seem to have played a part in the PK incident)

Theo: 5.0 (Pretty bad in both phases.)

Kessie: 5.5 (Not his night. Too sloppy on several occasions. But the Atalanta press would put any midfielder in difficulty)

Tonali: 5.5 (A liability in the first half, but one of very few Milan players with an acceptable 2nd. Took a lot of defensive responsibility and showed a lot of personality in the chaotic last 30 minutes.)

Leao: 5.0 (Very good first 10 mins, terrible rest of his time on the pitch. Still zero chemistry Theo, and not as good as Rebic at playing off Ibra.)

Meite: 3.0 (Proved to be a costly mistake from Pioli. Near useless on and off ball. He wasn't ready for this. Even Krunic was better in his first few outings in that role.)

Samu: 6.0 (Did his part defensively, as usual, and was able to resist their press and maintain possession in their half, but we need more end product.

Ibra: 5.5 (Should've scored but this wasn't his night. His holdup play wasn't as good as usual, although Meite and Leao aren't as good at taking advantage of it as Hakan and Rebic. Atalanta were more physical and intense than he's used to. Not all of them are like Caldara.)

Rebic: 5.0 (We really missed an in form Rebic tonight. We got a rusty one that joined when it was almost over.)

Manduzkic: .. (Gave more than he has at the moment. No chemistry with Ibra. Looked like he was about to pass out at the end.)

Musacchio: 6.0 (Joined at a very difficult moment. Didn't do that badly, considering the circumstances and how little he has played in the last 11 months, but he did get embarrassed on at least one occasion.

Diaz: 5.5 (Another player with a night to forget. Got double pressed as soon as he was on the ball, which proved to be more than he could handle. Still, he was an improvement from Meite and much more of an attacking threat.)

Last edited:

Dokoa

Milan Icon
Reaction score
This is on pioli.. rebic should have started.. samu shouldn?t have started/stayed on for past half time .. why the fuck start meite and in that position?! Why not diaz the obvious choice??!!! Fuck u coach

That wouldn't change anything. We lost battle in the midfield and that was it. With Calhanoglu and Bennacer in midfield it would have been different. It is what it is, let's get back on the track

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
There is no need to overanalyze the game amigos. You have a brain and you see exactly what happend and that there is nothing to worry about.

What happend is that yes, we played bad, but not as bad as people make it out to be. It was just, yes just, one of thosd game where nothing went our way. We've had plenty of clean cut chances to score as many goals as they did. The difference was they managed to score their goals. Referee was a piece of shit and allowed Atalanta to play as brutal as they did with no concequenses while we couldn't play not even a little physical without the eeferee whistling for a foul. That's a huge difference maker and thats why the ball seemed to always end up in their possession.

Just one of those games. Everyone has them. We will come back and seek for blood upcoming games.

Forza Milan!!!
This is wrong, we had a bad game and no it wasn't just "one of those games". We never had a chance the way we were playing.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Well, we got so utterly outplayed today that you can't but be worried. This was not an ordinary defeat by any means.

In general I'm getting worried by how much our intensity, in pressing and in attacking has been falling in the last 2 months or so. This is what made the team so dangerous and Serie A leader but it's not happening lately. Pioli adjusted to the missing players by sitting deeper and conceding possession and we still won most games but our performances have been falling. We used to outwork teams.

And today we faced a team that play with the intensity and grit that we used to play at the start of the season and it showed. They were two levels above us. That was a team on top of their game x a team in rythm of preseason. Although that one game was mostly a tactical win... There was one team with a game plan.

I'm hoping that things will somehow revert back to our average performance before the injuries did hit us in December. Once Rebic, Saele, Hakan and Bennacer get back in full fitness.

But for now I just really hope this defeat doesn't get into the players nerves. We have the worst possible next game in three days.

Well that was a nice way to draw up a hell is breaking loose scenario.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I hope shoes and water bottles were flying around in the dressing room after the game.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This is wrong, we had a bad game and no it wasn't just "one of those games". We never had a chance the way we were playing.

But we did have chances the way we were playing?

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Andre Silva scored twice again
#JustSayin :o

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A bad game is the one like Inter played vs Juve. Juve stood no chance because there was not a sibgle time during the game they were close to the goal. THAT is not to stand a chance because if they do not have a shot on goal there is not a possibility to score a goal, the very fundamental aspect of football that is needed to win games.

We had chances, plenty, to score atleast 3 goals as they did. Difference was our shots didnt go in while they did and hence it was one of those games. Bear in mind that I acknowledge the fact we played bad.

And every team has these kind of games, literally everyone. Take Juve as an example vs Inter again. Or take Inter who look pathetic every game (except Juve) but especially their game vs Sampdoria. Roma couldnt do a single thing vs Lazio.

One of those games, no need to overanalyze. Just be thirsty for blood nezt game

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
This is totally on Pioli. Meite as CAM was horrible choice, he should've played with Kessie instead of Tonali. Leao shouldn't have started as well, not vs Atalanta in 1st half. Rebic, if fit or even Hauge would've been better, as he contributes defensively much more.

I'm not worried though, shit happens. You can't get everything perfect all the time

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate this game.

We really missed Bennacer.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks

I mean we were horrible tonight but this adds another dimension to how worried I am now.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
This is totally on Pioli. Meite as CAM was horrible choice, he should've played with Kessie instead of Tonali. Leao shouldn't have started as well, not vs Atalanta in 1st half. Rebic, if fit or even Hauge would've been better, as he contributes defensively much more.

I'm not worried though, shit happens. You can't get everything perfect all the time

Hauge? You cant be serious.
Take your biased glasses off

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Atalnta deserved to win , shit happens & i wanna see a response comes next game
Dont blame Meite , Diaz didnt do better ... Hakan is irreplaceable.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I?m not overly concerned after this match.

1) Pioli completely got things wrong starting Meite, doing so forfeited momentum completely to Atalanta for basically 40 minutes in the first half. This was the type of decision that Pioli has been criticized for in the past by his previous clubs, he just outthought himself. By the time Diaz came on in the second half, Atalanta?s confidence was through the roof and we had been choked out of the match.

2) Atalanta flat out outplayed us today. They are a very good team and much further along than we are in their project. These days happen against teams like that.

3) Hakan, Rebic, Bennacer, and Sael were missing (Rebic wasn?t match fit). Leao was once again played out of his best position... Theo was extremely limited because his comfort blanket Rebic was out for most of the match and not fit. One of his worst performances on a Milan shirt both in attack and defense.

4) Sometimes it?s not your day, let?s hope it was simply a case of being off our game + Atalanta being on theirs.

Conclusion: No conclusion... we struggled, we are missing a lot of players, Pioli flubbed his lines massively with one change that completely messed up his system. Learn from it and move on. Next two Serie A matches are winnable and we need to take 6/6 to make up for tonight.

Torcida

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Totti, Gattuso, Maldini, Ronaldo 9
Disgraceful performance combined with a brilliant display from atalanta. But are we going into a full meltdown mode again? We are top of the league after 19 rounds having played without our key players for the most part. Few unlucky games and two losses. One against jucentus with a decimated squad and the one today, the only one where we can say we were proper bad. Also still in EL and Coppa. We are coming back to our full squad and with a bit of luck and good displays the 1st place is ours to lose.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rebic: 5.0 (We really missed an in form Rebic tonight. We got a rusty one that joined when it was almost over.)

I was thinking about this but for the whole season. He had a bad injury just when the team was getting out of preseason. He came back kinda slow which is normal and had to be played as CF and then that fucking virus got to him.

In the end only 9 starts in Serie A and one goal...
He's back for good now and can't wait for him to be in form again and own that left wing and reignite the partnership with Theo

voom

Banned
Reaction score
They didn't allow us to attack! Our midfield didn't work. It was disconnected mess. Atalanta and their pressing was great.
Better team won. I applauded Pioli for his idea of playing Meite,but that was disaster. Our fullbacks were shit. We need to bounce back quickly ,other teams are chasing us and getting in form. Hakan and Bennacer i hope to see them soon .

voom

Banned
Reaction score
I saw 4 chances fecked up... I also read Mando had a chance.

Ibra missed good chance in first half at 0-1 ,Mandzo had good chance when there was 0-3 and Brahim hit the post. That is it. Atalanta could easily scored two more. Simply, they were much better team tonight.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Hauge? You cant be serious.
Take your biased glasses off

Can't expect a guy who turns off the game at halftime to notice how often Hauge tracks back and recovers balls. I'm not very happy with his whole level thus far, but you can't deny this aspect of his game.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Holy shit, Ilicic tore us a new one. Atalanta raped us again.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Ibra missed good chance in first half at 0-1 ,Mandzo had good chance when there was 0-3 and Brahim hit the post. That is it. Atalanta could easily scored two more. Simply, they were much better team tonight.

Ibra had 3. Meite had a header. And you agree Mando had 1. Diaz's post.

Schedule