Sandro Tonali Thread

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Come on Sandro. Show us something great.

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
does he suck? is he good? unclear

I second that. Unclear to say the least. He seems to want to be effective, playing very "minimally" with good passing skills, but the grinta is clearly not there. Positioning+defensive awareness or agressivity are lacking for DM. Maybe he used to play more offensive? idk.

I thought he was compared to Gattuso. That's the most surprising to me.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
He seems limited at the moment.
Maybe these are the instructions of Pioli.
You can see that there is more in him than what we have seen until now.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I second that. Unclear to say the least. He seems to want to be effective, playing very "minimally" with good passing skills, but the grinta is clearly not there. Positioning+defensive awareness or agressivity are lacking for DM. Maybe he used to play more offensive? idk.

I thought he was compared to Gattuso. That's the most surprising to me.

He was never compared to Gattuso. He said that was his favorite player or smth like that

I'm ok to give him time to grow, if the coach sees potential in him, but it's clear that we can't rely on him even for proper rotation. Considering that Scudetto is a possibility and we should go full at it, we'll probably need another DM in January. Maybe Paolo can pull a cheeky loan. I'd take someone experienced

Last edited:

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
He was never compared to Gattuso. He said that was his favorite player or smth like that

oh, he was. Italian newspapers presented him like a Gattuso with good feet

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
He reminds me a bit of Benaccer last season ( not the playing style ).. Obviously Benaccer started better but looked shaky also infront of the defense and often lost the ball when he shouldnt have. Difference is Benaccer replaced crap midfielders, Tonali is replacing great midfielders ... so the comparison is always going to be tough for Tonali.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
His assist was great. Needs to keep it up with those passes that thread the needle and work hard on his defensive tackling and strength.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

People compared him with Pirlo.
He compared himself with Gattuso.

I'd say he's more of a Pirlo.
A naive Pirlo who attempts ambitious/difficult passes on the ground rather than high balls.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Time to step up now.

Stitches

Milan Legend
Reaction score
bringing this here
yIqoTI2.gif

replay - https://i.imgur.com/cwL3lOI.gif

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
All the best �� Hoping for a good game from him today...

For some reason I've felt he'd perform better with Kessie than Bennacer

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Took his chance well and played a solid game today. More minutes awaiting him in the next games.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
He presses up higher than our other DMs. He has been a nightmare for Fiorentina trying to build possession.

Sooner or later he will learn positional defending too.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Positioning is a problem with him. He is always one step behind when defending. He is more suited in free role I feel. Playing as dm in current formation requires lots of discipline. He is more of a adventurous type.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Positioning is a problem with him. He is always one step behind when defending. He is more suited in free role I feel. Playing as dm in current formation requires lots of discipline. He is more of a adventurous type.

Yesterday Calhanoglu tracked back more than usual, so that Tonali had that kind of free role.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Tonali has a lot of work to do an I believe he is still catching up with the rest of the team firstly because he joined late and secondly because he is young and trying to adapt to a big upgrade.

He is an all rounded player who can do a bit of everything. He brings balance and tempo to the team but he has a lot to learn and improve on.

What he does have that is unique for our midfielders is that he plays good vertical passes that are nicely weighed. This is something we have lacked since Pirlo left the club. It makes us so much more dangerous and adds to an already threatening attacks from the wings and centrally. A player like him will need a good centre forward who believes in Tonalis vertical play. Much like how Pippo was complimentary to Pirlos skill set.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I can imagine the team formation evolving into an Xmas tree formation looking like this

GK
Defence
RDM: Bennacer (a tidier version of Gattuso)
LDM: Kessie (A bit of Ambro, covering Theo)
CM: Tonali (a more advanced Pirlo)
RAM: Calhanoglu (connecting player, Seedorf style)
LF: Leao (player who runs at opponent, Kaka style)
CF: Rebic (player off the last man's shoulder, varies between hold up and diagonal runs Inzaghi/Shevchenko style)

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
This guy should learn from hauge, the guy coming from different laugue(farmers) doesnt know the language, have very few apperances but somehow make them count, thats a player with real potential and he cost just 4 millions

While tonali played in the league before, italian, had much more opportunities and still nothing to show for other than poor defending and 2 meters passes and he cost all of our summer budget with 35 millions.

What we gained from hauge transfer we conpensate it by failing with tonali's.

Thats my opinion so before his mothers come to defend him i would say fuck you i dont care, as long as he is sucking in my view,i will keep bashing him.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Good appearance today as he continues to head little by little in the right direction.

I can’t wait to see how he’s playing a year from now. Ideally, he needs to be paired with a strong defensive presence like Kessie IMO, so that just magnifies the importance of us finding a vice-Kessie to be Tonali’s primary partner. Then you have Kessie-Bennacer and Tonali-Insert Beast and then those four players can rotate.

He’s going to be an exceptional player, it’s just a matter of him finding his confidence and gaining experience. I’m excited to have him on our team :)

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
This guy should learn from hauge, the guy coming from different laugue(farmers) doesnt know the language, have very few apperances but somehow make them count, thats a player with real potential and he cost just 4 millions

While tonali played in the league before, italian, had much more opportunities and still nothing to show for other than poor defending and 2 meters passes and he cost all of our summer budget with 35 millions.

Thats my opinion so before his mothers come to defend him i would say fuck you i dont care, as long as he is sucking in my view,i will keep bashing him.

Why didn't you mention the amazing defence splitting pass to create our opening goal in the away game against Lille? You seem like you just hate him.

I agree he has to show a lot more but he's plenty of time to get there.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score

easy... easy.... He is improving. Playing as a DM is harder thinner margin of errors.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score

Pathetic

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Nah shut up lol. Did you even watch the game today. Him for krunic helped the game a lot. He?s been growing each week and still has a lot to show but this ain?t it chief, not after this game. Should have picked a different one

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Good appearance today as he continues to head little by little in the right direction.

I can?t wait to see how he?s playing a year from now. Ideally, he needs to be paired with a strong defensive presence like Kessie IMO, so that just magnifies the importance of us finding a vice-Kessie to be Tonali?s primary partner. Then you have Kessie-Bennacer and Tonali-Insert Beast and then those four players can rotate.

He?s going to be an exceptional player, it?s just a matter of him finding his confidence and gaining experience. I?m excited to have him on our team :)

+1

Some people were making fun of Devilo, but in odd moments I see a lot of truth in his comment about Tonali being able to play higher in the pitch as well.

I'd like to see how he'd do in Hakans position.

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
I like how we are gently massaging our young and new guys into the squad. Tonali is improving his grip on things without standing out too much. That’s fine by me and we have seen how one can over hype and over expect from wonderkids in the past...

Someone mentioned learning from hauge? Well hauge also had a less than stellar match just a few days ago vs Fiorentina and he came good today. Same will happen with Sandro, he will have ups as well as downs. Important thing is to gain some reliability. We don’t need 9s and 10s from him every game. Mostly 7s and the occasional 8s and I’d consider it a good season.

Schedule