Krunic
Rebic
Mandzukic

Milan vs Red Star according to **********

Last edited:

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i have had a similar discussion online with a few Chelsea fans when we got Tomori...

they were saying things like "he'll be learning playing next to a great defender like Romagnoli"...which is partly true, he'll learn something for sure, but...

they still have the perception of Romagnoli of 3-5 years ago, when we all saw the qualities and anticipated greatness, when the name was among the best young CB in the game.

they don't follow anything other than their league so haven't updated that perception by seeing the very little progress he made...
his qualities are there but the flaws are so big they almost negate the good.
that lack of any kind of pace + playing reactionary defense outweigh his capacity to intercept, read, head.

in today's game the last outfield position where players can get away with lack of speed is midfield...and for that he'd have to have great passing, vision, and speed of execution....and maybe a very strong CF...
all other positions, if you're slow you're doomed

Well, Romagnoli is a great player is most aspects. I mean, it is obvious that he lacks pace which is not really up to him and he is not good 1 vs 1 (up to him, but I won't be surprised if he improves this with the time) but his positioning, game reading, tackling, etc. are top quality. He clears a lot of balls each game, blocks a lot of shots and is very useful in general. Rarely covering offsides, rarely misplacing passes. Good in the air.

The problem is that he is the left CB next to a very offensive LB who is often caught out of position. In such situations he is left alone against a winger (usually very fast and tricky players) who already has the ball at his feet and has accelerated enough to just kick the ball around him and outrun him. In such situation Romagnoli has 2 options - try a tackle risking a foul therefore yellow + set piece or letting the opponent beat him. Both frustrating to watch. Another thing that is not helping him is that Kjaer is not fast either and can't cover for Alessio's lack of pace. Losing the ball in the midfield by Kessie or Bennacer often leads to situation 3 vs 3 because of our playing style with us having nobody fast enough. Calabria and Dalot are also not the fastest players you can find.

Romagnoli would be absolutely great in a more defensive team led by Simeone, Mourinho or Gattuso. He is not suitable for teams with high pressing style like Atalanta or Liverpool.

Having said that, fielding Kjaer-Romagnoli against Barella, Hakimi, Lautaro and Lukaku will be suicidal. We need Tomori because merda are very good at counters and apart from Theo we have nobody fast enough to keep up with them.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Romagnoli and Kjaer should not play together, simple as it is.

Romagnoli-Tomori
Romagnoli-Gabbia
Kjaer-Tomori
Kjaer-Gabbia

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Or the one with Viking blood?

B593033C-F32E-4DA3-8CC8-38D4196D05A4.jpg

Is his career over?

Romagnoli should not play

fixed

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Romagnoli and Kjaer should not play together, simple as it is.

Romagnoli-Tomori
Romagnoli-Gabbia
Kjaer-Tomori
Kjaer-Gabbia

Romagnoli and Kjaer have played plenty of times together and they were excellent. They are the best CB pairing we have provided that they are both fit to play.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
During training an 11 against 11 took place.

The first team had Le?o, Hakan, Saelemaekers & Ibra as an offensive quartet, the second had Rebic, Krunic, Castillejo & Mandzukic.

The 2nd team could start against Belgrade, the 1st against Inter.

[@SkySport ]

I'd like to see Rebic start v. Inter rather than Leao. He's more combative and IMO is who we need for the derby. Also, when Rebic plays on the left, Theo plays faaaar better. So start Rebic then bring on Leao later when Inter defenders legs are a bit tired. This is the way.:thumbsup:

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
in today's game the last outfield position where players can get away with lack of speed is midfield...and for that he'd have to have great passing, vision, and speed of execution....and maybe a very strong CF...
all other positions, if you're slow you're doomed

so wrong.. this is Fifa video game mindset. Speed in a CB is nice and can be amazing if attached to the right package, but it is faaaar from necessary. By far the most important attributes of a top defender are positioning, anticipation, timely intervention/game reading, and marking. By your logic Van Dijk, Ramos, Stones, Chiellini, De Ligt, Skriniar, Pique, Hummels, and a ton more of what people would consider 'top defenders' would be "doomed" since they're not very fast.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Well, Romagnoli is a great player is most aspects. I mean, it is obvious that he lacks pace which is not really up to him and he is not good 1 vs 1 (up to him, but I won't be surprised if he improves this with the time) but his positioning, game reading, tackling, etc. are top quality. He clears a lot of balls each game, blocks a lot of shots and is very useful in general. Rarely covering offsides, rarely misplacing passes. Good in the air.

The problem is that he is the left CB next to a very offensive LB who is often caught out of position. In such situations he is left alone against a winger (usually very fast and tricky players) who already has the ball at his feet and has accelerated enough to just kick the ball around him and outrun him. In such situation Romagnoli has 2 options - try a tackle risking a foul therefore yellow + set piece or letting the opponent beat him. Both frustrating to watch. Another thing that is not helping him is that Kjaer is not fast either and can't cover for Alessio's lack of pace. Losing the ball in the midfield by Kessie or Bennacer often leads to situation 3 vs 3 because of our playing style with us having nobody fast enough. Calabria and Dalot are also not the fastest players you can find.

Romagnoli would be absolutely great in a more defensive team led by Simeone, Mourinho or Gattuso. He is not suitable for teams with high pressing style like Atalanta or Liverpool.

Having said that, fielding Kjaer-Romagnoli against Barella, Hakimi, Lautaro and Lukaku will be suicidal. We need Tomori because merda are very good at counters and apart from Theo we have nobody fast enough to keep up with them.

We pretty much agree on all. He has great qualities but unfortunately the aspects he is not good at, are what the team need the most right now.
he would excel with a Mourinho, Simeone team. But not for a team that want to play high and attacking football.

Now the 2nd paragraph starting with ?the problem is...? feels like, and I could be wrong, you?re trying to share the blame for his inadequacy with others...a modern attacking FB will sometimes get caught out of position, will sometimes lose the ball. That?s just normal in football let alone the style we?re playing (or trying to).
The midfielders trying to progress the ball through dribbling will sometimes lose it. It?s part of the game... and when they do, the team should be able to cope with it (most of the time) through complementarity of the players. A good team is made of complementary players. When that?s not the case, the odd piece should be changed.

To achieve that complementarity, Do we get a stay at home LB to help him? Or get (play) a faster CB that can cover and allow Hernandez to do his thing? ... no brainer

Having a faster good cb, that give Theo, but especially 79&4 (Since Theo Naturally does it), the freedom to join the attack with more confidence and purpose could really be a big plus to the way we play and make us more dangerous.

I could be wrong. But that?s how your point ?sounded? to me: ?he is good but the way Theo (79&4) play is not Helping him? ... which seems to be putting some blame for his shortcomings on them ... they play the way they (and the team) are supposed to play, and it comes with risks. And as a part of the machine, big part of his role (CB) is to mitigate those risks and he is simply badly equipped for it. Like having a Phillips screwdriver when you new a slotted one.

Let?s be clear, nobody is under the delusion that once a fast good cb on 1v1 get there we will no longer concede goals in that manner... but the chances are greatly reduced. Because at the moment, when player runs at him, it too often end up in a good chance.
When he played with Kalulu... I was less nervous when an opponent ran at Kalulu than him.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
so wrong.. this is Fifa video game mindset. Speed in a CB is nice and can be amazing if attached to the right package, but it is faaaar from necessary. By far the most important attributes of a top defender are positioning, anticipation, timely intervention/game reading, and marking. By your logic Van Dijk, Ramos, Stones, Chiellini, De Ligt, Skriniar, Pique, Hummels, and a ton more of what people would consider 'top defenders' would be "doomed" since they're not very fast.

Pretty sure Van Dijk is fast.

And why is stones named in this list? He's not good at all.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We pretty much agree on all. He has great qualities but unfortunately the aspects he is not good at, are what the team need the most right now.
he would excel with a Mourinho, Simeone team. But not for a team that want to play high and attacking football.

Now the 2nd paragraph starting with ?the problem is...? feels like, and I could be wrong, you?re trying to share the blame for his inadequacy with others...a modern attacking FB will sometimes get caught out of position, will sometimes lose the ball. That?s just normal in football let alone the style we?re playing (or trying to).
The midfielders trying to progress the ball through dribbling will sometimes lose it. It?s part of the game... and when they do, the team should be able to cope with it (most of the time) through complementarity of the players. A good team is made of complementary players. When that?s not the case, the odd piece should be changed.

To achieve that complementarity, Do we get a stay at home LB to help him? Or get (play) a faster CB that can cover and allow Hernandez to do his thing? ... no brainer

Having a faster good cb, that give Theo, but especially 79&4 (Since Theo Naturally does it), the freedom to join the attack with more confidence and purpose could really be a big plus to the way we play and make us more dangerous.

I could be wrong. But that?s how your point ?sounded? to me: ?he is good but the way Theo (79&4) play is not Helping him? ... which seems to be putting some blame for his shortcomings on them ... they play the way they (and the team) are supposed to play, and it comes with risks. And as a part of the machine, big part of his role (CB) is to mitigate those risks and he is simply badly equipped for it. Like having a Phillips screwdriver when you new a slotted one.

Let?s be clear, nobody is under the delusion that once a fast good cb on 1v1 get there we will no longer concede goals in that manner... but the chances are greatly reduced. Because at the moment, when player runs at him, it too often end up in a good chance.
When he played with Kalulu... I was less nervous when an opponent ran at Kalulu than him.

I am not blaming anyone else, especially Theo. Having him in the team adds a new dimension to the attack and him making mistakes is part of the game. I am just pointing out why Romagnoli's performances are not as solid as they were 2-3 years ago. His characteristics are just not suitable for a pressing team, especially when there are not many pacey players around him.

I have absolutely no idea what 79&4 means...

Same goes for Leao. He is a not a CF, he is also not a LW IMO. He could make a great complimentary striker to Zlatan in 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 playing a bit in front of Hakan and slightly behind Zlatan allowed to drive to the flank when there's free space. Again he is not performing at his highest level because he is not suitable for our current formation.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score

Ok. I?m Not a FIFA or a big video game fan, played a bit of PES back in the days , but I haven?t played in about a decade. so they don?t shape my appreciation of things.
I do watch a lot of games though, and it hard to miss that the game has gotten faster and players with poor athletics are not shinning bright lately. And they?ll probably start to get rejected at youth level.

All these attributes you noted are logically attributes of to be considered a good defender...but in today?s game if you don?t have some speed with that you will be ?he is good, but...? point and case here, our own captain.
all the upcoming defenders and sought after by big clubs, they can run.
Now do you think if Romagnoli is put on sale now, there will be a host of big clubs trying to sign him? I doubt ... he does have a lot of the attributes of a defender.

Most of the players you mentioned are not snails. That lead me to believe that you have a FIFA mindset ... because there, no matter how fast a CB is they never rate his speed on par with the attacking players. So that maybe led you to believe that the likes of Stones, Van dijk, de Ligt etc are not fast.
What does fast mean to you? Adama Traore or nothing?

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
I am not blaming anyone else, especially Theo. Having him in the team adds a new dimension to the attack and him making mistakes is part of the game. I am just pointing out why Romagnoli's performances are not as solid as they were 2-3 years ago. His characteristics are just not suitable for a pressing team, especially when there are not many pacey players around him.

Same goes for Leao. He is a not a CF, he is also not a LW IMO. He could make a great complimentary striker to Zlatan in 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 playing a bit in front of Hakan and slightly behind Zlatan allowed to drive to the flank when there's free space. Again he is not performing at his highest level because he is not suitable for our current formation.

Cool, just my perception. I now it wasn?t your intention.
I would have worded differently.
The way it was written ?the problem ( of Romagnoli) is...? followed by ?Theo being out of position and 79&4 (Kessie Bennacer) losing balls? .... it?s hard to not make the connection.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Calabria-Tomori-Roma-Theo will be a godly back 4 as a collective. Kjaer is a very strong defender too and will continue to be important for us, but imo for the collective strength of the back 4 he is a bit not this and not that.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Morning friends, lots of interviews this morning to share!

Pioli pre-match for Red Star EL game:

Are you excited to get back to playing? “We are happy to return to play in Europe. The team must have the same desire to go through as the one they saw against Rio Ave. We want to be the surprise in Europe.”

How is the morale of the team after the defeat against Spezia? “We have to look forward as we always have. In sport it is not what you have done, but what you will do. We want to start well even though we know it is a tie that lasts 180 minutes. We play against a team that is dominating its league.”

Are you already thinking about the derby? “We wanted with all our strength to be here to play the Europa League. We must remain humble and have great convictions in our means. Let’s think about tomorrow, then we will have time to better prepare for the derby.”

Was Romagnoli right when he said you underestimated Spezia? “The worrying thing would have been if we had lost playing like Milan. On Saturday we didn’t play like Milan. Now let’s look ahead and think about the next matches.”

How is Mandzukic? “He’s a great professional, he’s got in well. He’s working hard, he’s very available. He’s ready to play tomorrow too.”

Will Ibra be in Belgrade tomorrow? “Ibra will be called up. They will all come to Belgrade”

How will the next matches be? “A period with many matches begins. All are important, starting with tomorrow’s. A decisive period begins for both Serie A and the Europa League.”

How is your experience with players whose last name ends in -ic? “I like them very much because they are hard workers. They are strong, they are great personalities. They respect you and say what they think, I like people who do this.”

Will playing without a crowd be an advantage for you? “We are sorry because we wanted fans. The fans would have loaded the Red Star, but we too, we miss hearing the fans at the stadium. I’m sorry that there are none tomorrow.”

Krunic pre-match:

What team are Red Star? “They are the strongest in Serbia. They are a good team. They also have a great past with Milan. We are confident and have an important awareness. We need to redeem ourselves after the defeat against Spezia. We hope to win.”

Is it difficult to be ready when you don’t play too much? “I’m trying to take advantage of my chances, I try to always be ready. The coach decides whether to use me from the start or the game in progress, I’m ready. I can’t wait to play.”

In what role are you best suited? “Even the coach knows that my natural role is as a mezzala. There’s not one in our formation, but I can do well both as a midfielder and as a playmaker or winger. It depends on the game, obviously the decision is always up to the coach.”

How is the team doing after Saturday’s defeat? “We are fine, we don’t need confusion after a defeat. The problem is how we lost, it wasn’t the real Milan. We talked to each other in these days, already tomorrow we have a chance to make up for it immediately. We must look forward.”

What will it be like for you to play against Red Star? “As a child I supported the Red Star. It will be nice to play the Marakana, I’m very excited and happy. But I’m a great professional, playing for Milan has always been a dream of mine.”

Calabria to CdS:

On his season so far: “I worked a lot, we worked a lot. Yes, it’s true, it’s as if Milan and I had grown together in this last year. We understood where there was to improve. and we did it. In silence, even when everyone was talking.”

On the Spezia defeat: “It was a bad day. The classic game where everything is wrong, everyone. But it’s already behind us. Now let’s raise our heads. Don’t panic, we’ll get out of it working. With humility, concentration, enthusiasm. For the first place in the table it’s a long race, nothing is compromised. What matters is to finish first. But now the head goes to the cup: we care a lot, we want to get to the end. Europe is Milan’s natural environment. We will think about the derby from Friday.”

On the upcoming derby: “It can change the season, of course. That’s why we want to win tomorrow in Belgrade: winning helps to win. Then we will think about the derby. And to win it, of course. Even in the first leg they thought we were underdogs, right?”

Are Inter the strongest team? “They are the best equipped together with Juve. But everything is very open. I repeat: we just have to keep quiet and work, as my father taught me.”

On Maldini: “I owe a lot to Maldini. He has encouraged me since I was in the youth sector. I have been a Milan player since I was a child. Milan was my dream and I kept it tight.”

On Pioli: “Pioli? There had been some misunderstanding in the early days. It was not easy for me to learn to play as he asked me. Then we talked a lot, we compared each other and today I improved a lot, thanks to his teachings. We have an exceptional relationship, he’s a great coach and a great man.”

What he learns from Ibrahimovic: “To give more, always. Zlatan makes a difference. You look at him and you feel stronger. He taught us to have the winning mentality, to be from Milan.”

Last edited:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
You have to listen my bro.

He was available on loan, CF & RW, 16 goals this season in all competitions, only 20 yo.

643AF6DA-59F9-46B1-BCCC-E6361993561F.jpg

He is not good enough and so slow.
Sit this one out

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Pingu no one cares about a krunic interview
giphy.gif

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
With how teams are playing nowadays and the extinction of world class defenders , speed &/or physicality are very important for defenders in todays game.
Most of the names provided are very dominant physically & participate tons with goals & build up.

Morning friends, lots of interviews this morning to share!

Pioli pre-match for Red Star EL game:

Krunic pre-match:

Calabria to CdS:
FFS with every interview they ask about Ibra to other players... just stop , we got him one year ago & we proved more of a team than a one man show.

Last edited:

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let's all just accept it once and for all. Romagnoli is not good enough. He should not be a starting CB for this Milan going forward.
And he'll never get better. He won't just magically get faster all of a sudden. Or stronger. He is the Suso of defenders. Some good technical aspects, but physically just not adequate.
And if he's getting burned regularly by what Seria A has to offer, then just imagine him in CL against players like Salah, Mbappe, Mane,...
He needs to get sold this summer. Especially if he's asking for a raise (and with Raiola its a certainty).
He's been here 6 years already. How long do we have to wait for him to get good? How long must we watch him cost us points because we believe he'll eventually become a world class player?
It ain't happening. Ever. Enough is enough.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Let's all just accept it once and for all. Romagnoli is not good enough. He should not be a starting CB for this Milan going forward.
And he'll never get better. He won't just magically get faster all of a sudden. Or stronger. He is the Suso of defenders. Some good technical aspects, but physically just not adequate.
And if he's getting burned regularly by what Seria A has to offer, then just imagine him in CL against players like Salah, Mbappe, Mane,...
He needs to get sold this summer. Especially if he's asking for a raise (and with Raiola its a certainty).
He's been here 6 years already. How long do we have to wait for him to get good? How long must we watch him cost us points because we believe he'll eventually become a world class player?
Oh , accept.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Wait for Romagnoli-Tomori partnership, imo Roma is suffering from having two risk taking defenders in Kjaer on the right and Theo on the left. He is still great, but Tomori shares his composure and that will lead to a great partnership with Tomori?s pace and Roma?s defensive arial strength.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

How many points has Romagnoli cost us this season?

Kessie Bennacer.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wait for Romagnoli-Tomori partnership, imo Roma is suffering from having two risk taking defenders in Kjaer on the right and Theo on the left. He is still great, but Tomori shares his composure and that will lead to a great partnership with Tomori?s pace and Roma?s defensive arial strength.

Lol, Tomori is probably the highest risk taking central defender to play in Milan in a long time, he's very proactive and aggressive. How is Kjaer a risk taker?

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
How many points has Romagnoli cost us this season?

Kessie Bennacer.

How many points did we lose?

He did not play against Atalanta when we lost 3-0.
Spezia game was lost anyway and he did not cost us anything, a goal conceded from free kick and the other was going to be a goal after our poor reaction in defence if Romagnoli did not tackle anyway.
Verona game ended with a draw thanks to Calabria?s own goal and our players hitting the post.
Parma & Genoa games ended with draws thanks to Kalulu?s incapability on aerial duels and poor marking of Bennacer-Calabria.

Maybe Juve game, but Juve game also showed poor performance of Theo but also Kjaer, so pretty much most of defence did not work.

Romagnoli’s biggest mistake was probably when Insigne dribbled him and Napoli scored, still we won 3-1.

Last edited:

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score

He WAS world class for 4 years with Milan.

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score

No he wasn't. He was very good in a defensive setup. And as someone else said, he would be again in a Mourinho or a Simeone type team. Not the kind of team Milan should aspire to be.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

boost post

:lol:

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lol, Tomori is probably the highest risk taking central defender to play in Milan in a long time, he's very proactive and aggressive. How is Kjaer a risk taker?

Tomori anticipates, Kjaer does that too but also tends to overcommit when already engaged or semi-engaged. I have to say it works for him and it is his style, but imo it is not the best trait for the defense as a collective.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Borini to CM:

“The Turkish league allows me to dedicate myself more to the attack, which is what I prefer. In the other leagues, however, more work is done on tactical application. It is a championship that I like, I feel very good. We are aiming for important results, we have the aim of qualifying for the next edition of the Europa League. The team is strong and the club is very ambitious.”

“At Milan I played less as a striker, but I’m happy to have made myself completely available, also playing in roles less congenial to my characteristics. In front of I had very strong players like Calhanoglu and Suso, I would have denied myself the possibility of playing if I had not accepted to cover other roles as well. I have always given priority to the team. I try to be useful where the coach wants. The important thing is the result the group gets. My goodbye? It was fair because I wasn’t playing. Obviously, as a professional, I want to play and at Milan I didn’t do it anymore, that’s why I decided to go elsewhere.”

“I’m not at all surprised by the great season Calhanoglu having. It has always had enormous potential, but it is very sensitive, even if it cannot be seen from the outside. A few situations he could not control, such as constant manager changes and corporate instability, have affected his performance over the past few years. But now, with a little more support and peace of mind, he is doing great things. And in my opinion it can do even better. Now a player must also evaluate the situation that has arisen due to Covid. It’s another stuff to be out of contract these days, so I would definitely advise him to renew.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule