Riccardo Saponara Thread

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You brain reads what it wants to read.

Try to stay away from nonsensical generalization.

Boateng > Saponara for 4-3-3

Ivanovic > Alex, De Sciglio, Abate, Zapata, Ely, Calabria.

Fellaini > Mauri, Poli, Kucka, De Jong.

I hope that's a little bit clearer.

They are not denying Kingsley Coman, Alaba, and Alcantara their right to start in our team. :lol:

- Boa better than Saponara in 4-3-3? I agree with you

- Ivanovic better than all 6 players mentioned? If you mean the Ivanovic from 1-2 years ago then Yes. If you mean the one from this year, Are u fucking kidding me?

- Fellaini? I am sorry but I truly do not rate a midfielder that thinks he is CF.
We had one in Muntari and besides his miracle goals he was mostly an open door. But whatever we have Balo and Menez already so why not another player that is tactically-free to do what he desires on the pitch.

I hope you GET what I am trying to say. Every year we say this is year Zero but it never was at all. My love for Milan will never die however I am tired with all those 'patches' that at this point can not even cover 10% of the scar we have suffered over the last 7-8 years.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
how do you not see the folly in this statement? I'm honestly baffled. there are 2 ways to get great players: 1) you sign them 2) you make them. We cannot afford to sign a 30m rated player for every position + 5 more on the bench. we need to enterprise. buying torres instead of playing niang? seriously? niang couldn't have scored 1 goal in the first half of the season, considering he scored 5 goals for genoa in the second half? mauri didn't show enough promise last season to suggest he may become more than a kucka- level player?

with all the money wasted on salaries and failed transfers we should have bought 1-2 top talents per year and developed these players we had. we didn't and signed countless mid table players that delivered mid table results. that wasn't galliani working within his parameters, thats a flawed, aimless project to mediocrity. which is why we are where we are now.

You know what the main problem is between you and I?

You actually rate the youth team players we buy, think they have some massive upside, and maybe, just maybe they will someday become 30 mil players. I dont see them anything more than Empoli and Serie B level players.

And this goes for every young player we have bought in the last decade for our academy that ended up leaving.

Why dont you answer the question I posed to you earlier?

Why wouldnt they diss the young players in the squad? How many of them amounted to anything after leaving Milan academies other than Aubameyang?

Can you even fill up your single hand on the names of the young players that left milan that you regret?

In fact, I'll go one step further - how many young players can you name that Milan was frontrunners for, that we failed to buy and they ended up being big shots in the last 10 years?

Edit: And stop taking the example of Niang FFS. He is back and in the starting line-up. What more do you want.

Last edited:

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
- Boa better than Saponara in 4-3-3? I agree with you

- Ivanovic better than all 6 players mentioned? If you mean the Ivanovic from 1-2 years ago then Yes. If you mean the one from this year, Are u fucking kidding me?

- Fellaini? I am sorry but I truly do not rate a midfielder that thinks he is CF.
We had one in Muntari and besides his miracle goals he was mostly an open door. But whatever we have Balo and Menez already so why not another player that is tactically-free to do what he desires on the pitch.

I hope you GET what I am trying to say. Every year we say this is year Zero but it never was at all. My love for Milan will never die however I am tired with all those 'patches' that at this point can not even cover 10% of the scar we have suffered over the last 7-8 years.

I am not overly concerned with Ivanovic's form in the first few months of Mourinho. If u talk performances then none of those Chelsea players would play for current Milan and yet rewind clock 6 months and 11/11 would.

I dont rate Fellaini either but I think he is better than the players I mentioned that's about it.

We can agree on the last part. Milan's "youth project" is not the answer though.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You know what the main problem is between you and I?

You actually rate the youth team players we buy, think they have some massive upside, and maybe, just maybe they will someday become 30 mil players. I dont see them anything more than Empoli and Serie B level players.

And this goes for every young player we have bought in the last decade for our academy.

Why dont you answer the question I posed to you earlier?

I'm gonna clear something up that may not have translated very well across the internet. I do not consider mauri, cristante, saponara, fossati, darmian, niang etc to be the greatest prospects in world football. I find it very unlikely that any of them will ever be rated 30m. I don't even find it probable that all of them would have gone on to be full regulars and lead us to 3rd place or scudetto.

But...

to not play them just so we could use fernando torres, cerci, zapata, muntari etc was disastrous. however badly they could have turned out, they probably wouldn't have gotten us relegated. worst case scenario we would still have been mid table for four years. we would also have saved tens of millions in wages and raised their value for potential sales, bringing in more money. this isn't abstract, every other club that doesn't have millions to spend does this. they don't just settle for nocerino.

I regret the sales of these players not because they became WC, but because of who they were replaced by, and the results they achieved.

Im not ashamed to say I was extremely keen for milan to sign guys like: Jedvaj, Lestienne, de Vrij, Joginho, Vrsaljko, Iturbe, Massimo Bruno, Martins Indi, Angel Correa.
Some of these guys had more success than others. but even if we'd signed flops it would have been a better project that what transpired. we would have had a chance at something, not bought a 1 way ticket to being irrelevant in world football.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I am not overly concerned with Ivanovic's form in the first few months of Mourinho. If u talk performances then none of those Chelsea players would play for current Milan and yet rewind clock 6 months and 11/11 would.

I dont rate Fellaini either but I think he is better than the players I mentioned that's about it.

We can agree on the last part. Milan's "youth project" is not the answer though.

Reality is that we have not money to invest and we cannot compete with midtable EPL teams without the CL option. Therefore, if we want to build a team we either go young or pay for washed up players hoping that they still have 1 or 2 good years left on them. "YOUTH project" is not the immediate success answer however it is the only one to compete in the future.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I'm gonna clear something up that may not have translated very well across the internet. I do not consider mauri, cristante, saponara, fossati, darmian, niang etc to be the greatest prospects in world football. I find it very unlikely that any of them will ever be rated 30m. I don't even find it probable that all of them would have gone on to be full regulars and lead us to 3rd place or scudetto.

But...

to not play them just so we could use fernando torres, cerci, zapata, muntari etc was disastrous. however badly they could have turned out, they probably wouldn't have gotten us relegated. worst case scenario we would still have been mid table for four years. we would also have saved tens of millions in wages and raised their value for potential sales, bringing in more money. this isn't abstract, every other club that doesn't have millions to spend does this. they don't just settle for nocerino.

I regret the sales of these players not because they became WC, but because of who they were replaced by, and the results they achieved.

Im not ashamed to say I was extremely keen for milan to sign guys like: Jedvaj, Lestienne, de Vrij, Joginho, Vrsaljko, Iturbe, Massimo Bruno, Martins Indi, Angel Correa.
Some of these guys had more success than others. but even if we'd signed flops it would have been a better project that what transpired. we would have had a chance at something, not bought a 1 way ticket to being irrelevant in world football.

Ok fair enough. :thumbsup: I respect that.

You are fine with Milan becoming Professor Xavier's Academy of semi-gifted footballers. Now that I think about it, Galliani looks like an idiot version of Professor Xavier :g:

Personally, to me it makes me no difference if we are mediocre with average overpaid players like Cerci or average youngsters like Cristante. Mid table is mid table. No UCL is no UCL and Milan is irrelevant without UCL. This makes me ok with spending money for a sure shot marginally better footballer over an unknown youngster.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
what the hell am I reading from you guys? I can't believe this discussion and there's no point continuing it. Now there's people saying mauri did absolutely shit and the fucking kid hasn't even made his league debut! wtf how can this even be a discussion?

saponara didn't say any of those things, thats r n b taking badly translated quotes out of context.

both of them showed sufficient promise to merit a chance which they haven't been given, I'm not saying it would have definitely worked out but it was a better option than signing a guaranteed mediocre player to replace them.

whenever you develop a youngster you have to put up with mistakes and a few bad performances. its part of the investment and it pays off in the end for well run clubs.

-a- I speak Italian fluently and I read 99% of the sources in Italian before they even make it to English websites or RnB so I don't talk about badly translated quotes.

-b- Jose Mauri played badly during the friendlies and he also didn't play good against Crotone which is a Serie B team. Mihajlovic sees him everyday and he has shown that he's not afraid to play young players if they deserves it. Now you're saying that you know better than Miha on whether Jose Mauri should play :rolleyes:

-c- It's true that youngsters need to develop but they also need to be able to give a good contribution, yes Jose Mauri played good with Parma but so did Nocerino and he's been perma-benched as well ... if youngsters can't play better than the low Serie A teams or the Italian Cup teams, then they are not ready and need to be loaned to a smaller team.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Here's an article from today about Saponara. The quote in Italian is this
"I 18 mesi in rossonero non li considero un fallimento, ma se devo trovare un colpevole imputo me stesso. Le responsabilit? per come sono andate le cose sono mie, non di altri"

It's translated to "The 18 months in red and black I don't consider as a failure, but if I need to find a guilty party, I am that one. The responsabilities for how the things went are mine and not of others"

http://ivm.ilcalciomagazine.it/2016/01/05/saponara-empoli-milan-2/

Last edited:

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
well done sapo. he took responsibility like every single player should and didn't bad mouth his former club. This quote shows far more maturity than most of the players in our squad. it also doesn't tell you much else. Its incredible how RnBers will take a statement like this to mean that he was lazy, unfit or couldn't cope mentally at a so called big club in mid table.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wish we could bring him back

Him & Bacca together would be insane

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wish we could bring him back

Him & Bacca together would be insane

That pass to Zielinski was just too good. If he had a Bacca or Pelle on his team Empoli would be crazy scary offensive wise.

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
Saponara's last goal

2579.jpg

Schedule