The Rumour Commode XXXI: The Panther Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The last few games have been quite alarming to me honestly. The team looks tired as fuck. We seem uninterested in dominating the opponent and allowed the opposition to create a lot of good situations in front of Donnarumma. No idea if it's Pioli's magic wearing off or the opponents got used to our style and know what to do now, but we have not impressed in a single game in 2021.
Benevento - played well until the red card. Nothing impressive but looked good enough for a comfortable win. Then the red card came and we shit our pants. Yeah, I know it is not easy to play with a man down, but this is part of the sport. You can't let such a bad team dominate you for 60 minutes. They created enough to win. What saved the game for us was Leao's wonder goal and Caprari missing the penalty. This game could've easily ended as a draw.
Juventus - outplayed in every aspect. We did not create enough to expect anything different than a loss.
Torino - again not impressive. Leao's goal came after good build up and then Brahim earned a penalty that could've been not given. Minutes later a similar situation went our way when the ref did not whistle a penalty for Torino. Looked like a correct call, but we all know they could've given it. Another game with tricky moments going our way.
Torino (coppa) - again not impressive. Needed penalties to beat this mediocre team.
Cagliari - controlled the game but again could not close the game as a big team. Stupid red card that made us play defensively. Donna with a massive save 1v1. Probably the best game in the period
Atalanta - not much to say. Outplayed and dominated for the whole game.
Inter (coppa) - 1 shot on target iirc. Dominated big time after the red. The ref fucked up on multiple occasions but this is not changing the fact that we again struggled to creat enough. Tatarusanu kept us alive. Could've lost 5-1.
Bologna - softly said not impressive. Needed 2 penalties to win against the worst Bologna side in the last years. In the final minutes fucked up and could've dropped points.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything bad about the team or Pioli, but it is a fact that we've been grinding wins this year with a loooooot of effort against shit teams and lost literally every derby - goal difference 2-8. Before that the same torment against Sassuolo and Lazio again with many things going our way (unprecedented 7th second goal + last second winner). Before that 2 draws against 2 of the worst teams in the league with Donna saving our ass in the last minute against Genoa. This is a total of 12 games in which we did not see the usual performance. Managed to get a lot of points but if we do not change the way we play we will start dropping points sooner or later.
I know that many players were missing and Pioli had to get creative to fill the holes, but still, if we are really going for the Scudetto we should improve our performance.
Another thing that bothers me is that the team looked dead physically. I know we played 3 games extra but that was in September ffs. Now we have 8 days of rest before Crotone. And only Kjaer will be missing. Zero excuses to not smash them comfortably with dominating performance.
You're not wrong, but let's not forget that no other team in Serie A has faced as many injuries, Covid cases and suspensions at once since December as we did. It's basically two months we play 2-3 games per week with 5-7 players missing each game, most of them starters.

I'm saying this: Inter and Atalanta most probably would have crumbled. We didn't. That's huge and the reason why I'm always coming back to the point that our squad depth is very underrated.

That being said, playing so many games with such a reduced squad and so little time to rest over such a long period of time can't but result in a drop of fitness form, which lately made as look tired and not as fresh as we used to be. That's nothing to do with Pioli magic wearing off or opponents figuring us out (which isn't that difficult to do anyway, every coach and staff with eyes can figure out opponent teams and prepare a game accordingly). It's just the logical consequence of what's been going on here.

I hate to loose derby's, but this time it might have been a blessing in disguise. Having to play Juve twice in the upcoming two weeks would probably destroy us physically.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I was absolutely pleased with us getting knocked out of Coppa. If it was up to me I would've preferred losing to Torino honestly. We are entering the crucial part of the season and we need fresh legs. Adding 2 derbies with Juventus is the last thing we needed. After the Spezia game we are entering a period of 2 games per week until May (as we will likely ko Zvezda).

R.Akbar

Allenatore
Reaction score
The last few games have been quite alarming to me honestly. The team looks tired as fuck. We seem uninterested in dominating the opponent and allowed the opposition to create a lot of good situations in front of Donnarumma. No idea if it's Pioli's magic wearing off or the opponents got used to our style and know what to do now, but we have not impressed in a single game in 2021.
Benevento - played well until the red card. Nothing impressive but looked good enough for a comfortable win. Then the red card came and we shit our pants. Yeah, I know it is not easy to play with a man down, but this is part of the sport. You can't let such a bad team dominate you for 60 minutes. They created enough to win. What saved the game for us was Leao's wonder goal and Caprari missing the penalty. This game could've easily ended as a draw.
Juventus - outplayed in every aspect. We did not create enough to expect anything different than a loss.
Torino - again not impressive. Leao's goal came after good build up and then Brahim earned a penalty that could've been not given. Minutes later a similar situation went our way when the ref did not whistle a penalty for Torino. Looked like a correct call, but we all know they could've given it. Another game with tricky moments going our way.
Torino (coppa) - again not impressive. Needed penalties to beat this mediocre team.
Cagliari - controlled the game but again could not close the game as a big team. Stupid red card that made us play defensively. Donna with a massive save 1v1. Probably the best game in the period
Inter (coppa) - 1 shot on target iirc. Dominated big time after the red. The ref fucked up on multiple occasions but this is not changing the fact that we again struggled to creat enough. Tatarusanu kept us alive. Could've lost 5-1.
Bologna - softly said not impressive. Needed 2 penalties to win against the worst Bologna side in the last years. In the final minutes fucked up and could've dropped points.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything bad about the team or Pioli, but it is a fact that we've been grinding wins this year with a loooooot of effort against shit teams and lost literally every derby - goal difference 2-8. Before that the same torment against Sassuolo and Lazio again with many things going our way (unprecedented 7th second goal + last second winner). Before that 2 draws against 2 of the worst teams in the league with Donna saving our ass in the last minute against Genoa. This is a total of 12 games in which we did not see the usual performance. Managed to get a lot of points but if we do not change the way we play we will start dropping points sooner or later.
I know that many players were missing and Pioli had to get creative to fill the holes, but still, if we are really going for the Scudetto we should improve our performance.
Another thing that bothers me is that the team looked dead physically. I know we played 3 games extra but that was in September ffs. Now we have 8 days of rest before Crotone. And only Kjaer will be missing. Zero excuses to not smash them comfortably with dominating performance.

Ugly wins are necessary
If there's someone who could tell the tale of how to survive and win in this high pressure schedule is no other than Maldini. And Milan is very lucky to have him right now, more than ever.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
That's crazy. No one player is worth that much money, especially when you're winning shit.

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score

Good post, only disagree on Juventus partly. I think we were just as good as them in the first half. To be honest, the games in the weeks before benevento were already far from brilliant. In Sampdoria we also had a last 15-20 lucky minutes in a rather unimpressive game. After that we got dominated by lazio and sassuolo. This has been going on for longer than a few weeks already.

This team really needs to be on full strength to start dominating again like last season. The injuries definitely play a role in this, but I'm not very confident of Pioli anymore

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Yes, let's blame Pioli and lose confidence in him that our bench isn't up to strength of our key starting players when we've been hit with injury after injury after covid. Smart!

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You guys see the news on Messi's contract?
No wonder Barca is broke and in the verge of bankruptcy

[@FabrizioRomano
El Mundo today, what a bomb. Leo Messi?s contract with Barcelona revealed on front page Red circleDown pointing backhand index
@elmundoes

- ?555,237,619 contract [4 years].

- ?138m per season fixed + variables.

- ?115,225,000 as ?renewal fee? just for accepting the contract.

- ?77,929,955 loyalty bonus.

This cant be right.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score

[@FabrizioRomano
El Mundo today, what a bomb. Leo Messi?s contract with Barcelona revealed on front page Red circleDown pointing backhand index
@elmundoes

so this is today wages for top players??
images

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Tomori was 28M, right? Add 12M and take Bakayoko too (1 year contract). Send Meite and Krunic to Serie B. Thauvin & Amavi for free. Dalot back. Diaz extend loan. Also add Roback to the first team.

milanazkals

Basketball player
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Van Bommel, Donnarumma, Alaba, Grealish
Hakan, Bennacer and Kessie as our midfield trio again soon. I?m confident of our scudetto run. Milan is a completely different team with those 3 in the field. They?ve got calmness when in possession which we completely lacks right now. Our games has been subpar because of clumsiness in the midfield. No control and reactive.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Is Kjaer out for long?

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score

every game is different story but true is we are not impressive like we were.
bold part is funny to read... no comment
example - tonali was bad in 2men midfield, he started to play better same time benna was out for 1,5 month so tonali plays all the games. question is how you want to dominate anyone with tonali-kessie playing all the time without serious rotation when other team use 4-5 changes??
other example - attack against juve: hauge-leao-samu and only sub is diaz :lol:
from our games only real terrible performance was atalanta - games against juve and inter went as it was expected (against juve shit squad, against inter after red it was end because of weak available subs)

point is pioli wants to play attacking football and press opponents for most of the time and its not possible with so many injuries (no subs, lower quality and more chaos because of lacking stability in any formation -attack/mid/defense).
injuries- except chaos- force more minutes of other players and also drain mental side of our players (weaker players mean regular starters need to give more). if you play with kalulu you expect some mistakes and you remember you need to cover his side more, etc.
and then kessie is out and you use calabria there and its game after the game for this season. theo trying to much way too often but for some time we didnt really have much quality in attack so we rely more on his runs...
point is pioli could/should play more compact with less open space in defense but for some reason he doesnt - maybe he prefers and our players prefer to play like this.
no we will see how we gonna play when we wont miss so many players.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let's also consider that during our tremendous post Covid run we had barely injuries or missing players. That's key. If we can come back to have most of our starters fit I'm sure we'll hit form soon enough again.

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score

[@FabrizioRomano
@elmundoes

That's what happens when a player becomes bigger than the club. Poor Barca.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
You guys mentioning how we are performing badly because of injuries.. So someone explain me how we could perform that good against juve with Calabria in midfield?

We need to step up Asap before its too late.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
So according to The Sun we're trying to secure Dalot for 17m.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
So according to The Sun we're trying to secure Dalot for 17m.

I don't think so.

Really unlikely we pay that much with Dalot especially with all the options we have to trigger this summer.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I don't think so.

Really unlikely we pay that much with Dalot especially with all the options we have to trigger this summer.

Well that depends on how the Tomori deal is done, for example. If it's spread out over three years we're not taking as big a hit.

I think we are looking to redeem Dalot, Tomori, Tonali of course and maybe even Diaz. Not sure about Meite. We will finance this with our participation in the Champions League.

Bosman deals and more loans this summer and on we go.

R.Akbar

Allenatore
Reaction score
A player.. thats messi

Messi is still "a Player"
Ronaldo wasn't bigger than Real despite all of those flashy titles. Real sold him at a small profit.

There was one player who is bigger than the club: it's Maradona and Napoli, but Maradona did not make Napoli anywhere near Bankruptcy.

Messi is great and one of the best footballer ever, but idk whether 500M+++ is a wise deal or not

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
Milan needs to start thinking diferently mercato wise. We dont need vice kessie, Tonali will play, we lack vice-Bennacer! A playmaker, anti pressing guy.

Tomori, lb reserve, vice Benna, Diaz new loan, free Thauvin, add 5th cb and Pobega.

Sell Laxalt, Samu, Krunic. Return Meite.

Ready for the CL imo.

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
Well that depends on how the Tomori deal is done, for example. If it's spread out over three years we're not taking as big a hit.

I think we are looking to redeem Dalot, Tomori, Tonali of course and maybe even Diaz. Not sure about Meite. We will finance this with our participation in the Champions League.

Tomori has been here 2 mins and you already feel he must be redeemed?

Dalot is easly replaced and the Tonali deal is already done for better or worse.

Always evaluate players at the season's end.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomori has been here 2 mins and you already feel he must be redeemed?

Dalot is easly replaced and the Tonali deal is already done for better or worse.

Always evaluate players at the season's end.

I'm well aware these deals make it possible to hold off on evaluation, but I think it's also just a manner of doing business because we have to bet on future success. Sporting success this summer will make possible redeeming our loanees, if they're being gelled with the team, have huge upside and do their part I'd much rather continue with them than taking a chance on new loanees.

I'm a bigger fan of having Dalot than most here. There is a very good player in there imo.

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kalalu seems better than Dalot for RB. And for backup LB they can buy a real LB. What's the point of buying Dalot unless he's available super cheap?

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
how much more income barca generated per year thanks to messi in the last 10 years??

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You guys mentioning how we are performing badly because of injuries.. So someone explain me how we could perform that good against juve with Calabria in midfield?

We need to step up Asap before its too late.
Lately, yes. But I wouldn't even or have ever used the word bad. Only less brilliant or less fresh than a couple of weeks ago. Which to me is directly attributed to playing so many games over so many time with so much missing players. You can drag along for a while, but sooner or later fatigue will kick in.

The Juve game was the game our injury crisis probably was at its peak as we didn't only miss half our starters but also their natural substitute. Nevertheless we only crumbled the very moment they brought fresh quality from their bench. We hadn't that possibility because we kinda had our 2nd and 3rd string players already starting, leaving a bunch or Primavera players on the bench.

As a matter of fact for the first time ever many experts after that game started to give our depth some credit as they acknowledged how equal we were playing for 60 minutes although being totally dismantled. I remember Del Piero saying how he's been far more impressed with Milans display than with Juves although we didn't win. That's quite telling.

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
I'm well aware these deals make it possible to hold off on evaluation, but I think it's also just a manner of doing business because we have to bet on future success. Sporting success this summer will make possible redeeming our loanees, if they're being gelled with the team, have huge upside and do their part I'd much rather continue with them than taking a chance on new loanees.

I'm a bigger fan of having Dalot than most here. There is a very good player in there imo.

In regards to Tomori. He's the same player as Fofana, Simakan ect. Quick athletic and always competitve 1 on 1. That's the characteristics that have been missing at CB for soo long(glaring) management specifically look at all the variables when drawing up their list of targets. Much easier to gel players that fit the exact needs. Unlike the square peg in a roundhole approach we had to suffer.

Milan being top of the table in Feb with the Scudetto now a real possibility. That would be serious sporting success from where we've come from over the past 7 seasons.

Hard to believe Dalot and Diaz have done enough to convince so far. Lets see how Tomori looks over the next few months.

UCL will be a real learning experience for this team. We're on the right track. That's what matters most.

Rhat

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

We are talking about a 100M mercato with all these redeemed players. I really doubt we do this.

I think we will look for a cheaper LB and another 10 instead of Diaz if Hakan does not renew.

If Tomori is consistent might be redeemed, Tonali is a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule