The Rumour Commode XXXIV: From Mandela to Mugabe

Do you owe a jersey from other club/s?

• Yes, from a tier 1 club (man u, chelsea, bayern, barca, etc)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Yes, from a tier 2 club (leicester, leipzig, roma, sevilla)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Yes, from a tier 3 club (midtable/lower rank club)

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • I am da Milan and da Milan only

Votes: 77 83.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not really sure it was a 433, seemed like Bennacer moved up to the AM position and both Kessie and Bakayoko stayed back. Maybe I didn't see it, but a 433 does seem like an interesting option for us to play naturally wider. Atletico defend very narrow so just ceding the middle and playing with lots of overloads out wide would have been a good strategy.
As I'm sure you know that whole point of Pioli's style, which he is really adapting from Man City, is to shift players from outside of their "normal" pattern of play, and so when the full-backs push central, the central mid move to cover that space, the confusion for teams that are going to sit, try and play their zones, will be confused. Messias pushes central for the header, Ibra goes wide to the back post on the Kessie's cross, and that really shocked Atletico's CBs.

I saw our shape like so:

-----------GK
-Flo--Kjaer-Roma---Theo
----------Baka
---Bennacer---Kessie
-Messias---Ibra---Alexis

But it was constantly changing shape, though, and Bakayoko served as a sort of safety valve when Theo and Kessie would join forward, Bennacer interchanging between him and Kessie as to who would be the buffer while Messias, Alexis, Ibra, and Theo did their thing, we weren't really playing our normal asymmetric 4231, it was a different look.

DonSilvio

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva
The only bad thing from last night is Giroud injury.

Holy shit, now we have only 40yo Ibra and broken Pellegri for the next 7 games.
In this Milan, anyone Pioli throws into the mix with enough playing time will perform. I'd like to see Pellegri play from the start for once. Baka has been an exception thus far but still.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
As I'm sure you know that whole point of Pioli's style, which he is really adapting from Man City, is to shift players from outside of their "normal" pattern of play, and so when the full-backs push central, the central mid move to cover that space, the confusion for teams that are going to sit, try and play their zones, will be confused. Messias pushes central for the header, Ibra goes wide to the back post on the Kessie's cross, and that really shocked Atletico's CBs.

I saw our shape like so:

-----------GK
-Flo--Kjaer-Roma---Theo
----------Baka
---Bennacer---Kessie
-Messias---Ibra---Alexis

But it was constantly changing shape, though, and Bakayoko served as a sort of safety valve when Theo and Kessie would join forward, Bennacer interchanging between him and Kessie as to who would be the buffer while Messias, Alexis, Ibra, and Theo did their thing, we weren't really playing our normal asymmetric 4231, it was a different look.
I did see Bakayoko stay central and sit in front of the defense when we had possession, that was clear, and Kessie had much more freedom to push forward, so in possession we were sort of like how you described. Once we have the ball and we break a press, the positions on the field pretty much evaporate and there's lots of positional interchanges. You can see this very clearly with how the fullbacks underlap, and Saelemaekers drifts almost to the other side, Rafa drops way back to collect the ball at the LB zone, Brahim dropping deep and wide to collect the ball in space, Ibra dropping back and pulling defenders out of shape.... There's so much happening and it seems almost chaotic at times but it's very practiced. Everyone knows when they need to move and where to go and to make sure there's no overlap. I'm sure they're practicing the way Guardiola does it, to make sure there's players in each zone and for there not to be any unnecessary overlapping, meaning there's always an option somewhere for a penetrating pass.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
In this Milan, anyone Pioli throws into the mix with enough playing time will perform. I'd like to see Pellegri play from the start for once. Baka has been an exception thus far but still.
the man i wanted to see play and do well (like many Milan fan) was Messias.
Now Pellegri is the other.
I’m convinced that, if he stays healthy, his Milan story doesn’t end this season.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
“When you manage to create a team identity, it means that you have foundations that are unlikely to collapse. There will always be negative or positive moments, but when you gave the team an idea about being on the pitch, clear concepts and a soul – because football is not just playing well from a technical-tactical point of view but emotion and feeling that transports between the players, it is having a common goal that makes you put aside personal needs for the team – and you realise that you have succeeded, the coach realises that his work is much easier,” Pioli.

Pioli seems to be tailor-made for our team, it's truly funny how things work out in sport. Players who you thought were finished become lions (Kjaer), kids who you wanted to give up on show they're more than talent (Calabria, Tonali, Leao), while a team spirit means that everyone contributes even when you least expect it (Messias, Samu, Tata, Krunic).

This is a great team. I really hope they win something. I dream of a run to the final and a win in the CL, who knows, lol. The Scudetto will depend on our spirit and if we can recover enough players from injuries. But this team is special.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I mean i'm sure Pioli is doing stuff like this. The way we play is very clearly inspired by Guardiola.

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
I just pray to football gods we keep it going untill winter break without new injuries. And then Elliot says ok for 1-2 players in mercato. Specifically Alvarez and maybe even bringing Adli back.

Coz scudetto is possible, and for this young team it would mean a lot

Rossonero81

The Little Red Rooster
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giusy Meloni
Guys, all you need to know right now is that we have one of the youngest team in the whole of Europe. We are already a menace to most clubs, but we will become one of the most dangerous teams in the world for years to come. Once more our red will be like fire, and the black will invoke fear into our opponents. Players and agents will beg us to sign them. Companies will line-up to be our sponsors. Coaches all around the world will praise Pioli. Kids will dream about becoming a star here. We will conquer Europe again and again. Forza Milan.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
3230110-66119468-2560-1440.jpg

Less than two years ago.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
You cant be serious
you haven't talented players that have achieved nothing? Remember Adel Taarabt? Guy had 5x more talent than Lmeao

Or Menez... not really wasted, but unfulfilled to his max potential

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
people who get their thrill from "winning the mercato" need to prepare for disappointment.
reality is, we don't need much.

our progress will be through the growth of seeds that are already planted.

in addition to the Adli deal, we'll probably redeem 1 or 2 of the 1 year Loan players ... hopefully Faivre Train is still on track + a Tomori type CB (Adli/Faivre status/price level).

The CF situation, when you look at it calmly, there is no urgency at all.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
people who get their thrill from "winning the mercato" need to prepare for disappointment.
reality is, we don't need much.

our progress will be through the growth of seeds that are already planted.

in addition to the Adli deal, we'll probably redeem 1 or 2 of the 1 year Loan players ... hopefully Faivre Train is still on track + a Tomori type CB (Adli/Faivre status/price level).

The CF situation, when you look at it calmly, there is no urgency at all.
We definitely needed the summer mercato to fix the bench. Our 11 was mostly done, maybe an upgrade at RW, and we weren't really sure how good Brahim would do at AM, but besides those two everything else was set. Our problem was with the rest of the squad. We had no LB backup, no vice-Ibra, and we were very thin in a lot of positions. We had to deal with Hakan and Donnarumma leaving. It wasn't an easy summer, we took a lot of risks and the squad is looking like it's been very well built. They weren't flashy signings but so far they're all playing their roles. It's probably time for Pellegri now to show his worth, he has a big opportunity with both Rebic and Giroud out. Other than that I think almost everyone else that was brought in has done well and is getting better. Bakayoko for example is improving and I have a feeling we're going to see the old monstrous Milan version pretty soon.

Edit: Just realized you meant next mercato. I disagree I think we do have a problem at CF. What this season has taught us is that we play much better with a mobile pressing forward. Ibra is unique, but we play really well with someone that can move like Rebic. He's not that good at most of the stuff you want your forward to do, but we just looked so fucking scary in transition. I can imagine us playing much better with a more well rounded attacker that can still do the frightening things Rebic does, that Ibra can't and Giroud definitely can't.

As for the rest of the squad we need to deal with Kessie of course, and a CB that can allow us to keep playing high without Tomori and of course Belotti.

I'm liking the experiment of playing Saelaemaekers at LW. I was worried we didn't have a third option there and will have to continue playing Krunic, but with Messias being available at RW we can afford to push Saelemaekers to the left in an emergency. If we get Faivre in the winter window (I doubt it) then we'll have even more options to rotate those wing positions and won't have to suffer through forcing Leao to play all the time.

We play a lot and we play intensely. We need to start getting in the habit of constant squad rotation. Our injuries are forcing too many players to play beyond their limits. The next window should address this problem.

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I mean i'm sure Pioli is doing stuff like this. The way we play is very clearly inspired by Guardiola.

1637865717541.png
I mean, just look at this list and tell me it doesn't describe the way we play almost perfectly.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
you haven't talented players that have achieved nothing? Remember Adel Taarabt? Guy had 5x more talent than Lmeao

Or Menez... not really wasted, but unfulfilled to his max potential
Dude you are the same one who hates on leao despite him being one of the best performers this seaosn.
You are in no position to tell someone who they shouldn't hate on

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Dude you are the same one who hates on leao despite him being one of the best performers this seaosn.
I don't hate him, I just think he's a bit lazy and massively overrated and criticize him more to bring balance on the forum and a bit to troll :D

I think it's fair to criticize someone for lack of effort vs for what nature has given them, that is not under their control.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't hate him, I just think he's a bit lazy and massively overrated and criticize him more to bring balance on the forum and a bit to troll :D

I think it's fair to criticize someone for lack of effort vs for what nature has given them, that is not under their control.
this would have been a fair criticism last year. Not this season.

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'd take 10 Krunics who follow a coach's tactics over a player like Leao - Ronin probably

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score

Messias-goal and hunt for the ticket for Milan-Liverpool! San Siro towards the sold out in the next 3 matches​

are we the most successful, handsome, decorated, commited, classy, victorious club in the world?
probably

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
this would have been a fair criticism last year. Not this season.
Well I have barely criticized him this season and even praised after a couple of games. Talent wise, I think he's still over-rated on this forum

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Rangnick never coached a big team yet he’s apparently Hes top class

Cant wait to see what he does

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'd take 10 Krunics who follow a coach's tactics over a player like Leao - Ronin probably
If you'll look at our current starting XI, most of them are more like Krunic than Leao, players who have gotten here through hard work... Kjaer, Calabria, Kessie, Salad, Rebic, etc.

papaberlu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If you'll look at our current starting XI, most of them are more like Krunic than Leao, players who have gotten here through hard work... Kjaer, Calabria, Kessie, Salad, Rebic, etc.
Everyone and anyone who reaches top flight football is a hard worker

At the very minimum

Swagotelli

Supah Leagah!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Nesta, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Maldini, Gattuso
Massimo Oddo, who spoke to Milan TV, recalled a nice episode that took place on the evening when Milan won the Scudetto in Rome in 2011: "I even got a few bad words (laughs, ed). But I was lucky enough to win, I arrived in the great Milan and left in 2011 with the victory of the Scudetto, I have not experienced problems like those of recent years. I have never had problems. As soon as I won the championship I made a bet with Galliani, if I had covered the 400 meters of track around the Olimpico in less than a minute he would have renewed my contract. I managed to run under one minute, but the contract didn't make it to me (laughs, ed) ".
:g:

Edit: had to dig for a bit but found it

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
You are in no position to be on a Milan forum, but here we are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule