Analytics, Statistics and football

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
European rankings all time means shit :o(since we got trophies)

http://jfoot.perso.neuf.fr/foot/data/archive/uefaallt2013.html

And its a knock out tournament with two legs and away goal :thumbsup: so its not the true story still its fasicnating to see how many games other teams have won :eek:

Serie a its not a surprise , the table almost shows who has been more dominant

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/italalltime.html

All the domestic results of all clubs
http://www.rsssf.com/histdom.html

some kind of European ranking system
http://foot.faugeras.net/?show=data/UC.html

European rankings and other results
http://www.rsssf.com/intclub.html#eur

http://www.rsssf.com/ec/ecomp.html

These dudes have compiled a lo of data reminds me of Giazzikas excel sheet he send me couple of years ago on milan victories all over his fan carreer :thumbsup:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
four important advanced soccer stats concepts
1. Total Shots Ratio
What is it? The measure of a team’s ability to take more shots than their opponents on a consistent basis.

2. PDO
What is it? A team’s shot percentage plus its save percentage. It varies quite a bit over a short period of time, which means it’s a good way to measure a team’s relative fortune/misfortune.

3. ExpG
What is it? Expected Goals. This is usually someone’s secret formula in calculating the number of goals a player or team was ‘expected’ to score based on league averages (hopefully with a nice big fat sample) isolating for shot location, shot type, body to goal frame data, distance, whatever.

4. Game States
What is it? Basically a specific set of effects on how team’s behave when tied, a goal ahead, a goal behind, etc.

These dudes are good esp the first one.

Analytic guys whom you should follow

I cant bother to bookmark all the shit I see, so compiling it in here. /cool

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tv Experts vs Staticians :o

BhamYA2CIAAZMm3.png:large

well this chart was created by a statistician i guess

the james grayson dude is good (for EPL) he is an atmospheric scientist so these data is nothing for him, he cruch data every week on his blog and put his fav total shot ratio every week.

http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/

About manchester united and TSR
http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/...n-outlier-has-manchester-uniteds-season-been/

other stat shit
http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/...advanced-stats-regress-to-their-final-values/

Bham5NPCQAAdmlv.png:large

http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/...-4th-and-17th-in-the-premiership-this-season/

strtsrgoals.png

shhsvpdo.png
So without further delay; shots, shots on target, and goals. Taking goals ratio as an example, the idea of these plots is to find the correlation between a teams goals ratio after x games and the same teams goal ratio at the end of the season. The more predictive power a metric has, the faster it will trend towards an R2 of 1. Each dot on these plots represents a sample size of 240 (20 teams for 12 seasons):

no sample size issue here

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
List of stat resources, FUCK IT I cant copy each link, its manure forum

useful-statistics-and-tactics-resources

Stat Resources

WhoScored.com - Database of Opta stats from all major leagues. No in depth match stats/detail but more info then you will usually find collected into one place.

Guardian Chalkboards - Limited Opta match data from all Premier League matches. Note that when you load a match and choose the event you want to look at (shots, passes etc), by clicking on the different options it filters them into more refined groups. E.g. if you choose Tackles from the drop down menu then click on Won it splits them up into Aerial, Ground and Take On (which means Dribbles fwiw). You can also move the slider on the bottom to examine only certain time ranges. This is particularly useful when collecting data on a player's passes. Instead of having to count the number of short/long or forward/backward passes all at once you can take them in 5-10 minute blocks to make it easier. Apparently you now have to sign in to access the Chalkboards.

UEFA CL/EL Press Kits - includes in depth info on CL and EL matches in downloadable .pdf format. The average player position/formation and the player passing distribution ones are particularly interesting.

Telegraph PL Stats - Limited stats on PL teams, players and referees. You can also click on a team's name to go to the team specific page then click Team X Statistics on the right hand side for more specific data on that team's players.

Bundesliga Official Site - In depth Opta data on every Bundesliga match and player. For some reason the Bundesliga has an agreement with Opta that allows them to release all this wonderful Opta data free for everyone. The site is in German and English but if you go through the English language site you can't access the spielmatrices where all the best stuff is. To access click Bundesliga at the top -> Spieltag & Spielplan, then click on the match day and the match. Under Analyse you can find a lot of match data as well as a graph charting the players' average locations as the match went on, but Matrix is what you really want. When you open up a spielmatrix you choose a player or players from the left hand side and then filter the stats on the right. It's in German but not hard to figure out using Google Translate. For example just by clicking the Leverkusen/HSV match and choosing Arturo Vidal I can see he had 51 successful passes, 6 headers, 5 unsuccessful crosses, 1 shot off target, 7 successful tackles etc etc.

French League Site - has some limited data in the pop-up box at the bottom of the screen. You can use Google Translate to figure out what all the stuff means. The dropdown menus at the top let you filter the data by matchday, team and player, home and away, by season and by specific clubs.

Marca.com Match Stats - has some limited match data. Click through the matches to get to the data.

Sports Illustrated data - has limited data on many leagues, I linked the Premier League stuff but navigating to the other leagues isn't hard. At the top of the page go to Soccer -> Leagues -> choose league, then at that page above it click Player Leaders then click Other Stats where appropriate. I use this mostly for goalkeeper data since they have info on saves, penalties saved/faced, goals allowed average, save% and shots on target faced that I can't find elsewhere.

MLS Opta Data - apparently the MLS has come to similar agreement with Opta as the Bundesliga has and will have in depth Opta data on their site available to the public. I have never used it so I don't know where to find it/if it exists but if it's there it can't be that hard to find.

Football-Data.co.uk - Downloadable historical match data from all top leagues. Very useful if you are trying to create models on how shots or corners or fouls etc influence goals or other factors. Looking at bigger picture stuff I mean. Also has historical betting data.

ESPN Soccernet GameCasts - they have GameCasts for all PL/CL matches, showing stuff like average position, heatmaps etc.

RSSSF - huge source of historical data. Results, no specific match data.

OptaJoe Twitter - from there you can also access all the other Opta Twitter accounts. They post random stats on a daily basis. More trivia then actually useful stuff.

Football-Lineups.com - extremely useful wiki-based lineup database.

Soccerway.com - comprehensive results database

Stat Blogs

StatDNA Blog - Opta-like company who use their database to analyse football. Includes some Brazilian Serie A stuff.

Soccermetrics - very good soccermetrics blog. Can be quite technical at times.

Soccer By The Numbers - more accessible soccermetrics blog written by a Cornell professor. Updated frequently, always worth reading.

Soccer Analysts - your one stop shop for soccermetric analysis. Acts as a collective soccer analysis blog where several different blogs (included the three mentioned above) are updated. Basically just bookmark this blog and you will get the updates from all the relevant blogs.

Analytical Football - No longer updated but includes a lot of valuable stuff in the archives like the goal differential/league points articles.

A Beautiful Numbers Game - football analysis from a stats and economics perspective, occasionally Arsenal-specific

Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports - Academic journal, has lots of good stuff hidden in the archives. They say you need a subscription to access the articles but I just put in a fake email address and was able to download everything I wanted.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Video on how they collect stats , so elaborate, would love to get my hands on those datasets, even pay for it

jesus so detailed, right foot, how many bounce, intentional assist, location :eek:

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
The Adolescence of Soccer Stats

Total Shots Ratio(TSR) and expected goals(ExG) look to be something worth checking. Here (Ashish has possibly linked it already)

Could a mod add "statistics" to the thread title?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Loving the stats. Ashish stat lord lol.

Schedule