Monza - Milan : 18.02.2024 | 20:45 CET | Week 25 Serie A

ACM14061988

SAPL Winner
Reaction score
I dont get it, you make a comeback with 10 men, 2-2. And then give it all away again:conf:

Shouldve just go for the draw and defend the 2-2
Probably but 2-2 or 4-2 nothing changes in the standing, we needed to win to chase Inter. Our CL qualification is not in doubt even with this loss

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
pathetic-nolan-grayson.gif

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Gullit, Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Romario
Our game plan is like this, when Leão and Theo can't resolve the match, Pioli is there to messed up. :sip:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Thiaw was never a Nesta. He is more like a Bonucci, if he could actually defend.
:lol::lol:

You missed the part about Thiaw continuing from where he left off before the injury.
This wasn't a rusty, atypical comeback performance.
His decision-making has always been questionable.
But normally there's Tomori to rescue him.

"Trash" was probably a bit too harsh though.
He's only 22 after all, and barely had any top flight experience prior to Milan.
People got so excited by his good start, they forgot he was still an inexperienced unpredictable kid.
Kalulu is a victim of the same thing.

Gabbia has experienced a similar roller coaster ride as well.
There was a point in 2020 where Kjaer-Gabbia looked like our best CB pairing, and posters here were furious that Romagnoli didn't need to re-earn his spot after recovering from a long injury spell.
Then Tomori arrived and Kjaer got injured. Suddenly, Gabbia looked like an insecure lost boy without the guidance and moral support of his mentor Kjaer. He seemed completely out of place in a Milan side that had exciting young defenders like Thiaw, Kalulu and Tomori.
Rejected, he's sent to Villareal where he finds another mentor in Albiol. Then he returns to a Milan where his old mentor Kjaer is the only other available CB, and suddenly Gabbia looks okayish again whereas Thiaw looks like he doesn't belong in an ambitious team. Kalulu's free fall started around this time last year and I'm not optimistic about his comeback performances either.

My point? Thiaw, Gabbia, Kalulu....none of them are reliable as starters. We need one or two more experienced CBs since Kjaer is nearly done. Our youngsters would benefit from it as well.

ACM14061988

SAPL Winner
Reaction score
Thiaw is just too slow and too reckless for our system, definitely not trash you put him at Inter and make him play with 3 CB and 5 midfielders and he shines but not a good fit for us, our best football was when Tomori and Kalulu were healthy and we let them play 1 vs 1 in that beautiful run that gave us the Scudetto

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I dont get it, you make a comeback with 10 men, 2-2. And then give it all away again:conf:

Shouldve just go for the draw and defend the 2-2
We were playing 3 at the back at that point but with Leao and Pulisic as the wing backs. Maldini got the ball in acres of space. It was a huge tactical mistake, we should have reverted to a 441 right after the goal.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Probably but 2-2 or 4-2 nothing changes in the standing, we needed to win to chase Inter. Our CL qualification is not in doubt even with this loss
January 2023 wasn’t that far back. Don’t dare Pioli to give us a run that brings us into the dogfight again.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

You missed the part about Thiaw continuing from where he left off before the injury.

He's only 22 after all, and barely had any top flight experience prior to Milan.
People got so excited by his good start, they forgot he was still an inexperienced unpredictable kid.

There was a point in 2020 where Kjaer-Gabbia looked like our best CB pairing, and posters here were furious that Romagnoli didn't need to re-earn his spot after recovering from a long injury spell.
Then Tomori arrived and Kjaer got injured. Suddenly, Gabbia looked like an insecure lost boy without the guidance and moral support of his mentor Kjaer. He seemed completely out of place in a Milan side that had exciting young defenders like Thiaw, Kalulu and Tomori.
Rejected, he's sent to Villareal where he finds another mentor in Albiol. Then he returns to a Milan where his old mentor Kjaer is the only other available CB, and suddenly Gabbia looks okayish again whereas Thiaw looks like he doesn't belong in an ambitious team. Kalulu's free fall started around this time last year and I'm not optimistic about his comeback performances either.

My point? Thiaw, Gabbia, Kalulu....none of them are reliable as starters. We need one or two more experienced CBs since Kjaer is nearly done. Our youngsters would benefit from it as well.
If only the bald could see through Thiaw's flaw as well as you do.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score

What is so funny about Thiaw = Bonucci?
They are both slow, ball playing defenders with excellent ball distribution attributes.
The only difference would be that Thiaw has much better defensive capabilities, as opposed to Bonucci's complete lack of, other than his famous "ass tackle" move of course.

Thiaw is "exposed" because he is forced to play with a ridiculously high backline, which neither he, nor any of our other defenders, are capable of playing in.

Romagnoli was sold because he couldn't adapt to that high backline.
Gabbia looks like "an insecure lost boy" for the same reason.
Kalulu, Kjaer, Pellegrino, everyone looks lost and out of place.

Out of all of our defenders, Tomori is the only one that fits bioli's "system" because unless you have 90+ for speed and stamina, while also being excellent in 1v1, you're destined to fail and have everyone go "sElL!!11!!" after every unavoidable fuckup.

Even Tomori, one of maybe 3-4 players in all of football capable of playing in bioli's high backline, was eventually (physically) broken by this stupid system.

Instead of pointing fingers at the individuals, maybe the problem lies in your precious padre's tactics.

But then again... I shouldn't expect much from someone who doesn't watch Milan games anymore. You're opinion has as much credibility as your precious padre's coaching skills.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If only the bald could see through Thiaw's flaw as well as you do.
Oh I'm pretty sure he hasn't been impressed by Thiaw's performances this season either.
Last season he was even being criticized for not introducing Thiaw quicker since Thiaw was clearly the real deal and not some inexperienced, unreliable kid that needed to be slowly introduced into the team.
Well, guess what...even this was too much, too soon.
He went from permanent bench warmer to starter, bypassing the sub phase, since Kjaer can't stay fit and Kalulu fell into oblivion.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Who would be your pick?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What is so funny about Thiaw = Bonucci?
They are both slow, ball playing defenders with excellent ball distribution attributes.
The only difference would be that Thiaw has much better defensive capabilities, as opposed to Bonucci's complete lack of, other than his famous "ass tackle" move of course.
:lol:

Thiaw is "exposed" because he is forced to play with a ridiculously high backline, which neither he, nor any of our other defenders, are capable of playing in.

Romagnoli was sold because he couldn't adapt to that high backline.
Gabbia looks like "an insecure lost boy" for the same reason.
Kalulu, Kjaer, Pellegrino, everyone looks lost and out of place.

Out of all of our defenders, Tomori is the only one that fits bioli's "system" because unless you have 90+ for speed and stamina, while also being excellent in 1v1, you're destined to fail and have everyone go "sElL!!11!!" after every unavoidable fuckup.

Even Tomori, one of maybe 3-4 players in all of football capable of playing in bioli's high backline, was eventually (physically) broken by this stupid system.

Instead of pointing fingers at the individuals, maybe the problem lies in your precious padre's tactics.
Yeah, that's the thing..
Thiaw might have lack of pace in common with Romagnoli, but not the positional awareness or sound judgment.
He's not some slow defender whose downfall is lack of pace.
You're making him out to be some Diego Godin who is ideal for deep defending, but just not fit for a high backline.
But when I look back at all his errors, I don't see a defender being burned by pace. I see a defender being fooled, turned inside out by far wiser opponents, losing sight of where the rest of the defenders are, etc.
That's a young CB struggling with the basics.

Would Thiaw look less bad if he was protected more, exposed less?
Sure, but that's not an excuse for his flaws.

But then again... I shouldn't expect much from someone who doesn't watch Milan games anymore. You're opinion has as much credibility as your precious padre's coaching skills.
The only time I missed (parts of) a Milan game was when you didn't bother tuning in since your precious Jube wasn't playing.:o

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Who would be your pick?
Not sure.
But I don't except or necessarily want the club to shell out a huge sum for an experienced CB with low resale value.
I'd love another Kjaer type of deal. An underrated experienced CB available on loan.
We got Kjaer because of Massara's experiences with him. Moncada has worked with a lot of CBs through the years. I'm sure there's a wisened French former wonderkid rotting in a provincial team somewhere. Preferably one with Serie A experience.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
We got Kjaer because of Massara's experiences with him. Moncada has worked with a lot of CBs through the years. I'm sure there's a wisened French former wonderkid rotting in a provincial team somewhere. Preferably one with Serie A experience.
The Kjær deal is basically unique. Very undervalued and underappreciated, but very experienced and able national team captain CB.

I think your description fits someone who wouldn't have big impact. I think we need players with experience winning titles, and being part of winning teams.

Despite his looks, what about Matip?

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Savićevićic, Baresi, Rikjaard, Pippo, Desailly
We were playing 3 at the back at that point but with Leao and Pulisic as the wing backs. Maldini got the ball in acres of space. It was a huge tactical mistake, we should have reverted to a 441 right after the goal.
Coming back to 2-2 was a great achievement by the players, more so two great passages of play and individual skill to convert.

Then Pioli went full r3t4rd and we played 3atb with no wingbacks to offer cover and we lost 4-2... That's ENTIRELY on Pioli.

I was watching thinking what the actual fuck...

Losing 3-1 or winning 2-3 seemed the options but honestly, I was fucking happy with a draw with 10 men. Live to fight another day and all that.

Now the team face another inquisition into our failings. Players are under another microscope and we face another important week in our season.

Get the 1pt and draw and move on... Now we're talking about needing a "reaction", again

Nothings is easy or steady with this fucking circus of a team at times lol.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The Kjær deal is basically unique. Very undervalued and underappreciated, but very experienced and able national team captain CB.

I think your description fits someone who wouldn't have big impact. I think we need players with experience winning titles, and being part of winning teams.

Despite his looks, what about Matip?

Yeah, the "rotting in a provincial club" part didn't sound promising, lol.
But you get the drift. An experienced defender who is good enough to start and mature enough to nurture our younger ones.

Matip? Damn, he's 32? I still view him as that up and coming kid from Schalke. Haven't really followed his trajectory at Liverpool although I've seen him play a few times, but I'm sure he would be an upgrade to what we have now to partner Tomori.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Thiaw is just too slow and too reckless for our system, definitely not trash you put him at Inter and make him play with 3 CB and 5 midfielders and he shines but not a good fit for us, our best football was when Tomori and Kalulu were healthy and we let them play 1 vs 1 in that beautiful run that gave us the Scudetto

Thiaw is fast for a CB, he is not Tomori but Tomori is not fast for a CB, he is fast compared to all positions.
Thiaw just needs to get better at defending, and again he played 2nd German League 1,5 years ago. Give him 2 years of development and if successful he will be a different player and still a young CB at 24.

Schedule