Oddo to Milan: Good or Bad

Marco Azzuri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Source: Football Italia

Massimo Oddo is the latest right-back to be paired with a summer move to Italian champions Milan.

The Rossoneri are looking for a valid alternative to Marcos Cafu, 34, for the new season and the Italian is a real possibility.

Lazio are still trying to resolve their debt problems and reports suggest Oddo will be sacrificed at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old, an Italian international, is rather similar in style to Cafu given his offensive nature.

That similarity suggests that Oddo would be more welcomed by boss Carlo Ancelotti rather than the also linked Giandomenico Mesto (Reggina), Marco Cassetti (Lecce) and Daniele Bonera (Parma).

Oddo, who was brought up through the Milan youth ranks, has also been associated with Inter and Juventus.

The former Verona player and penalty expert will be allowed to leave the Italian capital for a reported £3.6m.

Hey this is awesome, Oddo is a great player! But I see two big problems with him coming to Milan.

1.) At 29 years old he is no spring chicken and although he is a great player now how long can we expect him to last?
2.) Cafu is still going strong and I have never seen Oddo at any other position, this means he will probably sit on the bench. DO you guys think we can turn him into a versatile player like Serhgino?

Still at 3.6 mill only, that may well be worth the gamble.

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
If he comes for 3.6 milion I dont have problem to see him coming at us .. I just understood that he is right back not left back .. so I think we need good warm bencher for Cafu ..

grande_sheva7

Nesta's calm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo, Fanta Sheva, Pippo mio, Pirletto, Pato, Sandro Nesta, Willy Wonka
its FANTASTIC....im a huge oddo fan...wen eve ri watch lazio he is there best player everytime...he is one of the players milan would really need in the defence...he has the same attacking ability as cafu but wen it comes to defrnce he is much more solid

FORZA MILAN

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
besikaka said:
If he comes for 3.6 milion I dont have problem to see him coming at us .. I just understood that he is right back not left back .. so I think we need good warm bencher for Cafu ..
Can't argue about the price, right, but wouldn't it make more sense to look for s.o. a little younger ? I doubt the point is to find a benchwarmer, Cafu won't play another season on a high level. ...

kenichy

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
fowler, maradona, pirlo
it would be really funny if we got oddo because that would mean that we would have and could line up a complete former lazio defense

oddo-stam-nesta-pancaro

oh and galliani has said in the past that he is a huge lazio defense fan so if oddo comes to milan it wouldn't be as surprising. personally if oddo comes then i would be glad. of course i would prefer bonera but seeing how milan handles signings then bonera won't be with us anytime soon because apparantely milan prefers older more experience players.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Passion for *9* said:
Cafu won't play another season on a high level. ...

Oh God, here we go. Like what you said about Maldini last year? ;)

I had my doubts about Cafu as well until you said that, virtually assuring Cafu having his best season next year.

Bambino D'oro

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Oddo, Diana, Gilardino, Toni, Volpi, Totti, De Rossi
grande_sheva7 said:
...he has the same attacking ability as cafu but wen it comes to defrnce he is much more solid

FORZA MILAN

I agree Oddo is more solid than cafu at back and i find that oddo would be a great signing because he is in his prime, As for cafu, he can play mor of a midfielded role because he is much more versatile, and I dont think he will hav another great season.. if you pay close attention he has already started to slow down abit.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
maldini_mo said:
As for cafu, he can play mor of a midfielded role because he is much more versatile, and I dont think he will hav another great season.. if you pay close attention he has already started to slow down abit
Finally someone paying attention to detail. Also very noticeable to the experienced eye: His crosses are lacking accuracy more often. Not as bad as Pancaro's, but it's enough of an indicator that next season won't be his best.

---

Maldini has probably seen better seasons than this one. He is heavily relying on experience + Milan's sleep-inducing play certainly fits in well with his progressing slowness, or vice versa. We will have a problem next year, we've already had one this year against opposition that refuses to collectively go into coma.

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
Oddo would be a great signing. Especially for the price. However I still think Cafu has another season in him. The guy is pure class.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Passion for *9* said:
Finally someone paying attention to detail. Also very noticeable to the experienced eye: His crosses are lacking accuracy more often. Not as bad as Pancaro's, but it's enough of an indicator that next season won't be his best.

---

Maldini has probably seen better seasons than this one. He is heavily relying on experience + Milan's sleep-inducing play certainly fits in well with his progressing slowness, or vice versa. We will have a problem next year, we've already had one this year against opposition that refuses to collectively go into coma.

Well it's kind of obvious it isn't Maldini's best seasons, he has well pass them over about 10 years ago, but he can still play very good, and can still be consider among the top 10 of defenders around the globe, which is pretty impressive. I have no problems, but to agree, yeah he is getting old, and we need to find a good replacement for him(hopefully 10 years or more younger).
Cafu is also getting aged, but I think he has another good year left. Plus I think his crosses are pretty much the same as they were with Roma some years ago.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Passion for *9* said:
Maldini has probably seen better seasons than this one. He is heavily relying on experience + Milan's sleep-inducing play certainly fits in well with his progressing slowness, or vice versa.

"Milan's sleep inducing-play?" I honestly think its time you fuck off and watch a different team. You can pick one up as easy as you picked this one. I can't fathom what would make you even say something that. Admittedly, when you support a team, you don't tend to admit the harshest truths, but Milan being boring isn't even in the air! Be it through opposition supporters, neutrals, the media etc. It's just your own shit, in your own head. It's Anti-Milan shit. If you had a username like Del Piero, Inter, ManU etc, you'd have been kicked out for being a prick. I'd have ridiculed you. Your Inzaghi picture doesn't give you immunity to me. I feel free to ridicule you now.

I know you want to look like the "tell it like it is/I don't sugercoat" kind of girl. But you're wrong ALL the time and so you're not even approaching that. Jose Mourinho is a "tell it like it is/ don't sugercoat it" kind of guy and he gets proved right a lot. There's a difference. He gets away with it, you look like a prized pumpkin.

It's just drivel after drivel after drivel and you post so much that this forum is completely incomprehensible if you put Passion for *9* on your ignore list.

Passion for *9* said:
We will have a problem next year.

Again, you said that last year. You're really gunning for it aren't you?

Do me a favour, take the "we" out in future. It's "Milan" to you.

Last edited:

ics_rk

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Sheva, Maldini, Baresi, Nesta, van der Vaart, Torres, Reyes, Pirlo, Gattuso, Pato
I would prefer to sign Mancini to Oddo actually, he is younger and have a great future.. But.. Maybe by signing Oddo there won't be any problem since recently Carlo rotate Cafu (Cafu-Stam-Cafu...) so maybe Stam can be played in the center..

Facade19

Primavera
Reaction score
ics_rk said:
I would prefer to sign Mancini to Oddo actually, he is younger and have a great future.. But.. Maybe by signing Oddo there won't be any problem since recently Carlo rotate Cafu (Cafu-Stam-Cafu...) so maybe Stam can be played in the center..

I agree with you.
I prefer Mancini. He has been playing very well this season for his age. 24 years old. Why is Milan bothering with Oddo, if they can get Mancini. He is younger, and faster, and he resembles Cafu so much in playing style, and he has better defensive skills than Cafu.
Milan plz get Mancini, and Bonera!

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
maldini_mo said:
.. if you pay close attention he has already started to slow down abit.
What the hell! Don't you watch Milan's games? Cafu is one of the best players in every one of them. Damn, don't you see how much he runs. He runs more and faster than a 20 year old! I'm not saying not to get a young prospect, but you also cannot say that Cafu started to slow down cause it's simply not true.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
Oddo has been a steady player for some time now, and his addition could provide some quality depth (and another overrated spot kick taker). I ah...ja, I am stoic about his arrival.

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Passion for *9* said:
Can't argue about the price, right, but wouldn't it make more sense to look for s.o. a little younger ? I doubt the point is to find a benchwarmer, Cafu won't play another season on a high level. ...

we know Milan is not after younger players .. so probably this deal will be done.. such for Cafu I dont know .. only God know that .. we cant predict nothing..

milan_fan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, pirlo, gilardino, pippo, dida, sheva
besikaka said:
such for Cafu I dont know .. only God know that .. we cant predict nothing..
yeah too right. looking at the guy, he never gives an impression of running out of fuel. He'll probably quit when he gets bored. :devilcoo:

GeronimoFinch

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso
Oddo would be a good squad player but it's not a name that comes out and grabs your attention.

With regard to Cafu, I think he's had a good season to date. He can be naive defensively at the best of times, but I can't name a better attacking full back in Europe. What is he now, 33 or 34? He can certainly play on for another couple of seasons yet. No problem!

Marco Azzuri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I would have to say that Cafu definetly has one more year and a probable second!

I do have a problem with Cafu's defending tough and would like to see a little improvement there witch Oddo can bring. I also think that Oddo has a better cross.

So for 3.6 mi bring the guy on for sure and then we can look for someone a bit younger in the next 2-3 years.

I realize a lot of people don't know Oddo, especially outside of Europe but he caught my eye even last year when he was on the bench for Lazio. I first saw him in a game for Italy and then a following one for Lazio. This guy is awsome and once he comes on to a big club like Milan he will be world famous.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
cagney said:
What is he now, 33 or 34? He can certainly play on for another couple of seasons yet. No problem!
He can't. He is 34, 35 next season + I don't see him running end to end for 95 min for very much longer. Already now he's hanging out midfields too often + yea, his crosses *do* lack accuracy at times. With our old bags in the back we become more + more vulnerable when we encounter attacking sides that we don't manage to play sleepy. People here take continuous performance + success way too much for granted.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
milan_fan said:
looking at the guy, he never gives an impression of running out of fuel. He'll probably quit when he gets bored.
Or when blood samples become mandatory EPO test procedure next season.. Oops, what an un-nice thing to say ;)

Marco Azzuri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Or when blood samples become mandatory EPO test procedure next season.. Oops, what an un-nice thing to say ;)

Man honestly, you think everybody is on drugs. What would ever give you the impression Cafu is on drugs. Because Maldini is 36 do you also think he is on drugs?

Marco Azzuri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
People here take continuous performance + success way too much for granted. Passion 9

mmmmmmmm ok what what are you saying exactly? That because Cafu has had a steady continuous performance doing a great job we should suddenly piss on him and immediatly replace him just because he is 34?

If we treated all our players like you would want too then nobody would want to join Milan and we would become just like Inter, wasting all the best talent in the world and wasting all sorts of money on good players that turn bad once they join our club.

Honestly man ease up on Cafu, the guy has been one of the best if not the best signing of the past 5 years.

ics_rk

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Sheva, Maldini, Baresi, Nesta, van der Vaart, Torres, Reyes, Pirlo, Gattuso, Pato
Yup and Ancelotti knows about it so Carlo did rotate him with Jaap Stam

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Marco Azzuri said:
Man honestly, you think everybody is on drugs. What would ever give you the impression Cafu is on drugs. Because Maldini is 36 do you also think he is on drugs?
I think that clubs that have the financial means to afford themselves sophisticated + top secret 'laboratories' use these facilities not only to monitor heart rate + blood pressure. Of course I don't have any evidence of 'doping' taking place anywhere, but doping is a very common occurrence in high performance sport + football is a high performance sport + a huge business where a lot is at stake all the time. You do your math for yourself, as I do mine.

---

As for Cafu, I don't know what exactly is so hard to understand about People here take continuous performance + success way too much for granted.. With the statement I made before (in my other post) it clearly reads like: He won't perform on a high level until he drops dead + at 35 a rather sudden dip in forum seems nothing uncommon, so wait + see rather than exult + take things for granted.

GeronimoFinch

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso
Passion for *9* said:
He can't. He is 34, 35 next season + I don't see him running end to end for 95 min for very much longer. Already now he's hanging out midfields too often + yea, his crosses *do* lack accuracy at times. With our old bags in the back we become more + more vulnerable when we encounter attacking sides that we don't manage to play sleepy. People here take continuous performance + success way too much for granted.

Your opinion counts for very little, Passion. I don't think I've ever read a post from you actually praising a Milan player (apart from the obvious, naturally). In the last 24 hours alone, you've hinted that Shevchenko will never return to his best, Maldini is a passenger and Cafu is living on borrowed time. That's just 24 hours.

I do love you, though.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
cagney said:
Your opinion counts for very little, Passion.
And so does yours. Or anyone else's.

cagney said:
I don't think I've ever read a post from you actually praising a Milan player (apart from the obvious, naturally). In the last 24 hours alone, you've hinted that Shevchenko will never return to his best, Maldini is a passenger and Cafu is living on borrowed time. That's just 24 hours.
Whoa, don't even try to put words into my mouth regarding Sheva. Of course Sheva hasn't lost his skills after the accident, but how quick he comes to terms with the psychological effects remains to be seen. He has already allotted himself an extended recuperation time, remember we'd all think he'd be ready at least for Roma, if not for Manure (return leg). So a bit of caution is in order I guess.

No doubt either that Maldini + Cafu are nearing the end of their career + won't play on top for 4 or 5 more seasons as some here seem to dream about, what did you think ?

cagney said:
I do love you, though.
I know. They all do ;)

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
Passion for *9* said:

Age Age Age.. There are alot of late 30-40 year olds (just average dudes) who have more stamina than people half their age - I know because i've played against them. Sure, they may lose a little bit of speed over time, but don't underestimate their ability to run end to end for 95 minutes.

I'd say Cafú definently has 1-2 seasons left at top European level, then I can imagine he will head back to the homeland or to the sandy pastures of Qatar.

Vernetti

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Michael Laudrup, Sheva, Ronaldinho, Grønkjær, Vicente, Robben
With Maldini just having extended his contract AND actually being older than Cafu I do not see why they both should´nt be able to play at their ussual level for two more seasons.

Our sophisticated and top-secret labs are probably the reason why! If they are able to mab out how each players physic reacts to training a.s.o. that is no doubt the reason why we have several older players at top form.
I highly doubt that they are using all their fancy equipment to create drugs for our players as someone hinted.

Most Milan players play for both club and country, playing around 30-60 matches a season with random drug tests every time so if they are on something I think they would have been cought a long time ago.

Oddo I don´t know very well but If we buy him I think there must be a very good reason for it. After all, the club stopped buying Ibrahim Ba´s and Anders Anderson´s a few years ago :)

Schedule