Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
The fuck happened in this thread :lol:
Fucking Puberty. :fp:
I honestly have tried to sit and watch anime and thought... This is horseshit.

With that said, I had a friend of mine recommend me a series and I did enjoy it last week. I think that I'm going to start with the old school stuff first and learn the history so I can understand and appreciate this. Jumping into newer stuff seems like I'm missing a deeper understanding of the sub culture.

Imma go way old school and just order some robotech. Watched it as a kid but probably didn't pay attention enough to appreciate it.

Thus begins the journey of the General.
I am sure there's at least one Anime that each and every person would enjoy. It's such a diverse and creative medium. Just need to define your taste and you'll find a perfect match.

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The journey to OPhood is a long and sometimes (*cough*FishmanIsland*cough*) arduous journey, but it is a pilgrimage, IMO, that every true Anime fan must make.

i don't think i'm a true anime fan, i just like to watch stuff i like

Just General. I'm just a humble and weary traveler.

Without knowing your style (action, mmo, jrp etc.) Here are my rpg recommendations:

1. SNES/sfamicom chrono trigger, terranigma, ff 3 (6), Earthbound
2. Psx - ff tactics, xenogears, lunar 1 SSS (silver star story), alundra 1, vagrant story,legend of dragoon,
3. Saturn - panzer dragoon saga, dragon force (rpg elements)
4. Dreamcast - skies of Arcadia,
5. Ps2- rouge galaxy, dark cloud 2, shin megami nocturne, dragon quest 8, xmen legends and xmen legends age of apocalypse (rpg elements)
7. Wii- xenoblade chronicles, the last story,
8. Xbox 360/ps3- valkaryia chronicles,lost odyssey, mass effect series but definitely 1st one, ni no kuni wotww, fallout 3.

without looking at my collection, these are the ones i can recall are good. The ones in bold are bucket list worthy.

I didn't mention the final fantasy games because they are typically a given. Special mention to ff6 and tactics for just being awesome sauce.

As a video i shared with jamminiroquai pointed out, there are a lot of ties to the history of RPGs and anime so I will respect the thread.

If you or anyone else want an in depth review of this or any rpg out there (console rpg), PM me and I'll be happy to give you all the info I have. I've played all of the selections I've listed and about a legion more so I should have something to recommend outside of this list.

thanks

but do you have any for the pc?

i liked skyrim, dragon age, etc....

graphs are also important for me

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I am sure there's at least one Anime that each and every person would enjoy. Just need to find your taste and you'll find a perfect match.

Can someone explain to me in rpg terms what types of anime
are out there? Is it specific to the 'anime' genre or a the 'types' or is it like regular movie genre - drama/action/horror? With video games, you got your turn based strategy, mmorpg, FPS etc etc. does anime have anime specific sub categories?

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

thanks

What jammun said- graphics and gameplay: the witcher 2.

By a long shot.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Casual. :o

Dark Souls (II just came out)? I've heard amazing things about the Witcher series too.

The witcher looks amazing.

i liked the open worlds in Skyrim, GTA,....

hard to find a good game like that

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

If you want good open world- fall out 3 and red dead redemption.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me in rpg terms what types of anime
are out there? Is it specific to the 'anime' genre or a the 'types' or is it like regular movie genre - drama/action/horror? With video games, you got your turn based strategy, mmorpg, FPS etc etc. does anime have anime specific sub categories?
Yea standard movie genre classification is most common - Adventure, Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Romance etc. Then you get target audience classification but those aren't really important. Just know whether you like mature stuff or more kiddish, playful stuff.

But you could ask for stuff like say "realistic Edo-era portrayal of Samurais" or "philosophical space wars with giant Mechas" or maybe "blood-thirsty, scantily-dressed women fighting it out with fantastical weapons" (Derp and Ultra Swan will be glad to help you out with this :devilcon:)

I'd suggest checking out some absolute classics first and moving on from there depending on what you liked.

Witcher series is supposed to be more narrative-driven, less open-world though, which makes sense because it's adapted from a book series.
I second Fallout 3. Super-fun and different RPG.

Last edited:

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
Surprised ikita hasn't jumped in to declare how amazing Mass effect is. Anyone with an Xbox 360 it's highly recommendable, played the first two and what an amazing series

LemonCookies

Andrea Poli Fan Club President
Reaction score
Patched Witcher 1 was an amazing game if you could get out of the early game levels.

Witcher 2 had the boobs and the graphics, but I felt that I could move no where, even less than Witcher 1. I've been accustomed to The Elder Scrolls games where I can go anywhere I want however I want.

Besides Witcher, people should play Mass Effect. While I haven't played 3, 1 and 2 are stellar games. 2 actually never made me mad at the game whilst playing it. I don't think that's ever happened before, :lol:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

red dead reminded me too much of GTA adept to cowboy times,

I second Fallout 3. Super-fun and different RPG.

this seems worth for dwnlding

Patched Witcher 1 was an amazing game if you could get out of the early game levels.

Witcher 2 had the boobs and the graphics, but I felt that I could move no where, even less than Witcher 1. I've been accustomed to The Elder Scrolls games where I can go anywhere I want however I want.

Besides Witcher, people should play Mass Effect. While I haven't played 3, 1 and 2 are stellar games. 2 actually never made me mad at the game whilst playing it. I don't think that's ever happened before, :lol:

ES series, soo much variety and endless numbers of options

:thumbsup:

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just General. I'm just a humble and weary traveler.

Without knowing your style (action, mmo, jrp etc.) Here are my rpg recommendations:

1. SNES/sfamicom chrono trigger, terranigma, ff 3 (6), Earthbound
2. Psx - ff tactics, xenogears, lunar 1 SSS (silver star story), alundra 1, vagrant story,legend of dragoon,
3. Saturn - panzer dragoon saga, dragon force (rpg elements)
4. Dreamcast - skies of Arcadia,
5. Ps2- rouge galaxy, dark cloud 2, shin megami nocturne, dragon quest 8, xmen legends and xmen legends age of apocalypse (rpg elements)
7. Wii- xenoblade chronicles, the last story,
8. Xbox 360/ps3- valkaryia chronicles,lost odyssey, mass effect series but definitely 1st one, ni no kuni wotww, fallout 3.

without looking at my collection, these are the ones i can recall are good. The ones in bold are bucket list worthy.

I didn't mention the final fantasy games because they are typically a given. Special mention to ff6 and tactics for just being awesome sauce.

As a video i shared with jamminiroquai pointed out, there are a lot of ties to the history of RPGs and anime so I will respect the thread.

If you or anyone else want an in depth review of this or any rpg out there (console rpg), PM me and I'll be happy to give you all the info I have. I've played all of the selections I've listed and about a legion more so I should have something to recommend outside of this list.

Shadow Hearts is a very under-rated PS2 RPG. Legend of Legaia, Star Ocean series:o

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My thirst for entertainment was quench. Thank You Pharaoh and Lemon, good stuff. :lol:

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
My thirst for entertainment was quench. Thank You Pharaoh and Lemon, good stuff. :lol:

No problem, especially on weekends like this.

Sir crook doesnt frequent this thread that much anymore. First damn, now crook :cry:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Uhhm am I the only one who sees that u guys are being trolled by either burlesquoni or general?

Both those accounts are better than yoda though :o

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
1. SNES/sfamicom chrono trigger

Yes,Yes...Chrono Trigger is teh shit!!! Need to really go back and continue playing it...but for some reason nowadays I just don't have the energy to play video games as I used to
The SNES Version is the best...the PSX Version has slow loading times...so your best bet is the SNES Version

The moment you hear this theme you know shit's about to go down :cool:

thanks

You can emulate most(all?) of those games General Recommended and even make them look better if your PC is good enough

You'd be a fool if you miss out on Chrono Trigger(one of the best of all time) and Xenoblade(though the controls might be a bit tricky at first to customize for this game)

Xenoblade for example looks amazing in Dolphin Emulator(depending on how good your PC is)

Last edited:

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
This is one of 3 anime I was recommended by a co-worker. Agreed. This is pretty good.
Have you watched all of Monster? I thought the ending was epic

Other Anime I could recommend is Cowboy Bebop(easy recommendation),Shaman King(though it doesn't cover all the manga...and avoid the 4kids dub),Death Note(second half sucks after a certain incident happens),anything Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli,Lupin the Third etc.
Anime in reality is 90% crap but there's the 10% which are very good

LemonCookies

Andrea Poli Fan Club President
Reaction score
Have you watched all of Monster? I thought the ending was epic

Other Anime I could recommend is Cowboy Bebop(easy recommendation),Shaman King(though it doesn't cover all the manga...and avoid the 4kids dub),Death Note(second half sucks after a certain incident happens),anything Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli,Lupin the Third etc.
Anime in reality is 90% crap but there's the 10% which are very good

There aren't full box sets for Monster, which pisses me off! I want to buy and watch it!

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
There aren't full box sets for Monster, which pisses me off! I want to buy and watch it!

Viz Media dropped their DVD releases after the First Volume(which contains about 15 episodes) for some reason(maybe they didn't sell well? I dunno)
Just torrent the series from BakaBT :p...Pretty good quality ripped from Japanese DVD's combined with Fansubs :D
That's how I watched it

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Uhhm am I the only one who sees that u guys are being trolled by either burlesquoni or general?

Both those accounts are better than yoda though :o
Doesn't matter. Ultimate goal of this thread is to one day, reach 1000000 posts (collectively including previous thread), any post whores are gladly welcome. :thumbsup:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
You can emulate most(all?) of those games General Recommended and even make them look better if your PC is good enough

You'd be a fool if you miss out on Chrono Trigger(one of the best of all time) and Xenoblade(though the controls might be a bit tricky at first to customize for this game)

Xenoblade for example looks amazing in Dolphin Emulator(depending on how good your PC is)

i've got no experience with emulating, pm me some links

CT + Wenoblade seems worth trying

Last edited:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Hmmm but are you sure, MB? Burlesqoni and General don't really strike me as similar. :monto:

Last edited:

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
finished off Noragami tonight, wasnt a bad anime, worth watching I guess.

Really looking for an anime with an awesome lead character, maybe some magic or swords.

Anyone have any ideas?

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Yo, read the latest Breaker? Seems like the Murim are set for an all-out war.

Schedule