The Rumour Commode XXXVI - Mission Accomplished Edition

Zaniolo al Milan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wokegiant

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Btw, I love stories about how people became Milan fans. @sheva-pippo you are a real one, the rest of us became fans while Milan were on top of the world, but you? Banter era fan. You're a champion man.
Yeah true @Samaldinho. I don't even know how one becomes a Banter era fan unless inherited or geographical. Massive respect. If its even possible, I'm rooting for Milan even more so that fans like @sheva-pippo get to experience the glory.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Btw, I love stories about how people became Milan fans. @sheva-pippo you are a real one, the rest of us became fans while Milan were on top of the world, but you? Banter era fan. You're a champion man.
One of the biggest reasons for me was no one I knew liked them. I hate liking who everyone liked. Everyone at college like PL teams, or Barca/Real.. I started playing with them in FIFA in the dorms with other freshmen after practice. My story sucks haha but I am happy with the way it worked out

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I know I’ve said this several times but soccer just wasn’t it around where I grew up. Luckily I had a high school coach who got me so interested. I’d be willing to bet I didn’t even see a handful of professional games (not counting international/World Cup) until college in ‘03

stevan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
"How dare you not play open football so we can find it easier to score." A fluke deflection is the only reason they got the draw. Hate that club so much.

I’m loving this. Liverpool jumped into Luis Diaz running after Tottenham pretty much sealed the deal. Somewhat of a dick move. Now the Spurs cost them the title. Amazing.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It’s hard to describe how popular college football is in the US south and how popular football is overall in this country. I don’t think football of the calcio variety has any chance of ever even coming close to it here. There’s a great market for Milan to tap into here because we Italian-Americans are legion, but I don’t think anything dethrones football unless kids stop playing due to injury/health concerns.

It’s very much a niche sport and as someone else said it’s pretty much considered a pussy sport by the masses. But, when you are talking about the richest county in world history with 300+ million citizens, that’s still a huge market.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It’s hard to describe how popular college football is in the US south and how popular football is overall in this country. I don’t think football of the calcio variety has any chance of ever even coming close to it here. There’s a great market for Milan to tap into here because we Italian-Americans are legion, but I don’t think anything dethrones football unless kids stop playing due to injury/health concerns.

It’s very much a niche sport and as someone else said it’s pretty much considered a pussy sport by the masses. But, when you are talking about the richest county in world history with 300+ million citizens, that’s still a huge market.
Agreed. But it’s also why we are not a legit international team. We REALLY should be. But typically don’t get the best athletes interested because of it not being popular to begin with

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Also, am I the only one here who started following Milan during the banter era, because I still can't fathom what it means for us to win the Scudetto, and what follows afterwards.

I find solace in the fact that I was lucky enough to find such a classy club that I can support, and get behind. And a club that has such great fans worldwide, especially this forum.

So I'm pretty excited and nervous for the next 2 matches obviously, however, some of you seem extremely nervous and on the edge lol

Sent from my moto g(40) fusion using Tapatalk
There were a LOT of Milan fans here in the early 2000s. The first season I supported Milan, we had just signed Nesta from Lazio. I would say we were at our peak when Sheva won the Balloon d'or. For every 7 football fans, I would say there were 2 Manure, 1 arsenal, barca real and Milan fan each.

We've lost an entire generation in between. But I'm confident the next 10 years is ours!

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
I think Calabria is getting a disproportionate amount of blame for Verona's goal. I think Kalulu was out-of-position, while Calabria was playing too narrow (that's his fault) but I also think that Tomori and Theo got their marking all wrong, why wasn't someone on that backpost? You could even ask why Maignan didn't come out for the ball? Calabria looks slower this year than last year, though, he looks like he's injured when he's running. He was never fast (which is what I think will hold him back from being an elite European player rather than just an elite RB in Serie A), but he doesn't look comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that he's had some injury this year that he's been playing through.

That goal was a mistake, yes, but it's weird to me that whenever a player makes a mistake, we have to sell them and move on. We are going to concede goals. Hopefully not for the rest of the season, but, I promise you, this team, even if it reaches its zenith, will concede goals. All teams do.

Also, when you make attacking passes, you're going to miss, you have to take risks, and our tactic of using the long ball (which Liverpool do, a lot) to negate and/or scare a team that wants to combine a press with counter attacks, not saying our passing is perfect, but I think we are a little unfair with some players sometimes.
I thought Tonali was mostly at fault for that goal (or whoever was meant to occupy the RDM position at the time), as the attacking player got in behind him. Definitely can’t blame Calabria.

Also, it must be said that it was the second game in a row where we conceded/almost conceded from a cross from our right flank. Whether that is due to our RB or not having a Botman type player can be debated, but it certainly looks like teams are beginning to try and exploit us down this channel

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Football is king, there's no way around that. But I think soccer's growth is clear.

You don't have displace football to grow your market, though, that was my point. I think the goal should be to simply add to the American diet of sports. You want people to say "I'm a Cowboys fan, a Lakers fan, and in soccer I root for AC Milan."

I also doubt those who are pushing soccer are focusing on the south at all. They are going for the coasts, and other large metro areas. America is a huge market, and with such a huge Italian American community, you can create a power base for support.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Football/Soccer is really big in the west coast. Americans are generally bot interested in the sports they arent good at. But soccer has a big appeal especially to minorities and immigrants in the states, which there are a lot of.

But i agree Football/NFL and Basketball/NBA are really well ran leagues at least in terms of marketing, considering theyre audience potential is not as large as lets say Soccer. Its hard for the MLS to overtake the two, but there’s definitely more room for growth.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Football is king, there's no way around that. But I think soccer's growth is clear.

You don't have displace football to grow your market, though, that was my point. I think the goal should be to simply add to the American diet of sports. You want people to say "I'm a Cowboys fan, a Lakers fan, and in soccer I root for AC Milan."

I also doubt those who are pushing soccer are focusing on the south at all. They are going for the coasts, and other large metro areas. America is a huge market, and with such a huge Italian American community, you can create a power base for support.
They need to push for the same markets that have made it pay to play with youth club soccer.. another one of the biggest downfalls of the sport in the states.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. But it’s also why we are not a legit international team. We REALLY should be. But typically don’t get the best athletes interested because of it not being popular to begin with
I don't think it is about athletes, Americans don't play soccer like they should.

I played at a higher level when I was younger, while the rest of my family played basketball, at truly elite levels.

Europeans fixate on the foundations of basketball. They don't play the game for fun at the same rates as Americans do. So they don't have the same creativity and spark as American players. Basketball, is also determined by your physical gifts (height really) than anything else.

The point is, Americans play soccer the way Europeans play basketball. It also doesn't help that they depend on English style tactics, coaches, and mentalities. There's a reason English teams don't use English coaches, they're the worst.

They would be better off with the French, Spanish, or Italian approach, but no, they marvel at any asshole with an English accent and pay him tons of money.

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
I want Don Silvio and Galliani both present at the Scudetto party at San Siro.
Silvio sold us to frauds, knowingly. I can’t forgive him for that. We almost went the route of Parma

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think it is about athletes, Americans don't play soccer like they should.

I played at a higher level when I was younger, while the rest of my family played basketball, at truly elite levels.

Europeans fixate on the foundations of basketball. They don't play the game for fun at the same rates as Americans do. So they don't have the same creativity and spark as American players. Basketball, is also determined by your physical gifts (height really) than anything else.

The point is, Americans play soccer the way Europeans play basketball. It also doesn't help that they depend on English style tactics, coaches, and mentalities. There's a reason English teams don't use English coaches, they're the worst.

They would be better off with the French, Spanish, or Italian approach, but no, they marvel at any asshole with an English accent and pay him tons of money.
I could not love this post any more regarding the accent

Kuroha

Fiamma Nera
Reaction score
Two inter fans arguing on Reddit about which team had the most injuries. My jaw just dropped, one of them thinks Sensi's injuries at Sampdoria count for them because they paid his transfer fee and pay his salary. I can't believe the level of mental gymnastics 😮
There's always a logical fans, and the illogical one. Anywhere.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They need to push for the same markets that have made it pay to play with youth club soccer.. another one of the biggest downfalls of the sport in the states.
That pay to play model is another reason America sucks at soccer. They ignore all the immigrant kids, and then wonder why kids born in America continuously choose to represent their home country.

America is better at having immigrants as part of their country than any European nation, and they do well in every other sport, but soccer. And I'm not talking just like, first generation, but like Rossi, Subotic, so many kids choose their home nations over America. Because America's team is an extension of those (mostly white) pay to play teams that are annoying and probably have racist nicknames for any Latin kid on their team.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I thought Tonali was mostly at fault for that goal (or whoever was meant to occupy the RDM position at the time), as the attacking player got in behind him. Definitely can’t blame Calabria.

Also, it must be said that it was the second game in a row where we conceded/almost conceded from a cross from our right flank. Whether that is due to our RB or not having a Botman type player can be debated, but it certainly looks like teams are beginning to try and exploit us down this channel
I thought Kalulu and Calabria were at fault for the through ball behind them and then when the cross came in, that was a breakdown of Tomori, Theo, and Maignan.

@General said it best, we are pissed that we conceded a goal. This defense is strong. Once we get this attack sorted, I'm excited to see what this team can do.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
That pay to play model is another reason America sucks at soccer. They ignore all the immigrant kids, and then wonder why kids born in America continuously choose to represent their home country.

America is better at having immigrants as part of their country than any European nation, and they do well in every other sport, but soccer. And I'm not talking just like, first generation, but like Rossi, Subotic, so many kids choose their home nations over America. Because America's team is an extension of those (mostly white) pay to play teams that are annoying and probably have racist nicknames for any Latin kid on their team.
It’s absolutely the biggest issue. I’m fairly certain if I went back to my college team.. every single one of them paid to play club in high school. Same with anyone I played with in Open and O30.. my family coulda have paid but it’s not the point, I played other sports too so didn’t play soccer year round… point being it was 99% a money grab. You played if your parents paid

Forza Rossoneri

Milan Forever
Reaction score
Also, am I the only one here who started following Milan during the banter era, because I still can't fathom what it means for us to win the Scudetto, and what follows afterwards.

I find solace in the fact that I was lucky enough to find such a classy club that I can support, and get behind. And a club that has such great fans worldwide, especially this forum.

So I'm pretty excited and nervous for the next 2 matches obviously, however, some of you seem extremely nervous and on the edge lol

Sent from my moto g(40) fusion using Tapatalk
Join the club. Better two than one.

Sent from my POCO M2 Pro using Tapatalk

Kmoney

Cinque Zero Cinque
Reaction score
The great thing about the banter era is that all fans of Milan today are hardcore fans. Our fan base isn’t filled with 80% casual fans as is the case with Chelsea, United, Real Madrid, or Barcelona.

I absolutely love that. I detest casual EPL fans

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The great thing about the banter era is that all fans of Milan today are hardcore fans. Our fan base isn’t filled with 80% casual fans as is the case with Chelsea, United, Real Madrid, or Barcelona.

My favorite is … “I always loved Chelsea” and “I always loved City”

Ha. No you didn’t!! Idiots don’t even realize they weren’t relevant

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Did we really ever have plastic fans?

I have had a lot of people tell me that Milan is their second team, lol. Lots of Barca fans, haha.

Storkness

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Did we really ever have plastic fans?

I have had a lot of people tell me that Milan is their second team, lol. Lots of Barca fans, haha.
Lol I follow Milan on bleacher report app.. which is the worst app ever. And there’s a dude who supports Chelsea and Milan.. like what the hell? Probably likes Bayern, Barca, and PSG too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule