BERNARDESCHI: ‘QATAR WORLD CUP ABOMINABLE, WE MUST RISE UP FOR HUMAN RIGHTS’​

Bernardeschi is suddenly an activist :lol:
And then the guy voted for Giorgia

Kaka06/07

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Saelemaekers
I don't get it. Why isn't Qatari people point of view respected. Why does the world think it's fair to put their beliefs on them. In this day and age nobody is stuck in a country. You can leave anytime if you don't. I think I have had enough of certain cultures trying to impose their belief on others. This start to the Qatar world cup had been one of the best I can remember.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

This has potential to be as revolutionary as VAR. a stop clock system is pretty common in other sports like Basketball and US football.

It was very bizzare on Saudi vs Argentina to see 50 minute first half and 55 minute second half. But I think it goes well with VAR delays.

• Thumbs Up
Reactions: brk

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
This has potential to be as revolutionary as VAR. a stop clock system is pretty common in other sports like Basketball and US football.

It was very bizzare on Saudi vs Argentina to see 50 minute first half and 55 minute second half. But I think it goes well with VAR delays.
Football will catch up. In 50 years from now.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
“People don’t know what they’re saying. It always depends on the team you play in. If you put an extremely defensive player in Barcelona it doesn’t make sense, and similarly an attacking full-back in a team that prefers defence is not in the right place.

“An example: me at Juve. That Juve was a team that structurally was made to defend. I was pushing but it ended up conflicting with the idea of the team, so I didn’t play as much as I would have liked. You have to choose the right player for the team’s needs.”

He confirmed this is why he left the Old Lady after only one season.

“Yes. They signed a player with beastly offensive potential, but they didn’t need a guy like that. I had never kicked long in my life, I certainly couldn’t start at 33. They made the wrong choice.”
Lol! Dicks, juve.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Football will catch up. In 50 years from now.

The game has already changed in recent years.
- goal line tech
- video assistant ref
- 5 subs per game
- now, longer added time

Also all the additional games with
- nations league
- conference league
- winter international competitions.
- Also plan to expand CL soon, and considered a biannual World Cup at one point.

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
The game has already changed in recent years.
- goal line tech
- video assistant ref
- 5 subs per game
- now, longer added time

Also all the additional games with
- nations league
- conference league
- winter international competitions.
- Also plan to expand CL soon, and considered a biannual World Cup at one point.
Football develops but at a slow pace regardless of newly implemented technology. And the rules keep changing and aren't clear cut. Even across leagues.

In rugby they stop the time when the ball is not in play. You can hear the field ref interact with the VAR team. Decisions, including tough ones, are fast and just whereas in football we have to wait 5+ minutes for a referee looking at a TV on the sideline. What has been implemented is good, but we still got a way to go to modernize.

To modernize, you need to have the facilities as well. In Qatar they use new tech to help the referee team determine offsides. It requires a lot of camera equipment around the pitch from all kinds of angles. Without a stadium that could accommodate that it is not possible to install this. You can hang them in the San Siro because its a big stadium. But you can't install the same system at Udinese or Spezia kind of stadiums.

Thinking about it...this might be an additional headache to Italia if the technology used at the WC Qatar will become the international standard for the EURO and WC.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You can't defend the hypocrisy. No one is denying that based on western morality, Qatar is not in sync. There are issues with migrant labor safety and exploitation. Btw, Italy banned alcohol in '90 DURING the World Cup, so there's a precedent there. There are alcohol bans in many stadiums and tournaments around the world. It's not a rare thing.

Yet if you're looking for an absolute purity test, which countries are allowed to host the world cup? Norway? Maybe. I'd argue even they're not perfect, but that's where we end up trying to draw lines about what is and isn't right. Qatar is somewhere on that line, but so was Russia and I don't remember nearly as much blatant condemnation during the 2018 WC.

AOGVJ6C5X5ABHL4GR5YQ2ZNP2Q.jpg

Same person who was ok posing with Putin while this was happening:

4DF9286800000578-0-image-a-50_1530914360365.jpg

It's the weird and pathetic virtue signaling that annoys me. I don't want anyone to preface any condemnation of Qatar by saying there's other injustices everywhere, that's not the point. But if you're going to get on your high horse, just make sure you're consistent otherwise one wonders if there's some other motive behind all the outrage.

Also, if we start judging the entirety of the US by the speeches of government representatives...

Russia got almost the same level of shit as Qatar, with a little saving grace of them having nukes and a football tradition. Also they were a lot better at keeping a facade, and while I agree that every country produces some stupid speeches Qatar is showing a very strong level of insensitivity and detachment. It is also one thing to have an alcohol ban but repeatedly going back on their word, mind you originally this was intended to be a summer world cup, is just showing a lack of respect towards the whole world cup. It feels like it started as a sports washing attempt and now became a toy that they are already bored of, not a single minute feels like there is some amount of love for the game itself, which so far is pretty unique.

Also western, especially politically western European moral horse is higher or rather better for the people, these countries still do shit but it is fundamentally wrong to pretend that they are anywhere close to the level of countries like Qatar. Nord Korea won't call out Qatar so who else should do it, if not the countries that are not perfect but at least better?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Russia got almost the same level of shit as Qatar, with a little saving grace of them having nukes and a football tradition. Also they were a lot better at keeping a facade, and while I agree that every country produces some stupid speeches Qatar is showing a very strong level of insensitivity and detachment. It is also one thing to have an alcohol ban but repeatedly going back on their word, mind you originally this was intended to be a summer world cup, is just showing a lack of respect towards the whole world cup. It feels like it started as a sports washing attempt and now became a toy that they are already bored of, not a single minute feels like there is some amount of love for the game itself, which so far is pretty unique.

Also western, especially politically western European moral horse is higher or rather better for the people, these countries still do shit but it is fundamentally wrong to pretend that they are anywhere close to the level of countries like Qatar. Nord Korea won't call out Qatar so who else should do it, if not the countries that are not perfect but at least better?
I'm curious what you think Qatar and countries in the GCC are doing that's so morally outrageous that justifies this level of outrage.

CraigoACM

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All of them
You can't defend the hypocrisy. No one is denying that based on western morality, Qatar is not in sync. There are issues with migrant labor safety and exploitation. Btw, Italy banned alcohol in '90 DURING the World Cup, so there's a precedent there. There are alcohol bans in many stadiums and tournaments around the world. It's not a rare thing.

Yet if you're looking for an absolute purity test, which countries are allowed to host the world cup? Norway? Maybe. I'd argue even they're not perfect, but that's where we end up trying to draw lines about what is and isn't right. Qatar is somewhere on that line, but so was Russia and I don't remember nearly as much blatant condemnation during the 2018 WC.

It's the weird and pathetic virtue signaling that annoys me. I don't want anyone to preface any condemnation of Qatar by saying there's other injustices everywhere, that's not the point. But if you're going to get on your high horse, just make sure you're consistent otherwise one wonders if there's some other motive behind all the outrage.

Also, if we start judging the entirety of the US by the speeches of government representatives...
getting old for liking women off the telly, But I like her on the left. Forgot her name.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma

This woman is so highly privileged and probably thinks herself a victim of some sort.
Imagine going into a foreign country and (conveniently) deciding to come out thereby breaking the country's rules then and there.
Also instead of keeping it quiet till she got home, she openly broadcasts that she's breaking the law AND encouraging others to do so via the armband.

And the kicker is...she KNOWS she's completely safe. This does nothing for the actual gays in Qatar. They will be persecuted and prosecuted.
That armband might as well have the words "look at how awesome I am"

This is not about Qatar's hideous human right record or their persecution of LGBT or their ENSLAVEMENT of ppl.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
And the kicker is...she KNOWS she's completely safe. This does nothing for the actual gays in Qatar. They will be persecuted and prosecuted.
That armband might as well have the words "look at how awesome I am"
Agree. If she really wanted to make a statement she should've made out with the other girl live on TV. That would be supporting LGBTQA+ freedoms and she would be considered a herald for rights.

Wearing an armband does what exactly? As if Qatari law will change because of it. (not that I endorse Qatari law in any way, but these are such empty statements)

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva

I think this is the stupidest thing in football I've seen for a while. Time should only be added on for subs, injuries or other types of delays. The ball being off the field at certain points of time in a game is part and parcel of the flow of a football game. Ref's also take this into account and will add in a minute or two on top of the amount for subs and injury/other delays.

This will make games ridiculously long and put an even bigger burden on players than there already is. Are they trying to kill players?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think this is the stupidest thing in football I've seen for a while. Time should only be added on for subs, injuries or other types of delays. The ball being off the field at certain points of time in a game is part and parcel of the flow of a football game. Ref's also take this into account and will add in a minute or two on top of the amount for subs and injury/other delays.

This will make games ridiculously long and put an even bigger burden on players than there already is. Are they trying to kill players?
You're ok with us having an effective playing time of around 40 minutes against teams that waste time?

SecondStar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Man these bitches wants football like American football
That’s why I love football and rugby as well. Two halves of intense non-stop action with a small break. Then the rest of the day to do what you want. None of this slow, sitting around all day nonsense. We must protect against the Americanization of the sport from every angle.

R.Akbar

Allenatore
Reaction score
My take out during these two days at WC:
1. Those young Spaniard are monsters. Never imagine Tiki Taka x Side Cross would work. Pedri & Gavi remind me a bit of Xavi & Iniesta.
2. I developed a genuine interest on Embolo of Switzerland. He's an interesting profile for ST/FW. Strong & pacy, a genuine hard worker. If Maldini work fast, he can be acquired for 20m (just a hunch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule