Champions League Round of 16: Tottenham vs AC Milan 08/03/2023 21:00 CET

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
a0acf22312260b703ab7ab7c1bdb6ade

CL_Trophy_Bumper_2.gif

We're back for game 2 in London! We all know what's at stake - a step closer to our dream of lifting the #8 ... in none other place than the haunted Istanbul.

Probable Milan XI: Maignan; Kalulu, Kjaer, Tomori; Saelemaekers, Bennacer, Tonali, Theo; Krunic, Leao; Giroud.

Probable Tottenham XI: Forster; Romero, Lenglet, Davies; Emerson, Hojberg, Skipp, Perisic; Kulusevski, Richarlison; Kane.

Forza Milan!

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Clmakers will guide us through. Not worried at all

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
a0acf22312260b703ab7ab7c1bdb6ade

CL_Trophy_Bumper_2.gif

We're back for game 2 in London! We all know what's at stake - a step closer to our dream of lifting the #8 ... in none other place than the haunted Istanbul.

Probable Milan XI: Maignan; Kalulu, Kjaer, Tomori; Saelemaekers, Bennacer, Tonali, Theo; Krunic, Leao; Giroud.

Probable Tottenham XI: Forster; Romero, Lenglet, Davies; Emerson, Hojberg, Skipp, Perisic; Kulusevski, Richarlison; Kane.

Forza Milan!
Why Richarlison and not Son?

gioiuzza

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I better not get snowed on while surrounded by Tottenham fans just to watch a defeat

dai raga

Krunic likely to start in place of Brahim, Kjaer rumoured to lead the CBs, feeling positive

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
We should be going into this game with a 2 or 3 goal lead.

Both teams are hardly on form so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

With Magic Mike back I'm far more confident than I was before the first leg.

If we score first I can't see anyway we don't go through. If Spurs score first I can see us falling to pieces.

Forza Milan!

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Seedorf, Ali Sully Muntari, Massimo Ambrosini
Sheva and Pippo, they both are strikers but are they the same?
obviously not, each one of them does something different than the other
same goes to CBs, one has to be the brain and the other is the muscle
you can have both but you need to be better at one thing than the others
Tomori is the muscle, he can make any strong striker suffer with his strength
however he needs covering just like any other defender, the whole defense has to move like one
so they are constantly looking at the ball, the striker and each other to kill any gaps between them
that means when someone makes a mistake, there is usually someone else there to fix it
defenders get beaten all the time, you just don't usually notice because it was fixed so the player who beat them found another one to get the ball from him
unless the another one wasn't there and that turned into a goal and fans remember who was beaten and not who didn't cover
now i have made a post on facebook today looking at the common factor in most of goals conceded by Milan recently and found out that Kalulu is doing a lot of weird stuff
Fiorentina's first goal the penalty has nothing to do with him but the second one he was out of the picture, in Lazio's first goal he was out of the picture, against Sassuolo 4th goal he was out of the picture
you either cover Tomori or don't play him just like Sassulo's game when Milan lost 2-5 without him being there and also 3 out of 4-0 win for Lazio he wasn't there either
so Tomori is not the problem, i don't even think Kalulu is but the high pressure is the whole problem
that is the defense line, the only line that can't be affected by Giroud having no skills outside the box because the midfield need a striker to help build an attack and wingers need space created by a striker
right now Tonali has nothing to offer because he mainly is good at passing, can do some other stuff but mostly passing
who is he going to pass to? Krunic can pass too but he is better than the other stuff than Tonali so he looks better
Ismael Ben Nasser is very good at passing but he is just getting the ball back
Messias could pass as well, he has vision but he rarely does
CDK is good at passing and dribbling he is number two in dribbling for Milan but he can't do either because your attack lacks dynamic movements
Leao is not distracted but he could use a striker so he doesn't need to do wonders every game
Diaz is very good at running and scoring inside the box, just needs the space not created by Giroud.

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What are we seeing here ?!
Sorry if the pictures are not clear
we can describe them only as to each his own, not what they like but type of defending system
Kalulu mostly applying high pressure on his own and leaving a lot of space, whether it is 4 minutes into Lazio game or 27 seconds into Sassulo second half
and against Fiorentina he turned into a RB when Messias cut into the middle so when Messias was dropped and lost the ball, Tomori found himself against 2 Fiorentina players and Thiaw was out of position for no reason
that was the chance that Mike saved and Tomori cleared on the goal's line
in Fiorentina's PK, Theo was covered by Tomori and then Thiaw was going towards Mike instead of covering Tomori
if he did cover him, Fiorentina's player would get rid of Tomori to be surprised by Thiaw and nothing would have happened
against Sassulo Gabbia applying high pressure for no reason, Kalulu not sure whether to mark Sassulo's only striker or set an offside trap while Calabria was watching and covering the offside
the second picture against Lazio, Dest standing right while Kalulu left him against two Lazio players
i just mean i don't want those gaps to show, i want the whole defense to cover for each other.

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players

That is Pioli, looking for loopholes and shortcuts to avoid building a defensive and offensive systems
just scare the opponents with the high pressure to do both, worked against Atalanta and Milan looked good
but didn't work against Fiorentina and Milan looked extremely bad.

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Scudetto 2011 and next season 2012
Milan had a system to attack
i didn't understand it completely until they tried to copy paste in at the beginning of 2014 season
on paper Nocerino was a CM in 2012 and Boateng was AM and Ibra and Robinho were strikers, it was 4-3-1-2
but what happened during the game is Ibra would switch with Boateng, Ibra is a play maker looking to give assists and Boateng was the striker to score first time shots
Robinho moved to the left taking a defender with him just to open space where Nocerino advanced to receive the ball inside the box and score
Boateng first touch shots and Nocerino 1 on 1 with the goal keeper worked pretty good, Robinho movements and Ibra passes were critical
back then Ibra didn't run much, worked smart not hard
he walked over from his position to Boateng's
the media were all about Milan needs a play maker, Ibra is dropping down to get the ball because there isn't a play maker
Nocerino was later replaced by Muntari, not as good at finishing and scoring and getting into the box in time but was far better at defending and passing
but that was the best way to use all of them according to what they could do
now you could do it again
Robinho can be replaced by Rebic, Ibra is still walking and can pass if there was a space, Diaz and Messias could do Boateng's role even if not 100%
Nocerino could be replaced by Pobega who only seems good inside the box and Theo for sure who is good at finishing
in 2014 Balotelli tried to replace Ibra, Matri to replace Robinho, Kaka' to replace Boateng and there was Nocerino and Muntari
it didn't work because Balotelli looks like Ibra but not as tough mentally and could easily be distracted and had trouble controlling the ball
one thing was wrong with 2011-2012 system and that was a team built for possession
can't play counter attack, barely defended against Barcelona but couldn't hit them with counter attacks, not like EL Shaarawy team that was built for the counter attack but wasn't strong mentally against the pressure.

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Now the system is long passes to Giroud who would pretend to fight for the ball but not really, he is tall but not as good as Pazzini in heading
or try to pass it to Giroud to his feet and he will try to learn how to pass to his team mates
wait for magic from any player, Theo one time or Leao another or sometimes Giroud would do it
i read that Osihmen wasted 17 chances this season, wonder how far back should we go to count 17 wasted chances by the whole team
i remember Giroud wasted a chance against either Empoli or Hellas Verona then another 1 against Inter then 1 against Torino and nothing against Lecce, Roma, Monza, Lazio, Sassuolo, Atalanta and Fiorentina
Salemakers wasted one against Napoli last year in second leg game, Messias wasted 1 against Atalanta the one he shot with his right foot
Theo against Monza wasted one and another one against Atalanta
also Leao is number 1 in dribbling and CDK comes second and then Theo, you don't notice that because they take on one player then lose it to another
that happens because they go against a fully prepared team, standing right with no Milan player making them do mistakes like shown in the pictures i posted before
Salemakers was number two last season but wasted effort, you can't get past the whole defense to make it count
i can't be the only one noticing this, there must be others who talked about it but i can't seem to find them.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Sorry if the pictures are not clear
we can describe them only as to each his own, not what they like but type of defending system
Kalulu mostly applying high pressure on his own and leaving a lot of space, whether it is 4 minutes into Lazio game or 27 seconds into Sassulo second half
and against Fiorentina he turned into a RB when Messias cut into the middle so when Messias was dropped and lost the ball, Tomori found himself against 2 Fiorentina players and Thiaw was out of position for no reason
that was the chance that Mike saved and Tomori cleared on the goal's line
in Fiorentina's PK, Theo was covered by Tomori and then Thiaw was going towards Mike instead of covering Tomori
if he did cover him, Fiorentina's player would get rid of Tomori to be surprised by Thiaw and nothing would have happened
against Sassulo Gabbia applying high pressure for no reason, Kalulu not sure whether to mark Sassulo's only striker or set an offside trap while Calabria was watching and covering the offside
the second picture against Lazio, Dest standing right while Kalulu left him against two Lazio players
i just mean i don't want those gaps to show, i want the whole defense to cover for each other.
Yeah , but that is how we have been implementing our high pressure.
One of our CDs press high & the other CD cover the space.
Nothing new , it used to work & now its stalling.

IL Maestro

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah , but that is how we have been implementing our high pressure.
One of our CDs press high & the other CD cover the space.
Nothing new , it used to work & now its stalling.
Let me give you an example by Sassoulo's first goal
1678193526532.png

Salemakers had the ball on the right, Theo decided to advance and join the attack
Salemkaers lost the ball and it was played to Berrardi here all alone, who was covering Theo?
and if Berrardi slipped or failed to control this ball, does it mean that Milan's high pressure was working?
for a coach, Pioli should watch the games again and talk to each player about his mistakes but they keep on happening
it used to work when opponents feared Milan like they fear Napoli now
Napoli won against Milan 2-1 and lost against Inter 1-0, they are not that far from both teams 1 on 1
but they scare most of the teams, they can afford to do mistakes against Sassulo and Lecce and Cremonese
however Milan doing this bad shouldn't allow those teams to score, because once they do they believe they can win
Milan against Inter, Torino, Tottenham and Monza didn't use high pressure and it was going okay then Pioli went back to using it against Atalanta
against Fiorentina they didn't use it to score, that had a chance and it was saved
but the PK happened because Thiaw didn't cover Tomori, if Tomori didn't do this mistake the Fiorentina player would've beaten Thiaw as he was balanced and 100% able to dribble or score
if Thiaw went early to support Tomori, he would've easily cut the ball because then Fiorentina's player wasn't balanced as he just got rid of Tomori.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Tottenchicken will be roasted alive by us.

Deep Fried Pizza & Chips

Probably Maldini's fault
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Savićevićic, Baresi, Rikjaard, Pippo, Desailly
Fuck Frank Kessie #notmypresident

Lord Krunic has spoken:

Do you like the label of the new Kessie?

“I don’t have much to do with Kessie, I have done my season together with Franck. We miss Franck and strong players like him, but I consider myself to be myself, but I am Rade and I can help this team in my way. You all know that I can play in different roles and I am ready.”

Mic drop sucks!

gioiuzza

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fuck Frank Kessie #notmypresident

Lord Krunic has spoken:

Do you like the label of the new Kessie?

“I don’t have much to do with Kessie, I have done my season together with Franck. We miss Franck and strong players like him, but I consider myself to be myself, but I am Rade and I can help this team in my way. You all know that I can play in different roles and I am ready.”

Mic drop sucks!

“I am Rade”

gioiuzza

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I thought Krunic would play instead of Diaz, but Isma on the bench?

Really hope Kjaer starts and Tomori comes on at 60/70 minutes, but I don’t know if Pioli would bench Fik

Schedule