replay - https://i.imgur.com/Te8zocv.gifv

RioVsb2.gif

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
Very happy with his development lately.
I was a little surprised by the love he was getting a few months ago. As at that point, all I saw was a very talented player that is far from performing as well as he should be, given that talent.

However, I've seen a slow change which I'm excited about. In the past he had a tendency to be slightly lazy. It was as if he lacked hunger. He should be driven by goals/assists, not a fancy dribble. The fact he is literally always smiling is infectious though! Hopefully his focus continues to grow. He needs to constantly be thinking where should I position myself, where should I run. I heard Pioli screaming a well done to him for a particular move last night that didn't materialize. Pioli is doing a great job with him. When Zlatan returns, I'm excited to see how they link up again as he was setting up the big swede with a lot of goals.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Love this player!

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
He’s progressing, even as a LW. I don’t like him there, but he’s better than before.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
Had a great game IMO.

He got brought down for the 1st penalty.
He played Ibra in on goal in the first half with a great pass.
He had a great shot from the left that Skoruskpi had to parry.
His cross-field pass to Ibrahimovic led to the 2nd penalty.
He even came back and won the ball in the midfield/started counters.

Bravo Rafa, avanti cosi!

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
His understanding of positioning in Serie A has improved a lot it seems

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
This is a Balp.

The sooner we accept it the better, he'll play in Portuguese second division before 30.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The most extraordinary thing about him is his inability to lose his marker. Always a step behind.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
It's hard to lose your marker when you're planted like a tree.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
This is a Balp.

The sooner we accept it the better, he'll play in Portuguese second division before 30.

You are very quick to turn on young players. Leao needs the bench for abit but to say he will never make it is just stupidity

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
This is a Balp.

Even Balp didn't jog this much and put in the effort once in a while. Plus, he was the type of player that could decide a game by himself with a moment of brilliance.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Such a frustrating player. The quality is clear as day, the effort and workrate is not. The first 30 minutes I thought he was fine, even if we couldn't break Udinese down. He was tracking back, pressing well... what we need him to help the team with. But rest of the match? Literally invisible. He is a gamechanger, he has the tools to beat their defense solo but just doesn't try to receive the ball enough or do anything with it but backpass.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's like he can't anticipate anything because he plays with a 2 second input lag.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
The most extraordinary thing about him is his inability to lose his marker. Always a step behind.

He's never lost a marker from drifting into the right position as good box players do.

His idea of losing marker is getting the ball wide and then either running head first or using the edge of tbe pitch and shielding the ball past a close marker.

Playing central he could still potentially do the former during a counter attack but with the way Udinese setup ? He was dead on arrival.

I have sympathy for him. He was never meant to be vice ibra and rebic should have started cf. But then Theo leao become a massive liability on the left.

There's no way to square this circle until mandzukic returns.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
So you guys are saying Leao cant do...

538290462.g_0-w_g.jpg

These players have no room at Milan.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Give vape pen. Lagging issue will be solved.

Extended response time might be caused by excessive usage of grass. Looks like it

Speaking from personal experience

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's never lost a marker from drifting into the right position as good box players do.

His idea of losing marker is getting the ball wide and then either running head first or using the edge of tbe pitch and shielding the ball past a close marker.

Playing central he could still potentially do the former during a counter attack but with the way Udinese setup ? He was dead on arrival.

I have sympathy for him. He was never meant to be vice ibra and rebic should have started cf. But then Theo leao become a massive liability on the left.

There's no way to square this circle until mandzukic returns.

If that was the extent of his off-ball problems then I would be very satisfied with him.
But how many times have we seen opponents intercept the passes that were meant for him even out wide because they were a step ahead of him?
It's like his idea of losing marker is to make them try and somehow fail to intercept the pass coming his way.

He's always a step behind because he has a remarkably poor anticipation and awareness off-ball.
It doesn't end when he's the target of the passes. The problem extends in the other direction as well.
I'm not sure I've seen a player as bad as him at pressing and intercepting passes.
He's just generally bad at anticipating stuff when he doesn't have the ball at his feet.
Like Pioli said, it's like the lights are turned off until he has the ball.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
If that was the extent of his off-ball problems then I would be very satisfied with him.
But how many times have we seen opponents intercept the passes that were meant for him even out wide because they were a step ahead of him?
It's like his idea of losing marker is to make them try and somehow fail to intercept the pass coming his way.

He's always a step behind because he has a remarkably poor anticipation and awareness off-ball.
It doesn't end when he's the target of the passes. The problem extends in the other direction as well.
I'm not sure I've seen a player as bad as him at pressing and intercepting passes.
He's just generally bad at anticipating stuff when he doesn't have the ball at his feet.
Like Pioli said, it's like the lights are turned off until he has the ball.

That's always been his game. He has always looked to compete with an opponent in a 100m dash rather than a shoulder to shoulder. His early season success was because we could transition wings quickly and find him in space on the left as the opponents had lost their shape when we loaded up the right. (Ibras second goal vs inter in the beginning of the season)

Our transitions currently suck because we don't have bennacer around.

No one leaves that big a gap down the center so as a CF he is destined for failure unless we play a pure counter attack game.

He might succeed as an SS if the CF is some big guy who can hold up the ball and create space for him. But as a focal point we have no way of getting him in the game right now. He doesn't have the style to compete and we don't have the means to take advantage of his natural game there.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That's always been his game. He has always looked to compete with an opponent in a 100m dash rather than a shoulder to shoulder. His early season success was because we could transition wings quickly and find him in space on the left as the opponents had lost their shape when we loaded up the right. (Ibras second goal vs inter in the beginning of the season)

Our transitions currently suck because we don't have bennacer around.

No one leaves that big a gap down the center so as a CF he is destined for failure unless we play a pure counter attack game.

He might succeed as an SS if the CF is some big guy who can hold up the ball and create space for him. But as a focal point we have no way of getting him in the game right now. He doesn't have the style to compete and we don't have the means to take advantage of his natural game there.

Yeah, he thrives when teammates and careless opponents like Hakimi hand it to him on a silver platter.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Yeah, he thrives when teammates and careless opponents like Hakimi hand it to him on a silver platter.

Not necessarily on a silver platter (he's not as bad as andre Silva) but he thrives in 1 on 1s. Hakimi was busy with Hernandez, which ensured he got to run at dambrosio.

More than getting into space the most annoying thing he was doing as CF was dropping deep , receiving the pass from center back and then instead of turning and trying to move the ball forward he would pass it right back to the other center back. So even when when he decided to move it was wasted effort.

Pioli should go back to rebic CF and try Hauge at LW. At this point it won't make a difference.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not necessarily on a silver platter (he's not as bad as andre Silva) but he thrives in 1 on 1s. Hakimi was busy with Hernandez, which ensured he got to run at dambrosio.

More than getting into space the most annoying thing he was doing as CF was dropping deep , receiving the pass from center back and then instead of turning and trying to move the ball forward he would pass it right back to the other center back. So even when when he decided to move it was wasted effort.

Pioli should go back to rebic CF and try Hauge at LW. At this point it won't make a difference.

Busy with Theo? Hakimi wasn't even on the same flank.

Next time we face a parked bus I'd go with a 4-3-3 with Diaz as false 9, Rebic-Leao as wingers, Krunic-Tonali-Kessie midfield.
3 attackers that all can make quick turns and run at defenders.
I think a deeper starting point for Krunic will lead to a less crowded final third and more space for the front 3.
He will also have more horizontal defensive duties, which could offset having Theo and Leao in the team.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Busy with Theo? Hakimi wasn't even on the same flank.

Next time we face a parked bus I'd go with a 4-3-3 with Diaz as false 9, Rebic-Leao as wingers, Krunic-Tonali-Kessie midfield.
3 attackers that all can make quick turns and run at defenders.
I think a deeper starting point for Krunic will lead to a less crowded final third and more space for the front 3.
He will also have more horizontal defensive duties, which could offset having Theo and Leao in the team.

False 9 you say. :monto:

So we don't need a traditional hold up CF to survive?

That Ben Yedder idea I floated earlier last year for a more dynamic formation suddenly seems viable :proud:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
False 9 you say. :monto:

So we don't need a traditional hold up CF to survive?

That Ben Yedder idea I floated earlier last year for a more dynamic formation suddenly seems viable :proud:

Midget false 9 can do, as makeshift. Worth a try at least.
But as main plan? Pass.

I'm not as desperate for an aerial beast as I used to be in December though. I enjoyed watching Milan have a frontman that presses like a maniac and reaches over-the-top balls. Ideally we'll have a versatile striker who is not as static as Zlatan, or as unreliable as finisher and targetman as Rebic. Maybe Belotti?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Had a much better game today than in recent weeks.

Schedule