The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Gazidis wants to transform decision making into stats based.

Arsenal have statdna system that gives them suggestions who to sign. All they have to plug a desired player to fits a certain criteria.

For example they asked the system for a center back similar to thiago silva & Sergio Ramos then the system recommended they sign Mustafi for 40m.

Lol I think you're right. Wants to take all the heart out of the game just stats and money... cool, sounds fun to watch... real way to inspire passion for sure :thumbsup:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
who's ready for Rangnick revolution????

NwrLJDR_700wa_0.gif[

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Elliott will hire MassterMark and necro

Wrong, Elliott will never hire me after this season. Giampaolo, Bennacer, Krunic.. so many moves I’d have made that Maldini made. Elliott hates me at this point and my cuore rossonero card is probably being evaluated as we speak.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
to be fair to allegri, juve got a better midfield this year and it looks 100 times worse than last.

Precisely. Allegri will remain one of the most underrated managers of this generation.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
@Congo and @Tfat - Reports popping up about your posts concerning homosexuals. There's no need to discuss the sexuality of Herr Rangnick.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That may be true, but what’s the other solution? Revolving door of average managers? Guys like Pioli, Mihajlovic, Montella, Giampaolo, they’re all more or less in the same boat. A couple decent seasons between them, a few bad ones, fans debate whether their time at Milan will more like the good season or the bad ones on their resumes. They are ok managers who are quick to change the team and players at the first sign of failure, most don’t have distinct reliable systems in place the players can rely on.

That hasn’t worked, and like you and others have pointed out, they aren’t going to spend in the way a true top team should. Not until the club is bringing in more money. That decision is probably wise honestly, the club loses lots of money and was still going nowhere, even getting on the shit side of uefa. Innovation and a new approach is needed, undoubtedly. It’s different and yes risky, but it holds far more potential of actually changing the club then anything we’ve done for a decade, you have to see that.

I’ll even add, I’d like the team to take a different approach, but I’m on board with anything that’s a good idea as long as they commit to it. I believe the team should bring in more older, veteran players, solidify the team into the top 4, and then invest when the money starts to come in. Inter made top 4 with a very different team then what they’re fielding now, and a different manager as well. As soon as they spent two seasons in the Champions League, they changed their approach and aimed for a title, and they’re competing for it. I would love to bring in Thiago Silva, a guy like Modric, keep Zlatan etc, until we can aim higher. But that’s equally risky, and they cost high wages too.

Overall, yes there’s a lot of risk. But the longer the club sits in mediocrity, the longer it will take to rise again. I’ll take the approach of hiring a manager with a proven resume at building clubs in a certain manner, when you know the potential is to build a competitive team, rather than settle for a pragmatic, gattuso approach where the team is decent but the ceiling is low.

So acknowledging our current situation as what it actually is (poorly constructed thin team, a plainly mediocre coach, coasting along between places 6 and 8), let's assess what would be the best thing to do.

Assumption - Elliott cannot sell in the near future.

Now let's go to motivation. What is Elliott's driving motivation in running this club? They are a hedge fund and the only thing they want is maximizing profits when they sell the asset. So their primary motivation will be geared towards that over the next year or two (it has been so since last summer).

How can the they maximize profits? Route 1) by qualifying for CL, increased sponsorship money, stadium revenue. There's no stadium yet for revenue, there's no sponsorship money without CL, and that leaves only CL qualification in this route. Route 2) by cutting the wage bill, running costs, selling assets with market value. All the steps in this route are easily doable.

Now from Elliott's perspective, the need of the hour is pretty evident. Continue to do as much as possible of the route 2 requirements, while raising the profile of the brand to keep it attractive for a sale. The only possible route 1 scenario (CL qualification) has necessarily become a 'hope' now because anyone sensible in football knows that CL is not guaranteed without spending heaps of money. Elliott is a hedge fund, they won't go for hopeful bets, they'll go for guaranteed outcomes.

This is where we are now. For me, the reason to follow Milan is sporting success. I don't particularly care for a sleek, sexy wage bill full of 20-year old potential talents. So for fans like me, there really isn't nothing to get excited about in such scenarios except to wait until there's an eventual sale.

Coming back to your question now, I agree that there aren't many options available during this period which would guarantee a better outcome than the Rangnick option. With Elliott's approach and motivation that we discussed, it's 99% unlikely that Milan would get sporting success under their ownership no matter who the manager is. Essentially, it's the Arsenal scenario.

However, we need to acknowledge the risks. Clubs which want to stay upper mid-table in Serie A usually have fool-proof approaches to do so. Hire a coach like Pioli, build a team with a mix of experience and youth, go for a 55-65 point season. With a Rangnick situation though, that bare threshold is not a guarantee anymore. The team will be full of youngsters, I can guarantee that. For the first 6 months of the season, there will be a genuine chance for every other team in the league to beat a team like that. Rangnick is notoriously ego-driven and doesn't believe in anyone else interfering with his teams. So he will double down and not course-correct (like Maldini did with Pioli). All of this presents a real risk of a horrendous start to the season.

These are my thoughts at present.

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Rangnick is notoriously ego-driven and doesn't believe in anyone else interfering with his teams. So he will double down and not course-correct (like Maldini did with Pioli).

This is a huge assumption. I'd argue that his tactical flexibility when took over Leipzig before Nagelsmann proves he's able to adapt and learn from mistakes. The fact that he demands total control does not automatically mean he's stubborn and inflexible.

The idea of total control is to make sure every decision is made with the same intent and purpose, all towards a single goal. Once a system is built and the machinery is fully operational he can step back and hire a coach and delegate but right now we absolutely need a single vision for everyone to follow.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This is a huge assumption. I'd argue that his tactical flexibility when took over Leipzig before Nagelsmann proves he's able to adapt and learn from mistakes. The fact that he demands total control does not automatically mean he's stubborn and inflexible.

The idea of total control is to make sure every decision is made with the same intent and purpose, all towards a single goal. Once a system is built and the machinery is fully operational he can step back and hire a coach and delegate but right now we absolutely need a single vision for everyone to follow.

Sure, I'm not doubting his mental flexibility, I probably didn't elucidate it properly. I'm questioning the structural nature of any one-person decision-making system. Doesn't matter who the person is - Rangnick, Fergie, Maldini, Galliani.. whoever it is (and in whatever context or industry), a one-man decision-making system fundamentally comes with its own risks. Even when the person tries to change their mindset, ultimately it's still their logic system driving that change.

When things go wrong, it's a riskier proposition than a shared power system with multiple stakeholders.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sure, I'm not doubting his mental flexibility, I probably didn't elucidate it properly. I'm questioning the structural nature of any one-person decision-making system. Doesn't matter who the person is - Rangnick, Fergie, Maldini, Galliani.. whoever it is (and in whatever context or industry), a one-man decision-making system fundamentally comes with its own risks. Even when the person tries to change their mindset, ultimately it's still their logic system driving that change.

When things go wrong, it's a riskier proposition than a shared power system with multiple stakeholders.

Of course, but how have we been doing with multiple decision makers recently? Barbara/Galliani, MaldiniBoban/Gazidis, FassoneMirabelli/Sanity.

There's a rot in the system. Our kids have not been improving because we are directionless, constantly changing managers and entire playing systems. The RB players thrive without an Ibra because every one of them knows exactly what they need to be doing and have constant guidance from specialized professionals every step of the way. They walk onto the pitch and know exactly what they need to do, they're not lost and asked to improvise.

We have depended for so long on improvisation and 'special players'. Pioli squeezed a bit of that out of them but there's still a big need for structure in all areas of the club and we won't get that unless there's one person in charge to build that structure from the ground up.

Kaka06/07

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Saelemaekers
Thing is this move can work. It might not. There is risk. I wonder though what is the end point for this club for Elliot. I guess if they want to sell us for maximum profit they will want to leave this club in a great state.

Then the next question is that can Gazidis actually get the club to that point. And for Gazidis this a huge call and if it don't work he is out.

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
CorSera - Milan, Gazidis has decided: via Boban. For Elliott, Maldini can stay if he agrees to team up

The official is still missing, but Zvonimir Boban's farewell is now certain: the Croatian, who returned to Milan last summer, is leaving the club in via Aldo Rossi on the precise input of the ad Ivan Gazidis with whom coexistence is not never been easy and the recent interview of the former player with the Gazzetta dello Sport was the famous drop that made the vase overflow.

COMPROMISED REPORT - The Corriere della Sera reported it this morning, explaining that Zvone did not appreciate the invasion of the South African who contacted Ralf Rangnick without informing him or Maldini, i.e. those who are in charge of the sporting part of Milan. . That the relationship between the two was now compromised is also testified by this background told by the Milanese newspaper: in fact, the lawyers of the parties have been working for days to treat the severance pay of the Croatian, who seems destined to return to Fifa.

FUTURE MALDINI - With Boban away, it will be necessary to understand what the future of Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara will be. In particular, the arrival of Rangnick would obviously take away space from the former AC Milan captain, but Milan does not want to send him away a priori: it will be up to him to choose whether to leave the AC Milan club or to stay, but in the latter case he will have to understand obligations and duties to work in a team. On the other hand, the prices of other managers who are already working in via Aldo Rossi are rising, such as Almstad and Moncada, who are very close to Ivan Gazidis.

Hope he stays, although almost no chance

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Of course, but how have we been doing with multiple decision makers recently? Barbara/Galliani, MaldiniBoban/Gazidis, FassoneMirabelli/Sanity.

There's a rot in the system. Our kids have not been improving because we are directionless, constantly changing managers and entire playing systems. The RB players thrive without an Ibra because every one of them knows exactly what they need to be doing and have constant guidance from specialized professionals every step of the way. They walk onto the pitch and know exactly what they need to do, they're not lost and asked to improvise.

We have depended for so long on improvisation and 'special players'. Pioli squeezed a bit of that out of them but there's still a big need for structure in all areas of the club and we won't get that unless there's one person in charge to build that structure from the ground up.

You are missing my point, brk. We've been terribly run for several years now and things need to change, no one's disputing that. I'm pointing out the difference in risk between the worst-case scenario in a Rangnick regime and the worst-case scenario in something like the current situation. The ceiling is without a doubt better for a Rangnick regime. The basement is also worse for a Rangnick regime.

yungfreddy

Banned
Reaction score
Fire maldini...
Fire boban
Fire massara

Hire ragnick

The reason he wants total control is cause he has massive brain filled with ideas...conpared to our loudmouth low iq directors

yungfreddy

Banned
Reaction score
Ragnick coach/brautwurst sauerkraut consumer
Ibra assistant coach/sporting director/player
Yungfreddy head of scouting / TD

Cya in cl final

Maldini can stay as cheerleader but lets be honest..todays generation dont know him..so not needed
His wages can go to a real contributing football player instead..one picked by papa ralf<3

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I think once Boban and Maldini are gone we can say this club will never be back to what it was. Sure, maybe we can get back to winning ways for the league and reach CL etc but the identity of the club will shift - as it already has been - away from what we all knew and loved.

It's 2020 and something us fans just have to accept at this point. Changes is management and running of the club since Berlu's later years has just slowly shredded away at the foundation of the club. It's really sad to see. I'm not convinced even a sale to the right owner could turn it around outside of seeing titles again in a new-look Milan (best case scenario in the long run).

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I was just wondering... If they do cancel the rest of the season which honestly looks like a possibility if the virus continues spreading, what would happen to the Europe spots and the relegation spots? Anyone knows if there is a rule for that?

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
@Congo and @Tfat - Reports popping up about your posts concerning homosexuals. There's no need to discuss the sexuality of Herr Rangnick.

and you didn't ban them because they are your groupies

:lol:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
So acknowledging our current situation as what it actually is (poorly constructed thin team, a plainly mediocre coach, coasting along between places 6 and 8), let's assess what would be the best thing to do.

Assumption - Elliott cannot sell in the near future.

Now let's go to motivation. What is Elliott's driving motivation in running this club? They are a hedge fund and the only thing they want is maximizing profits when they sell the asset. So their primary motivation will be geared towards that over the next year or two (it has been so since last summer).

How can the they maximize profits? Route 1) by qualifying for CL, increased sponsorship money, stadium revenue. There's no stadium yet for revenue, there's no sponsorship money without CL, and that leaves only CL qualification in this route. Route 2) by cutting the wage bill, running costs, selling assets with market value. All the steps in this route are easily doable.

Now from Elliott's perspective, the need of the hour is pretty evident. Continue to do as much as possible of the route 2 requirements, while raising the profile of the brand to keep it attractive for a sale. The only possible route 1 scenario (CL qualification) has necessarily become a 'hope' now because anyone sensible in football knows that CL is not guaranteed without spending heaps of money. Elliott is a hedge fund, they won't go for hopeful bets, they'll go for guaranteed outcomes.

This is where we are now. For me, the reason to follow Milan is sporting success. I don't particularly care for a sleek, sexy wage bill full of 20-year old potential talents. So for fans like me, there really isn't nothing to get excited about in such scenarios except to wait until there's an eventual sale.

Coming back to your question now, I agree that there aren't many options available during this period which would guarantee a better outcome than the Rangnick option. With Elliott's approach and motivation that we discussed, it's 99% unlikely that Milan would get sporting success under their ownership no matter who the manager is. Essentially, it's the Arsenal scenario.

However, we need to acknowledge the risks. Clubs which want to stay upper mid-table in Serie A usually have fool-proof approaches to do so. Hire a coach like Pioli, build a team with a mix of experience and youth, go for a 55-65 point season. With a Rangnick situation though, that bare threshold is not a guarantee anymore. The team will be full of youngsters, I can guarantee that. For the first 6 months of the season, there will be a genuine chance for every other team in the league to beat a team like that. Rangnick is notoriously ego-driven and doesn't believe in anyone else interfering with his teams. So he will double down and not course-correct (like Maldini did with Pioli). All of this presents a real risk of a horrendous start to the season.

These are my thoughts at present.
Good post.

Nevermore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I was just wondering... If they do cancel the rest of the season which honestly looks like a possibility if the virus continues spreading, what would happen to the Europe spots and the relegation spots? Anyone knows if there is a rule for that?

They should play behind closed doors.
What they do right now looks like trying to save jube match day revenues.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Elliott is a hedge fund, they won't go for hopeful bets, they'll go for guaranteed outcomes.

The ceiling is without a doubt better for a Rangnick regime. The basement is also worse for a Rangnick regime.

So your current thoughts are that they are incorrectly viewing Rangnick as a guarantee whereas it is in fact a massive gamble?

Agreed.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They should play behind closed doors.
What they do right now looks like trying to save jube match day revenues.

It's not just theirs... Many clubs are against playing behind closed doors. With EURO coming and many italian teams still in UCL/EL they are quickly running out of options when to play. If they cancel another round there may not be appropriate time to play these games at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule