Official: Ignazio Abate Thread

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
tumblr_m4q07hAV7E1rnfdl2.gif

C'mon, bro. Y U NO ANSWER?

BRO_2.jpg

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Had a good game last night. Deserves to keep his spot at right back.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yes. One assist definitely negates hundreds of wasted crosses over two full seasons.

Robinho once scored a goal. That means he's a fantastic goalscorer.

Fiero, you don't visit this thread enough. Here is the meaning of everything.

1 good cross is a MOTM performance.
1 assist means he is better than Cafu.
Shutting down C. Ronaldo and Eto'o with Gattuso help means he is an elite defender.
Nesta shut down Messi means Abate did it. :lol:
Abate cross can't bypass the first man or ends up in row Z means Ibra and Pato movement was poor.

Ignazio Abate best FB in the world:proud:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a good game last night. Deserves to keep his spot at right back.

:thumbsup:

Shutting down C. Ronaldo and Eto'o with Gattuso help means he is an elite defender.
Abate cross can't bypass the first man or ends up in row Z means Ibra and Pato movement was poor.

still miles behind tassoti

Fiero

Reaction score

:lol:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, for example:

3 mistakes vs Milito in 3 different games is no big deal.
Bale was on the bench means Abate owned him.
Abate not getting any assists is because our forwards can't head the ball.
Pato's 2nd goal in the 3-0 derby was from an accurate Abate cross. :lol:

Run Abate run!

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria

I'm not saying he's the best FB in the world. If you actually had eyes and a brain to comprehend the sensational irony in my post, I'm just poking fun at the fact he claims that Abate had never made a decent cross. I therefore made his entire argument invalid by offering PROOF that he did in fact make a valid cross once. I didn't mention in my argument that Abate was a world beater, I just wanted to make what he was saying into bs, which by formal logic I did.

So ya. :thumbsup: :o :lol: :star: :star: :star:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

:star::star::star::star::star:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
People seem to forget Abate's natural position is a winger and is still learning to develop himself as a RB. Yet people only judge Abate on his crossing ability opposed to his defensive abilities. Played a huge role in Milan's Scudetto winning team in the 2010/2011 season being selected for the Serie A team of the year, current Italian International, yet he is a terrible player. Return of the Niff Nuffs. :o

Messi is a shit player because he is inept at slide tackling. Mediocre at best. :o

zizousama

Milanisti Forever
Reaction score
acerвιc wιт;1392054 said:
People seem to forget Abate's natural position is a winger and is still learning to develop himself as a RB. Yet people only judge Abate on his crossing ability opposed to his defensive abilities. Played a huge role in Milan's Scudetto winning team in the 2010/2011 season being selected for the Serie A team of the year, current Italian International, yet he is a terrible player. Return of the Niff Nuffs. :o

Messi is a shit player because he is inept at slide tackling. Mediocre at best. :o

A winger that cannot cross or dribble! Go figure! Since he is a winger as you say shouldn't attacking be easier on him? Abate is very dedicated and hardworking, but lacks talent in many aspects. We should not give him more than he deserves. He's very average going forward or even less than average. His defending is good on the other hand.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
acerвιc wιт;1392054 said:

You are just contradicting yourself right there

You say Abate's natural position is a winger, Isn't a winger's main attributes crossing and dribbling?

I am one of Abate's biggest supporters on this forum. But he is walking a thin line. I genuinely expected him to build to improve on the Scudetto season but instead he regressed. He still makes the same dumb mistakes over and over again

Part of me think that he has become complacent due to his position on the team not being under threat. We have no other natural RBs on the team (bar an 18 yr old) and it is one of the reasons why I wanted us to sign another player capable of playing there last summer. Hopefully De Sciglio will keep improving and wake his complacent ass up

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score

You say Abate's natural position is a winger, Isn't a winger's main attributes crossing and dribbling?

I am one of Abate's biggest supporters on this forum. But he is walking a thin line. I genuinely expected him to build to improve on the Scudetto season but instead he regressed. He still makes the same dumb mistakes over and over again

Part of me think that he has become complacent due to his position on the team not being under threat. We have no other natural RBs on the team (bar an 18 yr old) and it is one of the reasons why I wanted us to sign another player capable of playing there last summer. Hopefully De Sciglio will keep improving and wake his complacent ass up
couldn't have said it better. Abate is severely lacking motivation. he needs to be benched.

R&B Milan

THE BIG BOSS
Reaction score
Cassano,Ibra etc need to learn Abate how to pass and cross. If he does learn it there is one thing left Abate needs to do he needs to stay calm and needs to take his time when he is making decisions when he plays, he does not do that against Milito because he had all the time to clear the ball and he did it too early and then ...you know what happened..

nuttela

Super Bludfam
Staff member
Reaction score
cassano and ibra dont have to teach abate shit. its the coaching staffs job too... tassoti helped him defensively - now someone needs to help his offensive side

asd

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Too many haters on Abate, he does a good job. Messed up twice vs Milito and that's it. Complaining about his crossing? Any defense would know Abate is the only player on our team who can cross. Besides Aquiliani who else in Milan crossed? His man marking is excellent, so is his pace. He's not a fucking Center Back, Sweeper, or Defensive Mid.

PS. Ever seen Robben and Ribbery? They are examples of terrible crossers, terrible players infact, their both so bad. Abate > Robben+Ribbery

Last edited:

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
Dude is 25 yrs old

How much more does he need to be 'taught'

To learn what?

He's the typical defensive RB that we see these days right now, he is not special but he's as good as many other top clubs RBs.

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A winger that cannot cross or dribble! Go figure! Since he is a winger as you say shouldn't attacking be easier on him? Abate is very dedicated and hardworking, but lacks talent in many aspects. We should not give him more than he deserves. He's very average going forward or even less than average. His defending is good on the other hand.

Abate wasn't gifted with sublime talent, he's gotten where he is today primarily on hard-work, dedication and passion. Abate himself candidly expressed this in several interviews in the past. So, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone else.

A winger is known for his pace, ability to cross and dribble, but in saying that, Abate was mediocre at best, a fringe player for a long time at provincial clubs. He had his moments but never really showed enough to prosper or develop in that position.

He was identified by Leonardo as a suitable right back for Milan -- something which is rather odd considering Leonardo's heavy emphasis on attacking. With the help of both Tassotti and Allegri, Abate has improved out of sorts. A quite remarkable rise in the space of a couple of years. No one can deny his improvement. Now, Abate is a fullback NOT a wingback. A fullback is more defensive orientated and is where Ignazio's strengths currently lie.

For someone who has been playing as a winger during his junior career even a couple of years ago, his transition to right-back is nothing short of extraordinary. It's a completely different position. To learn the (tactical adjustments, movements, combinations with your defensive partners, positional sense, etc.) isn't something you master in space of a couple of years.

He has performed and proven himself against the likes of Eto'o, Bale, Messi and C.Ronaldo -- we're talking world class opposition here! Twelve months ago, people were touting him as one of the best right backs in Europe. He had a disappointing year last season, but then again so did many of our players. Factoring the various permutations within Milan's backline last season also doesn't aid your game. Being made aware of Abate's idiosyncrasies, we know he will work as hard as anyone to improve as a footballer and make up for the disappointments of last season.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As footballers, you're constantly learning. The moment you cease to believe you require improvement is the day you might as well give the sport away.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

I actually think he was very good first half of season, minus the one barca game which is to be expected. But more or less same quality as last year/reliable. Infact whoscored had him on team of season for first half (when they did it in december, ahead of maicon/maggio etc.). Not that it's be-all end-all, but fact he rated highest means he was surely in the conversation at that point

when he came back from injury he was atrocious. I'm not quite sure why. But I expect him to bounce back.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
acerвιc wιт;1392420 said:
Abate wasn't gifted with sublime talent, he's gotten where he is today primarily on hard-work, dedication and passion. Abate himself candidly expressed this in several interviews in the past. So, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone else.

A winger is known for his pace, ability to cross and dribble, but in saying that, Abate was mediocre at best, a fringe player for a long time at provincial clubs. He had his moments but never really showed enough to prosper or develop in that position.

People need to recognize-crossing from RB and RW are different. Abate in torino and empoli actually had 1 of highest 'cross conversion' percentages in Serie A. He played mostly RW and would receive balls in counters. Use his pace to get behind the defense, cut in a little and land a cross.

From RB, it's different. You are pushing up and crossing from deeper and usually a set defense. Look at dani alves for ex? When he was used at RW forward, his crosses were much less effective than overlapping.

-

I still maintain, our crossing issue is 85% related to forwards.

Zlatan is a lazy bastard and his offball movement is laughable. Pato is our best header but never players. Robinho/Cassano? Not exactly guys to make that run.

Consider back when we had sheva/pippo/crespo. All players who made constant runs and thus could be picked out better on crosses

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I think the reason abate didn't have as good a season as he did during the scudetto one is primarily because ...

1) No Gatusso.
2) Not as much of playing time with Nesta, the leader of our defence for the past 10 years.
3) vb0ss :fp:

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
OF course the crossing issue is realted to forwards as much as anyone else. As senatore said and as we saw in Euro, our strikers were masters in headers but not anymore. Ibra never goes for the header unless it's a corner and the rest are not the type. Cassano has a good header but he wil rarely get in position unless it's a set piece.

Abate should learn to A) Shoot. Yes he gets lots of openeings but they always end in a miserable way becuase he won't/can't shoot.

B) Be more ready for different offensive scenarios. He does lots short passes and 1-2s but they're not productive.

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme
Average player.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
@Senatore It cant be 85% the forwards fault if 95%+ you hit the first defender.

@Acerbic I also hate these splitting of hairs - Any decent fullback can cross the ball, if they have pace or not. Also because he is poor at attacking doesnt make him a fullback and not a wingback. He is simply a mediocre winger that was converted to play fullback for a team that didnt want to spend.

I really dont think his defending is that good (when it comes to positioning and read and react) it is just that he is blessed with pace and he is determined so when he does concentrate he can keep attackers at bay and when he does get beat he has the ability to get back because he is faster than the attacker more times than not. When he is asleep then the bonehead plays come about. He cant afford to be on autopilot because he isnt talented enough to stroll along waiting for key points in matches.

I dont have no problem with him being here because the reality is the only one that will take the spot is De Sciglio and he may not get the playing time to make that happen. Abate needs to find a way to be more effective in the attacking phase (whether that is learning to cross from deep or playing the quick cut back pass to the top of the box which he has done in the past) and he needs to stay sharp as much as possible on defence.

Schedule