Official: Stefano Pioli Thread

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Management have let him down by not buying a new GK. There's nothing he can do.

Yeah sure, and the fact that he failed to make the other 10 players play any type of coherent football this season is who's fault?

He clearly lost the dressing room from the "N" time in his career.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Our team isn't good enough to beat this seasons Napoli to the Scudetto but it's more than good enough for 2nd place. The injury to Mike has affected the team massively but Pioli should be able to deal with it.

Last week was poor, today was the worse Milan performance I can remember. Sassuolo are an average team, if we had come up against a CL team this could have been 10-0. After they scored their first goal every attack looked like they would score. We were shambolic.

I can't see Pioli turning this around and if he is still in charge against Inter it's likely to be an absolute hammering. If we play like we did today against Spurs they may well get double figures.

The club haven't helped with the quality of our replacement keepers and if there was any money available we would have purchased a decent 2nd keeper this january. We are now out of the CL places and on this form I can't see us winning another game all season.

If there was any chance of getting Tuchel or Potchettino this January the club needs to make the move. Our progress comes to an abrupt end if we don't get CL football and I'm convinced Pioli isn't up to it.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
If he isn't sacked tomorrow, than he is definitely staying until the derby at the very least.
Cheers Einstein :yikes:

In truth, if we get rid, who else is around? I want to judge potential alternatives.

Abate, no thanks. Why would he get us top 4 instead of Pioli?

Ludwig

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

In truth, if we get rid, who else is around? I want to judge potential alternatives.

we are already in top 4 (at least before sassuolo game), so the task is quite simple for the new coach, just keep milan in the top 4. Even Giampaolo wouldn't concede 5 goal against relegation team. Keeping Pioli is more dangerous because he will lead us downwards with his stubborness and unwillingness to change strategy

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score

I'm sure we can find plenty of coaches that would atleast have enough tactical acumen so we dont get smacked by trash teams like Sassuolo.

I mean, this dude himself came in as a caretaker didnt he? Jusy get a caretaker manager until summer and then we will see.

Just maintaining the current status quo out of some warped sense of loyalty is idiotic. It would be one thing if we were improving. But we keep hitting new lows with each fucking game.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i would take italiano or De zerbe instead of this clown.

however people who saying he can't do shit, no he can, he can at least try to play with 3 Midfielders to cover more spaces, and remove 1 of the 2 useless positions up front(AM, RW) he can play 4321, 4411 rather than 4231, but he is as rigid as a dead dinosaur

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
I think Pioli's earned the right to lead the team back to normalcy. It's a run like the one we are currently on that shows how utterly ludicrous winning the Scudetto last year was. It was a team, with the exception of Bayer Leverkusen I think, with the lowest average age of its playing 11 among the big five leagues. We had no right to win the league but we did it through team work. We overachieved last year, and on the evidence of the past few matches, we're underachieving this year.
The management fucked up big time in the summer by going for many young, unproven talents they could get on the cheap instead of the few proven hands that can steady the ship when it matters. Even the best players need to have competition for places in order to get the best out of them. We have shit back-up players and a horrendous injury record that has deprived us of our best players for the majority of the season. And they screwed up again in January by not signing anyone.
I really hope Pioli turns things around because of what he gave us last year. But if he can't get across his message to the players any longer, that would be a stunning decline in his relationship with them.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Pioli's earned the right to lead the team back to normalcy. It's a run like the one we are currently on that shows how utterly ludicrous winning the Scudetto last year was. It was a team, with the exception of Bayer Leverkusen I think, with the lowest average age of its playing 11 among the big five leagues. We had no right to win the league but we did it through team work. We overachieved last year, and on the evidence of the past few matches, we're underachieving this year.
The management fucked up big time in the summer by going for many young, unproven talents they could get on the cheap instead of the few proven hands that can steady the ship when it matters. Even the best players need to have competition for places in order to get the best out of them. We have shit back-up players and a horrendous injury record that has deprived us of our best players for the majority of the season. And they screwed up again in January by not signing anyone.
I really hope Pioli turns things around because of what he gave us last year. But if he can't get across his message to the players any longer, that would be a stunning decline in his relationship with them.
Nothing about it was ludicrous.
We've earned the most points in the league, and we've actually won most of the head 2 head matches against top 4 teams in the league. (cough cough - Inter)
That's hardly a fluke result.

It's Pioli's stubbornness that's slaughtering us right now.
Our defenders are out of form.
Tata has a nightmare spell.
Tonali and Ben are way below their usual standards.

And Pioli continues playing like usual instead of trying a 3-4 setup midfield.
He actually made things worse by killing the players' confidence with his dumb decisions.

Last edited:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Nothing about it was ludicrous.
We've earned the most points in the league, and we've actually won most of the head 2 head matches against top 4 teams in the league. (cough cough - Inter)
That's hardly a fluke result.

It's Pioli's stubbornness that's slaughtering us right now.
Our defenders are out of form.
Tata has a nightmare spell.
Tonali and Ben are way below their usual standards.

And Pioli continues playing like usual instead of trying a 3-4 setup midfield.
He actually made things worse by killing the players' confidence with his dumb decisions.
I didn't say it was a fluke, it's just that we had a much weaker team on paper compared to other contenders but we managed to win regardless. Pioli deserves credit for that.
But I agree he's being too stubborn. He doesn't show enough flexibility, be it with the formation or out of form players, and keeps doing the same thing over and over again. For his sake I hope he can turn it around.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I fully support you padre.

The team's situation isn't your fault.

It was Paylows decision to consistently make the team weaker by forcing a poor ass wage structure, by investing in garbage, and then not selling players who had mentally checked out and finding proper replacements for them.

The expectations rose each year while your team became worse.

And now as you try to make the best of a bad situation they comin for you. :head:

You will go down as our best manager in the post Ancelotti decades.

CDarius

Milan Icon
Reaction score

It was Paylows decision to consistently make the team weaker by forcing a poor ass wage structure, by investing in garbage, and then not selling players who had mentally checked out and finding proper replacements for them.

And now as you try to make the best of a bad situation they comin for you. :head:

Finally someone that actually has a brain instead of a pickle.

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

I was very mad when management appointed him instead of bringing back Rino or finding a better coach. I still believe he is not the best that Milan can have in the long run. However, realistically, he is our best choice in the current situation.

He did not change our game plans and the starting 11 after the initial drop in form and losses. I believe his intention was to maintain the team's identity and give the poor performers confidence so they can regain form.

Fans criticized him for that and wanted him to be "courageous" and change things fundamentally. They asked him to bring order to the defence by sticking to the basics and play a low block.

He actually tried radical changes and was courageous enough to experiment with formations and squad to find a better balance. This has not worked, mainly because our bench is not of great quality.

Now, the same group of fans and media are criticizing him for exercising crazy changes. Poor guy can't catch a break.

We should start to realize that football is played by players (not coaches), who happened to be humans (not robots). They might go through difficult times. One problem might have a cascading effects that could reinforce the initial problem. I am a teacher in real life and I know how difficult it is to maintain performance of a group of young individuals with all their specific personal issues. Look how Klopp is struggling at Liverpool and this is not his first time to have this problem.

All, please take it easy and let the man do the job. Milan needs all the fans' support to turn the corner. It requires patience.

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Right. It's not Pioli's fault, the team is shit.
They won the Scudetto and were second in the league before WC by pure accident. :proud:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Did he not make the team more compact at the end of last season where we didn't concede in like 7 games?

Funny you say he is incapable of change when he just played a derby with a new formation.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did he not make the team more compact at the end of last season where we didn't concede in like 7 games?

Funny you say he is incapable of change when he just played a derby with a new formation.
It's cool that he tried a new formation.
It only took him the worst lose steak in Milan's history to make that change. :proud:

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
They had a coach who was on a positive run and didn't have to change anything.

Change - is something he is incapable of doing. :proud:
A troll detected here, but I am falling to it anyway!

Who created the positive run in the first place? As far as I remember, the club was in a huge mess when he took the role. He did not even have the fan support when he started. He created his own legacy.

I remember that he experimented a lot before he settled on his successful game plan. In my view, he has never been afraid of experimentation. He has many weaknesses but he is not stubborn or conservative at all. On the contrary, he is TOO adventurous, in my opinion. His Milan have played the best football in Italy last year. We were even better than Napoli the first half of this season before we lost our key pieces.

Last edited:

BillyTheKid

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
By the way, I never thought I would ever defend or even support Pioli. For me, he has never been a great coach. I never wanted him at Milan. After all, he was a Juve player and an Inter coach. But I feel like to defend him in these moments because the kind of criticisms he receives is irrational and unjust. And, I believe it is in our best interest to remain united and support the whole club including its coach at least until the end of the season. Then we can evaluate the situation and make a wiser (or less harmful) decision.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
By the way, I never thought I would ever defend or even support Pioli. For me, he has never been a great coach. I never wanted him at Milan. After all, he was a Juve player and an Inter coach. But I feel like to defend him in these moments because the kind of criticisms he receives is irrational and unjust. And, I believe it is in our best interest to remain united and support the whole club including its coach at least until the end of the season. Then we can evaluate the situation and make a wiser (or less harmful) decision.

I agree, the ideal situation is that we get out of this situation via Pioli. I always supported Pioli because he is a genuinely good man and a positive influence on many people. I think he has a lot of room to improve, like you said, to be more efficient perhaps but I am eternally grateful for how he turned Milan around from an eyesore to a dominant force in Italy again.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
I wasnt pro Pioli before and im certainly not pro Pioli now. But im totally against throwing him under the bus. He is limited, and we were aware that as soon the 'Ibra wave' vanishes, Pioli would have trouble to deal with the situation.
The situation arrived, lets hope for a turn around, but i got say, must be very dissapointingn for the squad to read in the press that your coach waiting for a 40 years old player come to the rescue again.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You going to answer the other point?
What is there to answer to?
I have nothing to complain about relating to last season.
The system he used worked.

It's his crisis management that worries me. Or should I say the absence for crisis management combined with his stubbornness.
And his stubborness was always there for everyone to see even last season - using players in certain positions for many games while they totally sucked.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A troll detected here, but I am falling to it anyway!

Who created the positive run in the first place? As far as I remember, the club was in a huge mess when he took the role. He did not even have the fan support when he started. He created his own legacy.

I remember that he experimented a lot before he settled on his successful game plan. In my view, he has never been afraid of experimentation. He has many weaknesses but he is not stubborn or conservative at all. On the contrary, he is TOO adventurous, in my opinion. His Milan have played the best football in Italy last year. We were even better than Napoli the first half of this season before we lost our key pieces.
Why do you you think I am trolling?
Shocker - I was actually a Pioli fan. He did great last season and managed this team well until the WC break.

The reason why it's a huge risk to continue with him is his stubbornness and slow reaction to crisis. Like I said earlier.
It took him 3 shocking losses to try a new formation.
And even that choice is questionable.

I hope that by the time he finally figures it out, CL football will not be out of reach.
Winning the title and then failing to qualify for CL could be another fun "anti record" we set this year.

Schedule