Stam to go to Milan - agent Van Ginkel

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
Dutch magazine and site VI.nl confirmed exclusively that Stam signed for Milan for 2 years.

VI.nl said:
Jaap Stam voor twee jaar naar AC Milan

16/2/2004 21:34

EXCLUSIEF
Jaap Stam speelt de komende twee seizoenen voor AC Milan. De 31-jarige verdediger van Lazio Roma heeft op hoofdlijnen een akkoord bereikt met de titelverdediger van de Champions League. 'Het verschil tussen vraag en aanbod is dermate klein, dat de club daar wel uitkomen, aldus Stams zaakwaarnemer Henk van Ginkel deze week in Voetbal International.

AC Milan en Lazio Roma gingen rondom de onderlinge bekerduels de besprekingen aan over de centrumverdediger uit Kampen. Volgens Van Ginkel zijn de besprekingen tussen Stam zelf en AC Milan, zodra de clubs tot overeenstemming zijn gekomen, nog slechts een formaliteit. 'Voor mij staat vast dat deze transfer doorgaat', aldus Van Ginkel.

De 31-jarige Stam verklaarde afgelopen december in een interview met VI nog dat hij zijn carrière graag in Nederland wilde afsluiten. In ieder geval na 2005, de zomer dat zijn contract in Rome zou aflopen, liet Stam toen weten. De transfersom waarover Lazio en Milan onderhandelen, zou rond de vijftien miljoen euro bedragen.
Only the two clubs have to come to an agreement. But the asking price and the offer don't vary much. So a transfer is close. - Agent Van Ginkel

Ain't this something? If this transfer is really confirmed, I'll be more than happy although I also preferred a young defender

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I can't believe it + keep hoping the deal won't materialize as both clubs haven't agreed terms yet.

PLEASE.... Milan... RECONSIDER !!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
This would be great. Be honest, the games we play and the competitions we want to win, they're aren't many defenders around who would fit the bill at the moment

The younger defenders we always mention would be good but there is an unknown quantity about them. I could've sworn we would have got Alex or somebody like that. This is far better.

Milan just don't seem bothered that they will have to bring in a new defender in a couple of years time. It's not my money so fuck it, who cares?

And you can't really say that Stam can't do what he could do five years ago. He's still fast and with Nesta and Maldini, he i still the best around.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
savicevic10 said:
And you can't really say that Stam can't do what he could do five years ago. He's still fast and with Nesta and Maldini, he i still the best around.

ja, Nesta really enjoyed playing with Stam in Roma. He has constantly encouraged Milan to see this one through. There is already an existent chemistry there. Stam also has a mighty free kick.....I am sure some of you saw his blast this past weekend... :eek:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The defence will be fantastic next year. Do you think they would play Stam right back? Or have Nesta and he in the centre and Maldini at left back?

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
hmmmm......depends on the tactics that we employ. Maldini might be a little too old to continually make offensive forrays up the left flank like he did for over a decade, but on the flip side of that coin.....that is simply not Stam's game.

I could see just playing with those 3 back and having the right back (whether that be Cafu or Kaladze) making forrays while the three of them just man the rearguard.

Either way....whether you like Stam or not, think he is too old or whatever......a player like him really makes your backline infinitely better. He has won much in his club career and I think he will be inspired to play because afterall....lets face it....at Milan, he will actually be payed to play football. :tongue:

Reaction score
can u translate to me what the meaning of you write in dutch language.
please i really want t know!!!!!!!!!!!!

and hope milan can get puyol in the next few day or months

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
(teams); Milan, Barca, Man Utd, South Melbourne
Stam is a world class player.

Kaladze Maldini Nesta Stam

would be better than any back 4 in the world.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
I can't believe it + keep hoping the deal won't materialize as both clubs haven't agreed terms yet.

What is wrong with you... Stam is a class player. World class.
One of only a handul of plauers which would make our defence.

acmilan1988

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
What!!! Another 30s !!!!! No way!!!!!

We had enough buying players who already past their peak time. Look at Cafu and Redondo......

So I think we better buy two or three YOUNG great defenders like Bonera, Alex or Mancini!!!

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I for one have half a mind asking Galliani why he ever considered Stam in the first place..i too don't wish Milan to sign someone as old and past his prime as Jaap Stam..the other half is just numb with this transfer news..on how reliable it is..and a small part is trying to convince me to be a bit more optimistic...

I don't know what to say..but at the moment..it still feels like.."Galliani, what the hell man???"

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne said:
Passion for *9* said:

Nothing's wrong, dude... absolutely nothing. I just don't hail every stupid move Milan makes as fantastic, you know... and this would be a stupid move in my books. Milan's backline will be OLD + STATIC, and where do we put him in the first place ? Well, maybe it hints at Maldini resigning at the end of the season. Wonder why nobody has considered this yet... Maldini as a leftback ? Time doesn't stand still + even legends get past their prime.....

Can't say it often enough, the 8 million Galliani wants to fork out for him could be invested in a YOUNG player. Juve have decided the price is too high + have dropped out of the bidding race, Inter want Mexes.... Why oh why are Milan dirigents so dumb ? :o

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
Melbourne said:
Passion for *9* said:

Nothing's wrong, dude... absolutely nothing. I just don't hail every stupid move Milan makes as fantastic, you know... and this would be a stupid move in my books. Milan's backline will be OLD + STATIC, and where do we put him in the first place ? Well, maybe it hints at Maldini resigning at the end of the season. Wonder why nobody has considered this yet... Maldini as a leftback ? Time doesn't stand still + even legends get past their prime.....

Can't say it often enough, the 8 million Galliani wants to fork out for him could be invested in a YOUNG player. Juve have decided the price is too high + have dropped out of the bidding race, Inter want Mexes.... Why oh why are Milan dirigents so dumb ? :o

But he is a World Class player. He is in a eltie group of footballers which would be welcomed into every club.
If u watch Lazio games he is as fast as he ever was, has amazing vison for the game and would be a great right back / cover for the center back postion.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
acmilan1988 said:

We had enough buying players who already past their peak time. Look at Cafu and Redondo......

So I think we better buy two or three YOUNG great defenders like Bonera, Alex or Mancini!!!

god almight. Redondo bashing again. Best on grounds isnt good enough for you hey?
Stam isnt over the hill. Now and the next 2 seasons he will be in his prime.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm sorry, but if you think Stam joining Milan is a bad thing . . . well i don't know what to say . . . :head:

I don't know, try watching some Lazio games.

Alex, Mexes, Kompany let someone else introduce them to Serie A. Not us. We've been down that road.

There aren't that many strong candidates around.

We've just bought the arguably best defender in the world for two seasons and you're all pissed off?

Barremans

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MvB, Maldini, Rino, Pirlo and Cocu
great news. he may be a bit old, but he is a great defender. I f we also buy a young defender, that would be even better

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
mad4milan said:
How reliable is that Dutch mag?
it's reliable, they always get news early.

In English
channel4.com said:
Stam set for Milan - agent Tuesday 17 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaap Stam’s agent has revealed that the Lazio player is on the verge of a summer move to Milan.

The Dutchman is expected to quit the capital club at the end of the season and the Rossoneri seem to have beat Inter and Juventus for his services.

"Jaap has already agreed terms with Milan," Henk van Ginkel told the ‘Volkskrant’ newspaper.

"Juventus and Inter were also interested in the player but he only wanted to join the European champions."

Although van Ginkel is confident that the transfer will go through, he admits that the two clubs have yet to agree a fee.

"Lazio and Milan must now look to reach an agreement by the end of this month, otherwise it could collapse.

"If that happens then Stam will see out his contract with Lazio (which expires in 2005) before returning to his homeland.

"He isn’t interested in long drawn out talks. He has his family to think of and also wants to concentrate on the European Championships."

Speculation suggests that Stam, 32, has agreed a two-year deal with the San Siro outfit.

Stam had already stated on his personal website that he wanted a move to one of the Milan clubs rather than Juventus.

Passion for *9* said:
Can't say it often enough, the 8 million Galliani wants to fork out for him could be invested in a YOUNG player. Juve have decided the price is too high + have dropped out of the bidding race
Nope, Juve made the highest bid. But Stam didn't wanted to go to Juve.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
savicevic10 said:
I'm sorry, but if you think Stam joining Milan is a bad thing . . . well i don't know what to say . . . :head:

I don't know, try watching some Lazio games.

Alex, Mexes, Kompany let someone else introduce them to Serie A. Not us. We've been down that road.

There aren't that many strong candidates around.

We've just bought the arguably best defender in the world for two seasons and you're all pissed off?

I'm not denying he has some qualities as a defender.

I said I'm a) biased cos of his drug offense (and he looks like he's still on some stuff, he he :tongue: ;)) and b) hiring a 30+ is not what I consider rejuvenation. It's pretty obvious that I've been been advocating the necessity of maintaining a good mix between young + experienced since day 1 of my appearance in these forums + won't reverse an opinion that I consider right just because everyone else does.

He will cost money, he will demand a starting position, he will block the integration of future players for 2 years, his signing will mean we fork out money for a defender twice instead of going for the young but already experienced/adapted... He would only be at disposal next season, none of us can predict what his form will be by that time. It's a short-term patch-up... nothing else. To think with him will come the scudetti galore is just... naive.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wrong K-J... Italian sources say Juve are not willing to spend. They have a bit of trouble keeping their books balanced (remember, they are the only ones who even try in Serie A) + apparently base their decisions on economics these days. Good for them, they save the money AND steer clear of adding another old geezer to their backline.

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
Passion for *9* said:
Wrong K-J... Italian sources say Juve are not willing to spend. They have a bit of trouble keeping their books balanced (remember, they are the only ones who even try in Serie A) + apparently base their decisions on economics these days. Good for them, they save the money AND steer clear of adding another old geezer to their backline.
Jaap Stam's official site news:
http://www.icons.com/JS/diary.html

And VI.nl (the site that was first with posting this exclusively news) reported in a new news bulletin:

VI.nl said:
Dat Juve hem de hoogste aanbieding deed, kon Stam niet van gedachten veranderen.
translation:
That Juve made the best offer couldn't change Stam's mind.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
OK, there's one side claiming this + the other side claiming sth else + none of us does really know the truth (or don't you know how media work + how media-savvy players are these days ? ;))

I'd say he opted for Milan cos they offered maybe less money to Lazio but more to him... Players (and agents ! :tongue:) always choose the best deal, esp. at that age, but they wouldn't portray themselves as money-grubbers in the media of course + rather tell a sentimental lil story about how much they loved to play with Nesta... or sth along these lines.... ;)

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Yes he is old but you must admit that he is great.I’ve been watching the average rating from the foreigners who play in Seria A and he has one of the highest ratings.Maybe we need to find a younger player but I also want to see Stam in AC Milan.The defense will be great.
Stam Nesta Maldini Kaladze.
And maybe Galliani is thinking that if we get Stam no one can beat us we will win everything and get a lot of money and then buy other players.Plus we will have a back up if someone gets (Paolo or Nesta) get injured.I think we should get him.I don’t care if he is old.He is a good player and that is what counts.Maybe we will get Stam and another young player?

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne said:
acmilan1988 said:

god almight. Redondo bashing again. Best on grounds isnt good enough for you hey?
Stam isnt over the hill. Now and the next 2 seasons he will be in his prime.

It's no bashing, it's being realistic. You guys point out how old Pippo is on every occasion... don't you ? (and he's 30, not 32 or 34) ;) No matter how you're gonna twist'n turn it, Stam won't be in his prime when he joins Milan... he will be on the decline. FACT.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm all for rejuvenation and have often cited Juve as an example to follow, but Stam for me is a special case.

He's a defender first of all. Think of all the successful teams in Italy since you can remember and they have all had experienced back lines Maldini, Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi, Ferrara, Montero, Bergomi, Aldair, Vierchowod (sp?) etc etc all played well into their 30s and were successful.

Secondly, and this is kind of related to Montero who looks on his last legs, Stam looks nowhere finished. He's now even better than he was at Man Utd. It might be for two years but I tell you the success we will have will more than pay back whatever we spend.

You buy young in the right areas. Forwards. People like Kaka who has been absolutely fearless this season.

You buy young but talented defenders and you end up like Roma, having to suffer 2 years of Zebina until he finally gets his act together. We don't need to do that.

I'd love us to be savvy in the financial sense but when your President is worth billions, I guess no one at Milan feels the need to make a profit on players. Stam is the best there is.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
They also know that it is getting cheaper to buy players now. If this was 3 years ago Stam would have cost close to 20 million or more, to buy a talented youngster for a replacement, same or more. In all likelihood in two years when Stam leaves us we'll pick up a replacement for Stankovic-like-peanuts.

Buying young defenders who you think are good is risky. I already mentioned Zebina. Juve also thought they had something with Legrottaglie didn't they? :D

Whatever we pay for Stam we're paying for a cert.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
End of story. No one needs to add anymore. I'm right :D

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
Passion for *9* said:
It's no bashing, it's being realistic. You guys point out how old Pippo is on every occasion... don't you ? (and he's 30, not 32 or 34) ;) No matter how you're gonna twist'n turn it, Stam won't be in his prime when he joins Milan... he will be on the decline. FACT.
like savicevic stated, prime ages differ per position

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Stam: I've made NO deal with Milan

Jaap Stam dismisses reports claiming he has already agreed a summer move to AC Milan but refuses to rule out the possibility he will be leaving Lazio at the end of the season.

http://www.icons.com/home.html

Hm, has he misquoted himself before, or changed his mind, or is it some sort of smokescreen (wonder for what) ? :o

Schedule