The Rumour Commode XXXIX: A Cardinal Sin

Do you think Leao will renew?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It worked perfectly fine for more than two years, at least for Serie A standards. I don't think he suddenly got found out, especially if it were so easy as you say. Nah, this is more than just "he got found out".
It was built on confidence and unity. We don't have either right now. We don't move together as a unit anymore. We used to, there's no doubt about that. We used to do it really well, both our high press in their buildup, and our relentless counterpress when we lose the ball. We're now still high up, but we don't press as well and they easily get by Giroud's weak press and then around Leao and suddenly they're running through the middle. Our counterpress with 4 attackers that don't work together also suddenly went to shit.

I have a feeling that once we play a midfielder instead of Brahim/CDK, and swap Giroud out for either Rebic, CDK or Origi, that our press will suddenly be a LOT better.

We're not going to fundamentally change the way we play. That's an admission of failure of the entire plan. We can still play a young team in a high and direct and attacking system. The problem we're facing now is that we need to readdress the balance since we can't commit to the extreme interpretation of that strategy anymore, because of the sudden loss in confidence. We need to get back to basics, take fewer risks, figure out why we've lost our edge in pressing (remove Giroud!) and try to make sure we're not as easily cut open when we lose the ball. A few wins and clean sheets and things will quickly get back to normal.

What was happening this month is that we kept forcing the extreme playstyle that required super high confidence, and when we conceded early (because we don't believe in ourselves, in the press, in our keeper, in each other) then we spiral downwards. Our balance was off, because we can't justify the risk we used to take anymore.

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roger Federer is the GOAT
The issue with this is that you are now thinking that it is impossible for Pioli to get back to the form which only 8 months ago was leading us to the title with 86 points.

While 'nobody can do any worse' may be true in terms of the fact that we've not won in 6 or whatever, it's also true that only last season Pioli was leading us to the title and only a few months ago we were neck and neck with Napoli. And yes, we have faltered, but the fact that we're only 2 points behind second AFTER all of that, does suggest that he's not the only one struggling.

If clubs acted as we are suggesting, Limone would have been sacked by Inter, Mourinho and Sarri would have gone, Allegri would have been sacked and Gasp too. Literally every other manager except for Spalletti has gone through these periods of form and yet they're still here and you're not asking for them to be sacked now.

Outside Allegri, the others were struggling but they didn’t get humiliated like we have now. Players actually tried to put in effort. The matches of the coaches you mentioned weren’t consecutive defeats as per. We on the other hand, lost the last 3 matches conceding 12 goals lol.

He’s losing the plot and big time. I see our players not putting the effort required. That’s a sign of a locker room distrust. Something bad happened. And when that happens, then the coach needs to go.

One has to look at his history as well, it’s very similar. He burns the teams to the ground and gets sacked. I doubt it’ll be different this time.

Last edited:

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It was built on confidence and unity. We don't have either right now. We don't move together as a unit anymore. We used to, there's no doubt about that. We used to do it really well, both our high press in their buildup, and our relentless counterpress when we lose the ball. We're now still high up, but we don't press as well and they easily get by Giroud's weak press and then around Leao and suddenly they're running through the middle. Our counterpress with 4 attackers that don't work together also suddenly went to shit.

I have a feeling that once we play a midfielder instead of Brahim/CDK, and swap Giroud out for either Rebic, CDK or Origi, that our press will suddenly be a LOT better.

We're not going to fundamentally change the way we play. That's an admission of failure of the entire plan. We can still play a young team in a high and direct and attacking system. The problem we're facing now is that we need to readdress the balance since we can't commit to the extreme interpretation of that strategy anymore, because of the sudden loss in confidence. We need to get back to basics, take fewer risks, figure out why we've lost our edge in pressing (remove Giroud!) and try to make sure we're not as easily cut open when we lose the ball. A few wins and clean sheets and things will quickly get back to normal.

What was happening this month is that we kept forcing the extreme playstyle that required super high confidence, and when we conceded early (because we don't believe in ourselves, in the press, in our keeper, in each other) then we spiral downwards. Our balance was off, because we can't justify the risk we used to take anymore.
These are the things I tell myself to keep from despairing.

The possibility that we’ve re-entered the banter era is almost too much to handle.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We don't have anyone on the right side that can hit the long diagonals into space for Theo and Leao. We used to do this a lot with Kjaer, and sometimes with Bennecer. Calabria can't do it. Kalulu can't, and neither can Saelemaekers or Messias; the players that are mostly played on the right side these days.

The advantage of playing CDK there is that he CAN play those passes with his left, diagonal into space for Theo/Leao. Even against Sassuolo he did it a few times. He's also good enough to hold the ball and turn during our buildup, something that is becoming less and less effective with Messias and Saelemaekers. They now just pass it back or fail an attempt at dribbling. He can pass around the box in a way none of our RWs can. He can drift into other zones a lot better than them. He's a LOT better as an outball. Long passes into CDK have a much higher chance of being kept in play than any other RW we got. He can run into space, and he can drop into midfield.

I really don't understand why the fuck Pioli never tries him in the RW, especially now that we're finally playing a 433 (where there's more space to drift centrally). It's crazy. I was there against Juve where he played at RW for a while, and he was great! We were pressing well as a unit, and he looked dangerous. It's absolute insanity to not try CDK there, just because you stubbornly think that he's more effective at AM; so effective that you only started him once since October and then yanked him off at halftime.

This needs to change.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
These are the things I tell myself to keep from despairing.

The possibility that we’ve re-entered the banter era is almost too much to handle.
We haven't entered a banter era and anyone who's saying that doesn't know what they're talking about. Adding players to this current side and playing the same way won't change a thing. Sassuolo intercept a ball and run forward and they're outnumbering our defenders every time. This is a tactical failure, built on an inability to understand that we are mentality incapable of playing the way we used to. Pioli finally admitted this so we will see a change. Simply adding a midfielder will solve most of that problem. We'll still concede most shots on target, but the idea is that we'll have fewer of them to deal with now.

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Imagine if Pioli throws this lineup out there vs Inter. It'll be a bloodbath. Right back into the banter era.

45CA2A87-E98E-4986-A3F4-061B9CD8431A.png
This my derby formation. GK is Vásquez but the app doesn’t even have his name, but anyone is better than Tata at this point. I have Calabria on the bench b/c he forgot how to play football since he came back from injury. I’m not an expert at all and hell this lineup could be BS, but it’s definitely better than this gibberish posted on Twitter.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
We haven't entered a banter era and anyone who's saying that doesn't know what they're talking about. Adding players to this current side and playing the same way won't change a thing. Sassuolo intercept a ball and run forward and they're outnumbering our defenders every time. This is a tactical failure, built on an inability to understand that we are mentality incapable of playing the way we used to. Pioli finally admitted this so we will see a change. Simply adding a midfielder will solve most of that problem. We'll still concede most shots on target, but the idea is that we'll have fewer of them to deal with now.
Well...the bulk of the signings in the last two seasons have been straight outta the banter era playbook. We also keep replacing better players with absolute bozos.

Combine that with fuck all money to spend, if we dont improve soon we are definitely heading towards there again. Our only savibg grace is Serie A is rubbish.

And no, just adding another midfielder into the formation wont just magically make us play better. Formations means absolutely nothing if the coach continues to be tactically clueless and cant adapt.

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
If we want to build something called foundation, we have to start with the coach. Sack Pioli immediately, all in Tuchel and restart from there, save the cash for the coach, drop all the Zaniolo, Osorio bs, all of them cannot save us but a good coach can. We surely dont have that bad of the squad.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The split with Leao

Shock, another problem for Milan

He wants to halve the release clause, but the Diavolo says no

Breakdown in talks and sparks fly with Maldini

Bennacer KO: no derby

Last day of the Mercato let’s gooo

Cloren

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

To add more salt into the wounds

yungeddy

Banned
Reaction score
Before the WC we had the opportunity to sell for 100
Did maldini fuck this up?

gioiuzza

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
this Isma and Rafa news to start the day :cry:

the renewal stuff could all be drummed up by the press because they don't have any actual info but January is almost over and no signature...

theduck7

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think Leao will renew this is starting to turn into a circus, maybe we should just get ASM in, he might be more consistent with a better attitude?

theduck7

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I see De Zerbi saying he wants to return to Italy at some point, can see him being a serious option next season if things don't improve with Pioli

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Milan Doing bad just means I Focus More on other aspects in my life but still I watch the games but with very low expectations. This way I am still chill about everything And when things turn for the better I can become more invested again.

For the love of god I cannot understand the trolls here or the doomsayers who panic and cry all the time for something beyond their control

voom

Banned
Reaction score
I see De Zerbi saying he wants to return to Italy at some point, can see him being a serious option next season if things don't improve with Pioli
He is doing awesome job at Brighton. I don't think he will leave England that soon.
Things will not improve with Pioli.

Bagheera

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Please end this miserable month. Now bennacer injured. Second thoughts end this miserable season.

Most negative period I can remember, including the banter years and mid table finishes.

As they say, its the hope that kills you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule