Underappreciated Players

Fiero

Reaction score
What makes someone a football star? It's a mix of a lot of things, which only few can boast having them all. Some players have abundance of talent, and showed flashes of brilliance, and at times looked destined for stardom, yet they never quite made it. They'll always be known and remembered by football fans, but not as one of the greats. A weak character, or a bad move, or even lack of marketability could be the reason; but that's not the point of this thread. Here we just celebrate the genius of the... underappreciated players.

I'll start with (and this might not be a popular choice):

Juan Sebastian VERON.

veron_179342g.jpg

1089324.jpg

juan-sebastian-v&amp%3Beacute%3Bron-image-2.jpg

juan_sebastian_veron.jpg

Last edited:

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Good threat man.

I wonder what ever happened to Denilson? Where does he play now?

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Denilson play's in Australia i think. I'm sure i remember him moving to Newcastle Jet's or something similar.

And i know that Jardel played for them, i'm not getting them mixed up.

Fiero

Reaction score
"Suppose, however, he had been a 26-year-old in 2007, arriving at Old Trafford as the perfect signing to complete United's new approach. A Verón in his prime could have shaped the more studied play that Ferguson had been seeking. He would have flourished in deep midfield, showing off his technique and occasionally supplying a spectacular moment."

How Juan Sebastián Verón guided Manchester United to European domination

"I first knew Juan when he was four or five, when he used to come around the club with his dad.

"Then I started to watch him play as he got older - it was obvious even then that he was going to be a great player.

"But what I remember most was that after every training session he came here into this office and sat down and asked questions about football.

"He wanted to know about players, about teams about everything.

"Without doubt he and his father were two of the best players this club has ever had."

The making of Veron

"Veron has also pushed himself into a key role for Maradona’s Argentina, acting as the midfield organizer, using his patience to wear down defenses and hold up the ball before springing the likes of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, or Angel Di Maria."

The importance of Veron to Diego's side

Last edited:

Fiero

Reaction score
Juan-Sebastian-Veron.jpg

Here's a great blog post about Seba (Pirlo who?!)

veron-300x400.jpg

Ferguson on La Brujita:

"Seba is a marvellous player. He has wonderful imagination, he always wants the ball and has a great engine."

"Seba has been fantastic. The one thing about Seba Veron is that he is always positive and I think it's great to see a player with such belief in himself."

And of course, my personal favorite :D "...On you go. I'm not fucking talking to you. He's a fucking great player. You are all fucking idiots."

Eriksson admired him a lot as well, signed him three times with the three Italian teams he managed (Sampdoria, Parma, and Lazio). As well as Mancini, who got him at Inter and tried to persuade him to move to Man City last January.

veron.jpg

Another GREAT article on Veron, by World Soccer

Last edited:

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Andriy Shevchenko, and Filippo Inzaghi
Denilson play's in Australia i think. I'm sure i remember him moving to Newcastle Jet's or something similar.

I dont think either play in Australia atm but I know that Jardel did play for the Jets but that was a few seasons ago

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
I cant remember players I forgot.
Good Thread nontheless. I shall just read things :tongue:.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Verón has been dominant in South America. Estudiantes is the most powerful team in Argentina, the title holder of Libertadores and lost his place in the semifinal this year in the last minutes of a tough match against Internacional. And Verón is the driving force of this team with his leadership and creativity.

And he also has been called up to Argentina National Team very often. He doesn't play in Europe anymore, but hardly is a forgotten player.

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
another great player chewed up and thrown away by the shit stains from spain :proud:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Dario simic

David Suker

Fiero

Reaction score
I cant remember players I forgot.
Good Thread nontheless. I shall just read things :tongue:.

He doesn't play in Europe anymore, but hardly is a forgotten player.

No, I didn't mean the players you forget. I mean the players that at one time or another seemed destined for greatness, and were among the world's stars. Yet, now they're out of the spotlight.

Verón has been dominant in South America. Estudiantes is the most powerful team in Argentina, the title holder of Libertadores and lost his place in the semifinal this year in the last minutes of a tough match against Internacional. And Verón is the driving force of this team with his leadership and creativity.

And he also has been called up to Argentina National Team very often.

I'm glad someone from South America responded. If I'm not wrong before he returned Estudiantes were very average, correct? I know they had good times in the 60s when they beat Bobby Charlton's Man United 1-0 with a goal by Veron's father. But when Veron started his career with them, they were in the 2nd division and he participated in their promotion. So to lead the club then to become the best in Argentina, win the league, and even the Copa Liberatadores is unreal.

He used to spend a lot of money on the club when he was playing in Europe. And now he does even more... not only does he spend money, but also he negotiates deals. He improved the stadium and the training facilities etc...

What a player. This club obviously means a lot to him and his family, but to lead it like that to the top is a miracle. They also almost beat Barcelona in last year's final of the FIFA Club World Cup.

He doesn't get ANY of the credit he deserves. I mean compare him to a player like Totti who uses financially struggling Roma to take all their cash and claims he loves them. He refuses to retire, and doesn't lead by example... and we all know his childish acts, besides getting injured a lot. Yet the media made him an example for loyalty, and forgot all about Veron.

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
You just made me feel guilty over loving that spoiled Italian brat :cry:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad someone from South America responded. If I'm not wrong before he returned Estudiantes were very average, correct? I know they had good times in the 60s when they beat Bobby Charlton's Man United 1-0 with a goal by Veron's father. But when Veron started his career with them, they were in the 2nd division and he participated in their promotion. So to lead the club then to become the best in Argentina, win the league, and even the Copa Liberatadores is unreal.

He used to spend a lot of money on the club when he was playing in Europe. And now he does even more... not only does he spend money, but also he negotiates deals. He improved the stadium and the training facilities etc...

What a player. This club obviously means a lot to him and his family, but to lead it like that to the top is a miracle. They also almost beat Barcelona in last year's final of the FIFA Club World Cup.

He doesn't get ANY of the credit he deserves. I mean compare him to a player like Totti who uses financially struggling Roma to take all their cash and claims he loves them. He refuses to retire, and doesn't lead by example... and we all know his childish acts, besides getting injured a lot. Yet the media made him an example for loyalty, and forgot all about Veron.

Yes, all that is true. And also he has a great personality. It's hard to see an Argentinian player respected in Brazil, but when Estudiantes beats Cruzeiro in the Libertadores final, everyone agreed that no other person deserves more than him to receive "La Copa". The media in Europe has forgotte him, but in South America he is an idol, and respected everywhere.

Also, his football skills like passing, vision, game reading, bravery... All that remain the same despite his age. He can't run like a 20 years old anymore, but when he has the ball in his feet, he still can made some miracles.

Something similar happened with Riquelme, he was dominant in Boca for years, yet he was forgotten in Europe.

Fiero

Reaction score
You just made me feel guilty over loving that spoiled Italian brat :cry:

Yeah, he's irresponsible. In my opinion, the main reason he never left Roma is that he's the king there. He can make many mistakes and no one will ever judge him (most recent being the Balotelli kick). He proved time and time again that he can't be trusted, even with the Azzuri. In the World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004, when he was the main star, he let the nation down.

Yes, all that is true. And also he has a great personality. It's hard to see an Argentinian player respected in Brazil, but when Estudiantes beats Cruzeiro in the Libertadores final, everyone agreed that no other person deserves more than him to receive "La Copa". The media in Europe has forgotte him, but in South America he is an idol, and respected everywhere.

Also, his football skills like passing, vision, game reading, bravery... All that remain the same despite his age. He can't run like a 20 years old anymore, but when he has the ball in his feet, he still can made some miracles.

Well said man. I remember him saying before the Copa Liberatadores final "I would trade everything I've won for this title." He sometimes strikes people as being lazy (like in World Cup 2002 when whole Argentina blamed him), but that's just his game... like Riquelme (who got the blame in 2006). They're both not fast, but have amazing technique and vision, which means when they age (like Veron now) they won't lose their quality since their game depends on skills and mental attributes, not physical ones.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Sebastián_Verón#cite_note-20

Something similar happened with Riquelme, he was dominant in Boca for years, yet he was forgotten in Europe.

Riquelme is definitely one of the players I intend on mentioning here. :tongue:

Meanwhile, here's some Veron goals at Lazio. Including a corner kick goal, and an amazing free kick against Roma.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

And he also has been called up to Argentina National Team very often. He doesn't play in Europe anymore, but hardly is a forgotten player.
+1. How is that a forgotten player? Veron was a wanker. Hated his corners during the derbies.

And this thread is going like 'quotes of Paul Scholes'.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This should get renamed 'Hugely talented players that never quite dominated like they should have.'

The players aren't forgotten, just had varying success at big clubs.

Salvatore Schillaci is a forgotten player, Veron certainly is not.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Alvaro Recoba

Great talent, dynamite left foot but he failed to make his mark.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Alvaro Recoba

Sooooo overrated for scoring great goals.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Another forgotten player that comes to mind is Rivaldo...He plays somewhere in Asia now...

Another player is Silvian Wiltord. He plays somewhere in some third league club in France now.

Fiero

Reaction score
Alvaro Recoba

Oh Il Chino, what a wasted potential. Thanks to playing at Inter Merda of course. Probably the best Inter has seen of him was his and Ronaldo's debut, when he came on in the last minutes to score two extraordinary goals.

Probably the best and most famous article written about Recoba: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/nov/23/sport.championsleague1

Sums him up perfectly.

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Denílson career has gone downhill since he left Bétis. Last news I hear he was released from some "Serie C" (Third Division) team. Before that he played for a team in Vietnam (?!). But I think the guy was overrated from the day one.

There is some folkloric history in Brazil about his transfer to Betis. São Paulo said to his agent to go to Sevilla and try to sell him for 8 millions or more. When he comes to the meeting, Bétis president said: "Well, I'll be honest with you. We are a poor team and can't pay more than 30 millions for him". The agent tought it was a joke at first, but then release the man was just plain stupid. And Denílson was really sold to Bétis for 30 millions this day. This was the biggest sell in the history of brazilian football at the time.

Jardel played at some very low rated clubs in Brazil after he recovery from his addicition to cocaine, but never find his form. I don't know were he is now...

Fiero

Reaction score
There is some folkloric history in Brazil about his transfer to Betis. São Paulo said to his agent to go to Sevilla and try to sell him for 8 millions or more. When he comes to the meeting, Bétis president said: "Well, I'll be honest with you. We are a poor team and can't pay more than 30 millions for him". The agent tought it was a joke at first, but then release the man was just plain stupid. And Denílson was really sold to Bétis for 30 millions this day. This was the biggest sell in the history of brazilian football at the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA :D

Denilson had amazing dribbling skills, I've never seen someone like that except Ronaldo at his prime and Ronaldinho.

I think he was a party maniac, right? (but then again which Brazilian isn't? :tongue:) Perhaps he wasn't a great all round footballer, but in terms of talent he was out of this world. Lazy and overweight... wasted talent. What's wrong with the Brazilian mentality?! The players seem to come from very poor backgrounds so the moment they see money, it means party, drinking, and women.

Rivaldo plays in Uzbekistan, at Bunyodkor, coached by Scolari. Such a shame his career went downhill at Milan. One of the stars at the World Cup 2002, how his career went on a free fall the season he joined Milan is beyond me. One day he was winning the World Cup final, and less than a year he wasn't even on the bench in the Champions League final.

Fall out with Van Gaal and unimpressive stint with Milan seem to have tainted his reputation forever. :head:

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,

Denilson had amazing dribbling skills, I've never seen someone like that except Ronaldo at his prime and Ronaldinho.

I think he was a party maniac, right? (but then again which Brazilian isn't? :tongue:) Perhaps he wasn't a great all round footballer, but in terms of talent he was out of this world. Lazy and overweight... wasted talent. What's wrong with the Brazilian mentality?! The players seem to come from very poor backgrounds so the moment they see money, it means party, drinking, and women.

Rivaldo plays in Uzbekistan, at Bunyodkor, coached by Scolari. Such a shame his career went downhill at Milan. One of the stars at the World Cup 2002, how his career went on a free fall the season he joined Milan is beyond me. One day he was winning the World Cup final, and less than a year he wasn't even on the bench in the Champions League final.

Fall out with Van Gaal and unimpressive stint with Milan seem to have tainted his reputation forever. :head:

Someone is dying to jump in with a comment there:D Come out, come out wherever you are:D:tongue:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

His game was all about pace + dribbling. When the defenders studied him, he started to have trouble with his dribble and when he lost his pace, he become a useless player.

But to be fair, he made some good performances in Seleção in 97-2000, and also in São Paulo before he went to Europe.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Denilson was known for his bicycle move and he would do the same move over and over again and at eventually people saw how to stop him. Probably the high price tag was too much of a burden for him...

Fiero

Reaction score
His game was all about pace + dribbling. When the defenders studied him, he started to have trouble with his dribble and when he lost his pace, he become a useless player.

But to be fair, he made some good performances in Seleção in 97-2000, and also in São Paulo before he went to Europe.

My most vivid memory of him was when he came on in the World Cup 2002 final to waste time with his skills. He's pretty much a 'joga bonito' street player, but it was nice watching his skills.

Fiero

Reaction score
He played for the most loathed national team worldwide, but he was a joy to watch.

Steve MCMANAMAN.

steve.jpg

article-0-0033FB4C00000258-998_306x460.jpg

He epitomizes the change to modern football into purely business, which was started by Florentino Perez. The guy just had a terrific debut season, capped with an amazing goal in the Champions League final against Valencia. Then Perez arrives, buys Figo for $56 million, and ruins Macca's career.

What a player he was, definitely England's best winger in the 90s. Unappreciated, underrated, and now forgotten... :head:

Last edited:

Schedule