Week 18: AC Milan (5) vs Genoa (2) - 06/01/2010

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Dida: 6 - Had very little to deal with and had little chance with the two goals, which both came from defensive lapses.

Abate: 5.5 - Completely asleep for the first goal, which allowed Sculli to head home. Needs to play in a more advanced role as he isn't disciplined enough in a positional sense to play full-back.

Nesta: 6.5 - Constantly tight on Suazo to contain the threat, although he gave possession away cheaply to the striker who then scored the visitors' second goal

Thiago Silva: 7 - Like Nesta he was close by Suazo throughout, and he was in the right place at the right time to give Milan the lead.

Antonini: 7.5 - Set up Ambrosini for the first penalty and sent in a fine cross for Borriello's second goal. Could well stake a claim for a first team place with more performances like tonight.

Gattuso: 6.5 - Played in a more withdrawn role and showed just why when he found himself through on goal in the second half, only to shoot at Amelia.

Pirlo: 7 - Almost never gave the ball away tonight and combined well with his midfield team-mates to dictate the pace of the game. Juric and Milanetto were trailing in his wake.

Ambrosini: 8.5 - Won both penalties, worked very hard to win the ball back and supported the strikers well. Involved in the third goal and could even have scored himself.

Beckham: 7 - Some excellent long range passing and crossing. Slotted straight back into the team and was given a standing ovation on his substitution.

Borriello: 9 - Should have scored early on but made a good header to set up Ambrosini in the build up to the second penalty, and scored a brace in the second half including a superb volley.

Ronaldinho: 8.5 - Poor first penalty, but had the confidence to step up for the second. Superb ball to set up the third goal and was showing some touches of real class.

Substitutes:

Flamini: 6: Fairly quiet showing but looked to get forward even when his side were winning comfortably.

Huntelaar: 6.5 - Scored his first goal at San Siro, his third in Serie A for Milan, with a well dispatched penalty.

Jankulovski: 5.5 - Barely got involved in the final 15 minutes but valuable playing time as he recovers from injury.
goal.com

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Borrigol a 9!?1 Goal.com is le shit.

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
I really don't think Dinho deserved an 8.5

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Digital (Satellite) HD (Upscaled) on 42" Pioneer Kuro :o

:tongue:

Probably something similar at the pub but I was too sick.

Nevertheless technology grows like every second ...

milan1st

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Pato, Boateng, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Fabregas, Essien, Ganso, Seedorf
Ambrosini behaved like a true captain today, taking the ball from Ronaldinho and giving to Hunt, which was important to boost his moral.

Grande Capitano :star:

Last edited:

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Christ, will Dida ever have a good game again? He's hardly made any saves while we're conceding so many goals.

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
Dida: 6 - didn't have much to do, no real chance against either goal good stop on the free kick

Abate: 5 - blame him for the first goal, idk what he was doing at the time

Nesta: 5.5 - played well at first, but slacking was embarassing

Thiago Silva: 7 - good defense, good runs (though he seems to get a little carried away on the runs). He's always composed when he gets a shot on goal and seems to always be in a great position

Antonini: 7 - great runs up the side, first goal was partly his fault. it's a hard choice but i think i would sacrifice some defense for a more attacking squad

Gattuso: 5 - didn't really do much. had a few decent depossessions, lost the ball once in a bad spot, had two decent runs though

Pirlo: 6.5 - didn't do all that much/all he is capable of, but wasn't a liability.

Ambrosini: 8.5 - Won both penalties, worked very hard to win the ball back and supported the strikers well. Involved in the third goal and could even have scored himself. (goal.com said it perfectly - i will add though, he is a card machine) - giving hunt the 3rd pk was beautiful

Beckham: 5.5 - his crosses were nice, had a very very close shot on goal. He clearly adds something to the team, but something just wasn't right. He didn't link up well with abate and so the right side wasn't strong at all compared to the left

Borriello: 8.5 - his first attempt from becks cross was perfect just unlucky, he was right where he should have been to support antonini for the second, and handled the ball beautifully for the third.

Ronaldinho: 7 - continues to show some skill, he doesn't give up the ball too often, the first penalty confuses me still it was just sooo soft

Substitutes:

Flamini: didn't see him do all that much

Huntelaar: his first few games he would get the ball and always lose it going to goal. Seemed to have a more tactical mindset this game. pk was pure klass

Jankulovski: honestly, i didn't notice his influence until he got hit

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I just watched the extended highlights on TV.From what i watched our defense was kinda bad today bar Silva.I cant expect stellar performances from Antonini&Abate who i dont consider to be Milan quality but Nesta should have done better.

I hope this was just a fluke cause it was the first game after the holly days and he will be back to his best against jube.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Christ, will Dida ever have a good game again? He's hardly made any saves while we're conceding so many goals.

I hope he improve, especially next game with Jube; May God Bless You "Beemer".

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
I just watched the extended highlights on TV.From what i watched our defense was kinda bad today bar Silva.I cant expect stellar performances from Antonini&Abate who i dont consider to be Milan quality but Nesta should have done better.

I hope this was just a fluke cause it was the first game after the holly days and he will be back to his best against jube.

our defense wasn't great, but you have to admit our attacks were more frequent and better than before and the best defense is a good offense. Hopefully against juve we can replicate our attack with a more solid defense

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Yeah well at half time in Istanbul it was 3-0 also, since then I hate slacking profoundly
The loser coach aint here no more so ............ no worries ;)

Wow what a game , wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu fuckinhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Sexy football & orgasms in da house.
Abate did make a mistake but ppl should remember that Zambro + Oddo also did that & I still would take Abate + Anto over em.
TS + Nesta were solid even if with the mistake that Nesta did.
Pirlo + Gatu with an average game.
Dinho + Bex were good while Ambro was amasing minus the 2 pathetic dives.
Bori :eek: + :star:

I congratulate + thank Leo 4 scavenging a team out of Milan.
Giving chances 4 players like Abate + Anto.
Reviving players like Ambro , Pirlo , Seedorf & Dinho.
Love u man.

Am loving this team.......

Something 2 think about : put Inter instead of Milan while getting 3 penalties with 2 from dives + 1 offside goal (Bori's second) & what will we have ---- > CONSPIRACY :o

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
ambro -8.5
borri - 8
silva - 7.5
dinho -7
becks - 6.5
dida - 6.5
anto - 6.5
nesta - 6(solely cause of that fuck up)
abate -5.5
pirlo-5.5
gattu - 5.5

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
he was playing as a LW, and btw Janku on top form > our fullbacks combined.

Yay, in top form, there you are asking something... few years ago he was maybe the best leftback in the world during a season, but can we expect him to return to that form?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Yay, in top form, there you are asking something... few years ago he was maybe the best leftback in the world during a season, but can we expect him to return to that form?
can we say the same about pirlo? :conf: genuine query btw i dont expect an unbiased answer

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
can we say the same about pirlo? :conf: genuine query btw i dont expect an unbiased answer

Pirlo is still essential player in Milan team, but he is not as good as I know him as in the past.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

he was out during most of the 2007-2008 season, and I thot he was good last season baring a few bad games and lets not forget he struggled with injuries for the past 2 seasons and had a surgery this season. hes decent at best defensively but a beast in attack with good pace.

Antonini = clumsy and fluky as hell.
When was that exactly ?
Anto 2night > Janku's games combined of last season.
Still , I think we should field him in Dinho's position when needed.

Antonini plays well against midtable teams, but would get destroyed against proper opposition.

And yes Janku would do well in Dinho's position, he is after all a LW.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
he was out during most of the 2007-2008 season, and I thot he was good last season baring a few bad games and lets not forget he struggled with injuries for the past 2 seasons and had a surgery this season. hes decent at best defensively but a beast in attack with good pace.

Antonini = clumsy and fluky as hell.

Antonini plays well against midtable teams, but would get destroyed against proper opposition.

And yes Janku would do well in Dinho's position, he is after all a LW.

I admire your patience. Most people are missing that.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I admire your patience. Most people are missing that.

haha thats not the case, I really lost hope when it comes to full backs, people are happy with the likes of antonini which is depressing compared to serginho/maldini and hell even janku who is x10 the player antonini is were starting for us a few years ago.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
haha thats not the case, I really lost hope when it comes to full backs, people are happy with the likes of antonini which is depressing compared to serginho/maldini and hell even janku who is x10 the player antonini is were starting for us a few years ago.

but he's italian ZOMGZzzz

splooge.gif

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players

I see. It's true, we went from having splended fullbacks to average fullbacks. AC Milan defense used to be world class...:(

but he's italian ZOMGZzzz

and quick

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
people are happy with the likes of antonini which is depressing compared to serginho/maldini and hell even janku who is x10 the player antonini is were starting for us a few years ago.
Dont rush into that just 2 prove a point.
No1 is sayin that Anto or Abate r great FB not 2 mention the likes of Maldini + co.
The matter @ hand is choosing between the FBs we have & since Oddo , Zambro + Janku have been playin like shit since more than we can handle so its better 2 give a chance 4 Abate + Anto 2 prove if they can do better.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont rush into that just 2 prove a point.
No1 is sayin that Anto or Abate r great FB not 2 mention the likes of Maldini + co.
The matter @ hand is choosing between the FBs we have & since Oddo , Zambro + Janku have been playin like shit since more than we can handle so its better 2 give a chance 4 Abate + Anto 2 prove if they can do better.

I agree chances should be given to all players, but its clear that Antonini isnt good enough to be a starter, I mean ok he played well against the crap genoa based teams,chievo,parma and zurich, but what happened when he played against flair skillfull opponents like Miccoli and cavani from Palermo? total failure comes to mind.

Abate on the other hand can improve but the guy is too aggresive to be a RB, whenever hes near the penalty box I worry too much.

and IMO against teams like Manchester/Jube/Inter coming in the next month, I'd rather have oddo/zambrotta starting.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
and IMO against teams like Manchester/Jube/Inter coming in the next month, I'd rather have oddo/zambrotta starting.

this discussion really just highlights the poor quality of our fullbacks.

oddo/zamb have the experience, and (maybe) are less likely to mess up big time..but are sloooow as hell. opposite goes for anto/abate.

i don't know who i'd go with....maybe anto/abate based solely on pace/athleticism goin against valencia and co.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
Something 2 think about : put Inter instead of Milan while getting 3 penalties with 2 from dives + 1 offside goal (Bori's second) & what will we have ---- > CONSPIRACY :o

1st penalty was partly a dive,but it`s defender`s fault he streched out a leg and made contact with Ambro. 2nd and 3rd penalty were 100% legitimate.

Also,the offside was minimal,not 3 or 4 meters like it happened with Inter.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I agree chances should be given to all players, but its clear that Antonini isnt good enough to be a starter, I mean ok he played well against the crap genoa based teams,chievo,parma and zurich, but what happened when he played against flair skillfull opponents like Miccoli and cavani from Palermo? total failure comes to mind.

Abate on the other hand can improve but the guy is too aggresive to be a RB, whenever hes near the penalty box I worry too much.

I dont know what will happen when we play big teams but I do know how did Janku , Oddo + Zambro performed vs big + small teams & I wasnt impressed.
So Anto 2night had a good game & lets wait till he fucks up vs a big team b4 we say he couldnt handle coz we dont have a better choice.
I rather gamble with em rather than guaranteed shit like the older 3.

PS : notice the football we r playin -- > Nesta + Silva both in Genoa's area while scoring our second goal -- > Leo wuhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
this discussion really just highlights the poor quality of our fullbacks.

oddo/zamb have the experience, and (maybe) are less likely to mess up big time..but are sloooow as hell. opposite goes for anto/abate.

i don't know who i'd go with....maybe anto/abate based solely on pace/athleticism goin against valencia and co.

Sadly I can name more than 5 teams in serie A who have better full backs than Milan.

Playing Oddo against Giggs would be safe, While playing Zambrotta on the left and using Ambro as well to close Valencia is the safest bet.

Leo would be a ****** if he played with 1 defensive mid against United, we need Gattuso/Flamini and Ambrosini to start to close them down and help the full backs.

Schedule