The Tactics Thread

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
As for the "half-winger" that will play in the middle/ right for us, I think they view Boateng as someone who can fill the role. To me, he's certainly a true central midfielder. But it will be interesting to see how this formation develops, since there is no way that Seedorf remains a fixture in the starting XI.

I didn't really touch on that, but CLEARLY thats why he was signed.... to play that half-winger role. And if you look at 4th goal... I really can't tell who is forward and who is RCM between him and gattuso but thats exactly what happens... gattuso gets ball and makes a run like he's all of a sudden messi, and boateng continues that same run from deeper position

it would make sense as like cossu on right side, ronaldinho prefers left. I'm still not 100% certain if boateng can do it cause technically Lazzari is ahead of Boateng. They are probably even dribblers. Then again Boateng has miles more physical skill and that shouldn't be underrated.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Edit: Now what would you think if I told you, i wrote that on my living room with 3 friends over, we were watching "Hard Knocks" and was carrying on a conversation. Multi-tasking, my friend ;). Like a year ago majority of my posts were from my cell phone while hanging out w/ my gf of time.

sidenote on that: "Now, let's go get some goddamn snack!"- Rex Ryan

I would think that you were a Grade A SHOW OFF!

:D

Keep up the Good work. And don't forget your friends & enemies of the forum if you ever do become an EPL/Serie A coach (I know La Liga is beneath you :tongue:)

P.S. Oh and I would also think you have very boring Girl Friends / Friends :tongue:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Edit: Now what would you think if I told you, i wrote that on my living room with 3 friends over, we were watching "Hard Knocks" and was carrying on a conversation. Multi-tasking, my friend ;). Like a year ago majority of my posts were from my cell phone while hanging out w/ my gf of time.

Awesome post, but you know [OT] multitasking the way you do it isn't really recommended, it doesn't help concentration (as much as you think you're being concentrated)+you might underperform in something (grammar :tongue: ). [/OT]

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
As a sidenote: Gattuso played that 'half-winger' role as Allegri likes to call it.

If you watch the game you'll notice he got himself in GREAT positions going forward, and ibra found him, ronaldinho found him etc. But since it's Gattuso he couldn't do much with it. Point being the attacking tactic of half-winger was right. The personnel was wrong. He was making same runs/movement that seedorf made v. Lecce. Seedorf was missed.

I'm a little disappointed Allegri didn't use Boateng but it's early he hasn't trained much and milan had an international break. Boateng hopefully can prove his worth in the role, otherwise Milan need to hit market in january and try to swoop a player. Because this player is vital to allegri's tactical vision and can be quite useful in serie A as teams sit deep on our front 3, milan need a force coming from midfield to add some goalscoring potential to open game up more.

Sad we didn't pursue Aquilani on loan. He is perfect for the role, and loan would have meant minimal financial risk as he is an injury risk

Last edited:

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
SM84 you should really be doing something about football - especially at analyzing tactics and such. I've found your posts very helpful in understanding the tactics Allegri has put ... and just enjoying the game ..and knowing there's more into it then stars trying to find their way out. I may disagree with you on many aspects, but you're really good at this. You should be writing on some blog or something - especially concerning tactics.

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
I've just discovered this thread, I'll try and post some of my shite in here whilst hoping to avoid feeling out of my depth :tongue:

I like to think I'm fairly tactically aware, and I have a good understanding, but I don't really know my level tbh.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
M84, if you write a tactics blog I'll translate it into English for you.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Well, Gattuso wasn't the only midfielder pushing forward ... Ambro was as well. Gattuso on the right, Ambro on the left. When one pushed forward, the other tried to sit back and protect Pirlo. However, on the second goal, both were forward (setpiece) and so Cesena split us open rather easily.

Nothing new IMO ... its the same old problem we've been facing for sometime now, and I really think the problem is us having too many "specialized" players. I've said this a million times ... but since all our opponents know us all too well, why do we persist with playing Pirlo in the holding role?

How many times have we seen Ambro/Gattuso/Flamini pushed further forward, with only Pirlo protecting the defense? Make matters worse, since we play a narrow midfield, most of the time, wingbacks are pushing forward as well ... and this is crowned by the fact that our wingers/wing forwards do little to no defending.

Successful Milan sides have always based their success on solid defending. Being very well organized and incredibly difficult to break. Thats the mark of an exceptional team. And while we have competent players like Silva, Nesta, Sokratis, Ambro (on his day), etc. these tactical setups made to accommodate specialized players like Pirlo and Dinho make us very easy to break down mainly due to a lack of organization.

By specialized players, I'm talking about players who do certain things incredibly well, but are sometimes awful in other departments. Like Pirlo is an exceptional passer of the ball, with vision to match, yet is pretty poor defensively by DM standards. Or Dinho can be an assist beast, but his work-rate defensively (helping CM + LB) and offensively (off the ball movement, attack the left flank, cutting into the center with the ball) is poor in comparison to more conventional/orthodox wingers.

In order to accommodate these players, you either have to get them to work hard at improving the areas of their game that are below par, OR field other types of players in a system to make up for their shortcomings. Its why Gattuso and Pirlo made such a formidable partnership ...

In our case, we had Pirlo, and then added Dinho to the mix ... and I think its a little too much to ask of the other players, who have either deteriorated OR been replaced by players of lower quality. Top things off, we've gone one step further and now added Ibra to the mix.

Now I know Ibra's a very capable CF ... and any team would want a striker of his ability in their lineup. But lets be honest ... before Pippo came on the pitch on Saturday, no one was in the box, giving players an option to pass to. Ibra dropped so deep, he was even passing to Gattuso who was further up the pitch. It was all too clever IMO, and we outsmarted ourselves with all this specialized play.

Before we signed Ibra, I did mention that I thought Ibra wasn't the striker we needed who would maximize Dinho's skillset. I still think he'll be able to combine better with Dinho than Bori, but I think Dzeko is much more suited to playing with Dinho. Reason being, well ... they're both similar-type players ... both like the ball to their feet, botch feed off the movement of other players around them. Both are capable of absolute brilliant moments of magic, of course, but when they're both playing in comfort zones, there's not much movement up front. Only Pato was getting into dangerous positions, and while Ibra + Dinho are talented as fuck, they simply aren't the sum of their abilities when played together.

That said, Robinho brings another option to the table. I see a lot of people have him and Pato in their starting lineup alongside Ibra, and I'd tend to agree with them. Of course, Dinho is still capable, and if we'd signed someone like Dzeko instead of Ibra, I'd think Dinho would be a better option to Binho ... but we didn't.

Thats not to say Ibra and Dinho cannot play together. If they work hard at providing the movement the other needs + develop some sort of chemistry together, they will be unstoppable. But easier said than done ...

Back to Pirlo ... I'll be honest ... I've had enough of watching him sit in front of the backline + Ambro and Gattuso/Flamini push forward. It doesn't make sense anymore because everyone knows thats what we will do. He simply has to push up more forward, and if he isn't able to deal with the extra pressure that further up the pitch, we should honestly think of replacing him with someone who can. Since, even though Clarence was branded "worst player on the night" against Lecce, we really did miss him against Cesena ... much as we did last season after we lost him to injury.

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
In our case, we had Pirlo, and then added Dinho to the mix ... and I think its a little too much to ask of the other players, who have either deteriorated OR been replaced by players of lower quality. Top things off, we've gone one step further and now added Ibra to the mix.

Now I know Ibra's a very capable CF ... and any team would want a striker of his ability in their lineup. But lets be honest ... before Pippo came on the pitch on Saturday, no one was in the box, giving players an option to pass to. Ibra dropped so deep, he was even passing to Gattuso who was further up the pitch. It was all too clever IMO, and we outsmarted ourselves with all this specialized play.

Before we signed Ibra, I did mention that I thought Ibra wasn't the striker we needed who would maximize Dinho's skillset. I still think he'll be able to combine better with Dinho than Bori, but I think Dzeko is much more suited to playing with Dinho. Reason being, well ... they're both similar-type players ... both like the ball to their feet, botch feed off the movement of other players around them. Both are capable of absolute brilliant moments of magic, of course, but when they're both playing in comfort zones, there's not much movement up front. Only Pato was getting into dangerous positions, and while Ibra + Dinho are talented as fuck, they simply aren't the sum of their abilities when played together.

That said, Robinho brings another option to the table. I see a lot of people have him and Pato in their starting lineup alongside Ibra, and I'd tend to agree with them. Of course, Dinho is still capable, and if we'd signed someone like Dzeko instead of Ibra, I'd think Dinho would be a better option to Binho ... but we didn't.

Thats not to say Ibra and Dinho cannot play together. If they work hard at providing the movement the other needs + develop some sort of chemistry together, they will be unstoppable. But easier said than done ...

totally agree with the ibra + dinho + pirlo creative overload
i belive its too much for them playing together and even if we get them to take take chances on being the guy that gives the killer pass
it will never maximise their abilities
since we cant let go of pirlo in the mid and we need a target man in the its zlatan and pirlo with pato and binho on the wings
i might come across as a hater but over the last year i was going through the arguments why ron needed to stay in the starting 11,most ones defending him said that hes was always the one giving the killer pass etc etc
but now since we have that in zlatan
can someone really argue and unmotivated ron is still the soul of the attack?
seems only a liability now

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Why Don't We Use Pirlo As the 'Half Winger'?

Because he works better when he has room.

(inserting YT videos doesn't make the points stronger. Just flash)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I honestly believe I am the most tactically knowledgeable person on the boards :D I am almost never wrong, which is why I am difficult to understand. Milano's half blaf winger is something I touched upon back in the day when Italy won the world cup ... for example. Therefore, you must almost always come to me for tactical advice.

Yours truly,

madtherchot.

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
"The player needs to express himself within the parameters laid out by the manager and make decisions based on that. It's not about being skillful or athletic, rather about being a player. I never wanted robots or individualists, I wanted people with the intelligence to understand me and the spirit to put that intelligence to the service of the team. In short, I wanted people who knew how to play football." - Arrigo Sacchi

Wise words, but the reason I brought up this quote is because of the apparent similarities between Sacchi's footballing philosophy and Allegri's training methods. It begs the question (again), why are we playing a 4-3-3 when the only player who benefits from that formation is Ronaldinho? Playing via the wings instead of narrow football leaves a lot of gaps centrally, where our midfield is easily penetrated. It leaves a lot of work for the midfielders as the wing-forwards seldom track back, while Pirlo becomes useless if everything goes through Ronaldinho on the wing, as it did last season. "Receive ball, control, pass to Ronaldinho, cross to Borriello... bicycle kick attempt." Rinse and repeat.

You need a hardworking midfield for a 4-3-3 to function and quite simply, a trio of Pirlo, Ambrosini and Flamini don't have the energy to carry the workload of the front line. A 4-3-1-2 is effectively a four-man midfield and I'm inclined to believe that it would bring the best out of Pirlo, Pato and Ibrahimovic... but Ronaldinho is obviously more effective on the left. With Sacchi, it was all about off-the-ball movement and that's the one area where we lack the most. Once the ball is lost, our strongest starting XI neither has the discipline nor the energy to press and control the space.

A 4-3-3 is far more predictable as well, you simply know that the midfield's job is to deliver the ball to the forwards who will either attempt to dribble and cut inside, cross the ball or hold it up. With Ronaldinho, Zlatan and Pato, teams know who's doing what exactly. The 4-3-1-2 is more dynamic, you have your playmaker, ball-winner and possibly a box-to-box midfielder, with a trequartista on the tip. It's nowhere near as predictable and in essence, a four-man midfield allows every player to interchange with one other. There has to be genuine desire to work for the collective good and I didn't see that at all in the past year.

To borrow a few of Sacchi's words, you don't throw in a group of talented players and try to balance it out with the addition of a defensive midfielder, you build a team around a specific system. To end with another quote: "Football has a script. The actors, if they’re great actors, can interpret the script and lines according to their creativity, but they still have to follow the script." Needless to say, that's certainly not the case as our team is built to accommodate Ronaldinho, rather than Ronaldinho sacrificing himself for the good of the other 10 players in the team.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I honestly believe I am the most tactically knowledgeable person on the boards :D I am almost never wrong, which is why I am difficult to understand. Milano's half blaf winger is something I touched upon back in the day when Italy won the world cup ... for example. Therefore, you must almost always come to me for tactical advice.

Yours truly,

madtherchot.

:D. I respect your arrogance.

BTW you are totally true about italy's world cup tactics, and i saw it then too. It's a reason I always loved italian teams style over english. There tactics are based on roles/intelligence over positioning. A 4 man italian midfield won't have 2 wingers, 2 cms persay... it's more about having 4 men who have certain roles and know how to move into space and cover each other. Less predictable more entertaining football for me.

I believe this is what Allegri wants and I wish he could pull it off. The worst shame of it for me is pato + ibra is a PERFECT striker duo in a 2 striker system. They compliment each other perfectly.

The issue is Ronaldinho/Robinho are too talented to bench both. Plus milan doesn't exactly have 4 high quality midfielders. Now you can discuss fantasy football all day 'milan should sell dinho for a midfielder' etc. etc. etc. And it's not a bad idea, it just holds no relevance to a tactical discussion of current milan.

Fiero

Reaction score
Okay, so our faults were obvious today as well. First off, I want to tell everyone who was asking for Ambro to be dropped, watch today's game again. Auxerre almost killed us on counter on a couple of times, due to the absence of a ball winner in midfield. This could have been very easily a different result on another day.

Ambro is a must in midfield. Today, I thought what Allegri did took courage, but against bigger opponents this would be suicidal. Pirlo is shit defensively, so when Ambro was off, our midfield was exposed. I was pleased that Seedorf ran a little more than usual today, to help in defense (especially at Auxerre's counter from the corner kick that almost gave them the lead had their player passed the ball), but the jury remains the same. I still believe that Prince and Seedorf should fight for one place only. They both offer almost the same result, albeit through different ways. Prince was impressive today, but he's not a ball winner. That's not his job. He was very comfortable going forward, just like Seedorf, but he lacks the positioning sense to be a ball winner. Pirlo is Pirlo and we have to live with it. So there always has to be a ball winner in the midfield, at least one, and that is either Ambro, Flamini, or Gattuso.

I feel that Allegri today just didn't want to use Gattuso again. I respect that, yet people shouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions and claim that we won today, so Prince should start instead of Ambrosini. If not for some luck today, and the brilliance of Nesta, we could have easily conceded on more than one occasion. So Kudos to Nesta, and the rest of our back line and goalkeeper, for keeping a clean sheet today, despite not using a single defensive minded midfielder today.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Fast forward to 2:12 and focus on top of screen on prince. Where he starts run and finishes it. Near identical diagonal deep run, Lazzari used to do at Cagliari. Major difference is Boateng is alot faster/more athletic than most anyone.

Allegri LOVES these diagonal times runs.... I feel like he'd love lampard.

Truth of matter is, that they are hard to stop, and when you got a forward line ronaldinho who likes to drift wide, it'll create space for it

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zonal Marking about Ajax 1 x 1 Milan

Max Allegri used an off-centre midfield diamond supporting Robinho and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, making a formation that was not entirely dissimilar from the one Robinho has enjoyed with Brazil in recent years. Mathieu Flamini played as a shuttler on the right, with Rino Gattuso doing a more defensive-minded job on the left, and Clarence Seedorf playing as a rightish central playmaker.

I watched the game, but didn't figure this simlarity. That's a very interesting point. Seedorf was our Kaká, Ibra our Fabiano, Gattuso our Felipe Melo and Robinho himself.

The difference comes from Flamini and Pirlo. If you think about it, Boateng is much more suited to this job (Elano/Ramires) in the right. But Flamini fill more defensive duties, since Pirlo is no Gilberto Silva at all. But Pirlo himself can give something Dunga's team lacked - possession and creativity coming from deep.

Christmas Tree?

At some points Milan’s system looked more like a Christmas Tree shape, when Flamini took up a defensive position, and Robinho came inside to join Seedorf in the middle. This caused Ajax problems as they were unable to deal with the double trequartista threat, with Seedorf being more influential than Robinho.

Now I've see that too. So, for the first time in many months we don't play Ronaldinho as a left winger in a 4-3-3, and suddenly the team starts to work on another shapes. Altough I remember Ronaldinho coming inside a lot, it was never enough to make the team looks like we have two trequartistas in the middle. For the first time it looks like we got some serious tatical variation upfront.

And this made me question: Why Ronaldinho can't fill this place? No one asked him to do so? Is he so attracted to the left that he can't push center? It's Leo and Allegri who never tried him? It really puzzles me.

BTW, I don't think Allegri will stick to neither of this tatics. The one striker system will be dead as soon as Pato is back I think. And problably the 4-3-3 will be back.

And an excellent comment on the same page, but not much optimistic by Roberticus:

Sam, I’d say last years system was more of a 4-3-3 since Pato and Ronaldinho played incredibly high up the pitch as forwards. At times, with the addition of Seedorf, it became a 4-2-1-3 which almost led to it becoming a ‘broken’ team.

Whatever one’s preferences, any system Milan opt to play is conditioned by Pirlo’s presence as the deepest-lying midfielder; most teams simply don’t set up that way. In most 4-3-3s, the deepest midfielder is usually the most defensive and liberates the others to go forward – the opposite in Milan’s case, where the more combative players tend to screen in front of Pirlo.

YOu could even argue that this is also true of Milan’s diamond system, since it features a relatively tight midfield trio.

Interestingly, Allegri said midweek after the Genoa game that Milan’s lines were too distant from each other and that this made it harder for the team to find fluidity, that is, to string passes among each other over such gaping distances (you can understand why the long-ball to Ibra is becoming a measure of the midfielders’ desperation then).

With this in mind, maybe last night’s system vs Ajax (a 4-3-1-2) was designed to place the ball-players (Pirlo, Seedorf + Robinho) closer to one another.

This Milan appears to rely on masticating the ball before looking for the telling pass,and since they don’t really have ‘llegada’ or box-to-box runs from midfield (especially when Boateng is absent), it is their only way to arrive at the opponents’ area (ideally, a team should have elements of both).

It is still worrying, however, that Milan are resorting to long-balls to Ibra – usually telling sign of teams who are suffering an absence of creativity in midfield (Cappello’s Juve and Mancini’s Inter sides)who just feed him the ball and hope either he produces some magic by himself or lays it off for a fellow attacker in his vicinity.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
And this made me question: Why Ronaldinho can't fill this place? No one asked him to do so? Is he so attracted to the left that he can't push center? It's Leo and Allegri who never tried him? It really puzzles me.

I think both HAVE. I think issue is he wont. Leo tried him in hole, failed. Both carlo and Leo got a little success out of him in xmas tree, but thats closest

so issue becomes who else can play trequartista? Seedorf... POSSIBLY robinho in an xmas tree but then q comes... pat or ibra, cause u can't play both, but being as both are the best attackers you don't wanna bench either. Then you got issue, ibra isn't best at solo forward and its a bit of a waste. But you aren't gonna benc him

ibra is skilled enough to play in the hole in an xmas tree.. again ur wasting him and too a degree you're wasting pato as just a poaching in xmas tree also...

Ronaldinho is kind of posing a tactical nightmare to be honest. It might have been better if milan got van der vaart over robinho, but even then. Robinho is capable of playing a lot of different roles.

I don't fully agree with his point Milan copied Brazil's tactics btw, cause only similarity is robinho, lol. So really if he's saying robinho played like robinho, then yes. He did. Otherwise ever 4-3-1-2=brazil and that's not true

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think both HAVE. I think issue is he wont. Leo tried him in hole, failed. Both carlo and Leo got a little success out of him in xmas tree, but thats closest

so issue becomes who else can play trequartista? Seedorf... POSSIBLY robinho in an xmas tree but then q comes... pat or ibra, cause u can't play both, but being as both are the best attackers you don't wanna bench either. Then you got issue, ibra isn't best at solo forward and its a bit of a waste. But you aren't gonna benc him

ibra is skilled enough to play in the hole in an xmas tree.. again ur wasting him and too a degree you're wasting pato as just a poaching in xmas tree also...

Ronaldinho is kind of posing a tactical nightmare to be honest. It might have been better if milan got van der vaart over robinho, but even then. Robinho is capable of playing a lot of different roles.

Yeah, I don't think Allegri will go too far with the xmas tree. Maybe when our wingers occasionally came inside to make a necessary change of shape to the attack - I can think one or two tatical situations were this can be useful. But not a start for every match. Against Ajax we are without Pato and Ronnie was benched. But a more defensive and solid formation thatn the 4-3-3 can be considered for away games in UCL I think.

I don't fully agree with his point Milan copied Brazil's tactics btw, cause only similarity is robinho, lol. So really if he's saying robinho played like robinho, then yes. He did. Otherwise ever 4-3-1-2=brazil and that's not true

It's not about the players I think, but it was the same hibrid 4-4-2 diamond shape with one left winger and a RM/CM who can either form a line of 3 in front of the defense or play higher to form a 2-2 (or 2-3 if Robinho tracks back). But it just on paper, Flamini didn't fill this role.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
It's not about the players I think, but it was the same hibrid 4-4-2 diamond shape with one left winger and a RM/CM who can either form a line of 3 in front of the defense or play higher to form a 2-2 (or 2-3 if Robinho tracks back). But it just on paper, Flamini didn't fill this role.

yeah i'd feel a lot more comfortable with this if we had a more athletic/quick trequartista. Someone like Ozil would have been ideal.

But question comes, what happens when Pato returns what to do....

i still think best is a hybrid 4-4-2 system w/ robinho, pirlo, gattuo, boateng.... it's unbalanced but atleast all 4 players work hard

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i'd feel a lot more comfortable with this if we had a more athletic/quick trequartista. Someone like Ozil would have been ideal.

But question comes, what happens when Pato returns what to do....

i still think best is a hybrid 4-4-2 system w/ robinho, pirlo, gattuo, boateng.... it's unbalanced but atleast all 4 players work hard

I agree about the trequartista. We all love Seedorf, but he clearly can't be our playmaker every game. A 4-3-1-2 brings too the focus from the opposition over him, just like Diego last year for Juve. I don't think not even Pirlo can compensate. It's not a good general plan for Calcio, but still can work in some games.

Altough an attack Ibra + Pato has everything needed to become legendary, I don't see our midfield with the right pieces at the moment to support them. We lack above all the playmaker or equivalent box-to-box players.

I also don't trust Robinho in a 4 man midfield. He is not good playing so far from the goal. Maybe he can prove me wrong, but I doubt by now. He improved a lot in his tatical awareness and work-rate since leaving Santos the first time, but for me he still lacks the discipline needed by a midfielder to the point that he would be wasted in his more offensive habilities playing there.

That's just to say I still see the 4-3-3 as the best option. But now we have alternatives, we can change games, we have a plan B and Allegri proved that we are not an one-dimensional team anymore.

Edit: I understand the 18 millions we spended for Robinho as also a display of confidence in the 4-3-3. You know, this money could have been spended in some trequartista or another midfield player, but when you bring four very good forwards, it shows you are not willing to bench 2 of them...

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I still believe in terms of UCL or vs. inter our best bet is 4 man midfield w/ seedorf, pirlo, boateng, gattuso. I know it sounds old but Milan simply aren't athletic enough in midfield to play a 4-3-3 v. top competitions. With Ibra + Pato/Robinho there is more than enough skill/technique to compensate for compact midfield. And unlike inter's 4-3-1-2 w/ ibra i think milan's midfield offers more technique/creativity (but less strength). More so, while leaving robinho/ron on the bench that would atleast give milan real firepower if they have to chase a game.

Vs. smaller serie A competition some variation a 4-3-3 makes sense because attack is needed to break them down.

As for your point on Robinho. Well thats definitely a valid point, but at same time playing wide midfield/floating to attack would give him space he needs to operate and get running. He's not strong enough to play up top in serie A so he'd have to make it on pace/skill alone. I can't think of too many players like him who have excelled as a pure striker in serie A. More so in man city he was used for alot of the second half of 08/09 at LM in a 4-4-2. Mixed success but really he roamed changing teams look from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3, which is what i'd suggest with milan. And if he can learn it can even take look of a 4-3-1-2 with him behind ibra/pato.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In Friday's match against the Czech Republic, Scotland manager Craig Levein fielded a highly innovative 4-6-0 formation. It shaped up like this:

- 2 centre backs
- 2 athletic, attacking (by nature, although not in this game) full backs
- 1 centre back playing as a static defensive midfielder
- 1 mobile destroyer
- 2 technically competent "creative" centre midfielders
- 2 reasonably athletic, hard working wide players
- 0 strikers

Has anyone seen a team play with no strikers before? I remember Spalletti's Roma playing with Totti as a floating centre forward, but he usually occupied a centre back and there would be 2 or 3 players looking to run beyond him at all times. That's as close as I can come up with.

Anyone?

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What was the team?

In 15 years, goal.com will write an article about how Craig Levein was ahead of his time, the unrivaled genius.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i know it was a friendly game and 1st half but i rememberd that Milan - Chelsea game...Ambrosini was pretending to be a striker? :tongue:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What was the team?

In 15 years, goal.com will write an article about how Craig Levein was ahead of his time, the unrivaled genius.

McGregor

Hutton Weir McManus Whittaker

Fletcher Caldwell
J. Mackie Morrison Dorrans Naismith

Important points:

- Jamie Mackie, not Darren.
- 2 attacking, incredibly stupid, full backs asked to sit deep and hold position.
- Neither "winger" is fast enough to pose a threat by simply running at the corner flag for punts in behind.
- Unathletic creative midfielders are not particularly effective when used 80 yards from the opposition goal, with no target moving ahead of them.
- Those are West Brom's creative midfielders. West Brom's midfield do great in games where the opposition is better at keeping possession, right?

I think the system might have been invented to suit David Weir. It's one thing building a team around Ronaldinho, but it's another thing altogether to build it around a 40-year-old centre back who wasn't good enough when he walked out on his country 8 years ago.

I am unhappy.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
i know it was a friendly game and 1st half but i rememberd that Milan - Chelsea game...Ambrosini was pretending to be a striker? :tongue:

exactly what i was going to say... zambrotta was a wide midfielder.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
McGregor

Hutton Weir McManus Whittaker

Fletcher Caldwell
J. Mackie Morrison Dorrans Naismith

Important points:

- Jamie Mackie, not Darren.
- 2 attacking, incredibly stupid, full backs asked to sit deep and hold position.
- Neither "winger" is fast enough to pose a threat by simply running at the corner flag for punts in behind.
- Unathletic creative midfielders are not particularly effective when used 80 yards from the opposition goal, with no target moving ahead of them.
- Those are West Brom's creative midfielders. West Brom's midfield do great in games where the opposition is better at keeping possession, right?

I think the system might have been invented to suit David Weir. It's one thing building a team around Ronaldinho, but it's another thing altogether to build it around a 40-year-old centre back who wasn't good enough when he walked out on his country 8 years ago.

I am unhappy.

That's excellent, though Dorrans is pretty quick.

Is there no other option in the entire country than Morrison? He's shite for West Brom, in better news for Scotland, Snodgrass is doing well for Leeds since he's come back from injury.

Also, why no Steven Fletcher?

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That's excellent, though Dorrans is pretty quick.

Is there no other option in the entire country than Morrison? He's shite for West Brom, in better news for Scotland, Snodgrass is doing well for Leeds since he's come back from injury.

Also, why no Steven Fletcher?

Steven Fletcher doesn't play because he's our best striker. Kenny Miller, picked without fail for the last 10 years in spite of consistent mediocrity, didn't play because right now he's in the form of his life and averaging better than a goal per game.

Morrison plays because he's an English reject, which makes him exotic and, apparently, just plain better. Same goes for Jamie Mackie, who has apparently said that he's playing for Scotland because he feels that international football will look good on his CV.

Fuck international football. I think I'll be a Brazil fan. LOOOOOOOL at Shitaly!!!!!!

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Fuck international football. I think I'll be a Brazil fan. LOOOOOOOL at Shitaly!!!!!!

clarence-seedorf-001.jpg

Schedule